Newbie brake caliper question

VagPhillips

TDI
2005.5 pkg 2
First of all, please forgive my ignorance.
I just purchased this car 2001 Jetta TDI 115k. I was getting the tires rotated at a tire store and was told I needed new front and rear brakes. I suspected that I did, no metal sound or anything, but they felt wierd, so agreed.
I just got a call saying that the rear brakes had "gone too far" and the calipers were damaged. Calipers were needing to be replaced.
After doing a little searching on these forums, it seems that it takes a good deal of force to push/turn the piston? in the caliper, even saw the link to the special tool.
Is it possible that these guys at a tire store don't know this, haven't pushed hard enough and are about to slam me for an extra $300 or whatever it was for new calipers that I don't need?
Or is it not a bad idea to replace them anyway?
I defer to the higher minds.
Thanks

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
VagPhillips said:
First of all, please forgive my ignorance.
I just purchased this car 2001 Jetta TDI 115k. I was getting the tires rotated at a tire store and was told I needed new front and rear brakes. I suspected that I did, no metal sound or anything, but they felt wierd, so agreed.
I just got a call saying that the rear brakes had "gone too far" and the calipers were damaged. Calipers were needing to be replaced.
After doing a little searching on these forums, it seems that it takes a good deal of force to push/turn the piston? in the caliper, even saw the link to the special tool.
Is it possible that these guys at a tire store don't know this, haven't pushed hard enough and are about to slam me for an extra $300 or whatever it was for new calipers that I don't need?
Or is it not a bad idea to replace them anyway?
I defer to the higher minds.
Thanks
Vag, welcome aboard! Anybody with a name like that can't be all bad, I say :D

Yes, the rear brakes must be retracted via a brake wind back tool...at least that's the name we've given it. See Metalnerd.

Calipers can last a lifetime. In other instances they don't. YMMV!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
This would be the finest wind back tool money can buy:

Vag, can you forward this thread to the "mechanics" at the "repair" shop :confused: Let 'em know you're on it!

VagPhillips

TDI
2005.5 pkg 2
Follow up-Talked to the mechanic again, he claimed to have the tool or a version on it, actually sounded fairly knowledgable about VW's. Swore the threads were not catching, will give me the part and show me the blisters.
Oh well. Dieseldorf thanks for your prompt reply. This is another case where I should have listened to my mother and learned mechanics. Am going to attempt a TB change next weekend with help from a guru on here.
Be patient with me, I will probably be asking a lot of questions as I learn this machine.

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
VagPhillips said:
Is it possible to get a version of this tool locally at a parts store?
Thanks again
in answer to yoru question yes you can. i bought mine at autozone and it will fit many different brands of cars. it goes on the end of a 3/8 drive ratchet. it looks like this.