New to us 2015 TDI SEL Jetta 6spd

LSYJ

TDI
99 Jetta 5spd 285k
Back last August my fiancé bought her self her first newer car. She wanted a 4 door car that had heated seats/ a manual trans and still got decent mileage. The jetta fit the bill. had 40k on it when we bought it love it so far. She is new to the diesel world and VW world. Car has 50k on it now and we love every minute of it.

Just looking for anything to watch out for on these cars?

We are looking to tune it and delete it once the warranty is up at 64k.

Any common upgrade to improve this that or the other?

Thanks in advance.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
The extended emissions warranty for your 2015 should be good for 11 years/162k miles (covers emissions system, fuel system, turbo, etc), a delete would void this. Something to keep in mind, enjoy your Jetta!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
As stated above the car is under the extended VW Warranty is to 162k tuning and deleting will void the warranty.....it will also break the law.....something to think about!

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Become very familiar with "Stage 0", that is, learning about the maintenance intervals, fluid requirements, and proper treatment. Intervals like the 20k fuel filter, 40k DSG service, and 10k oil change. Fluids, like familiarizing and finding a source for VW 507 certified oil. Proper treatment, like cooldown procedures, trying not to interrupt a regen if you can help it, avoid frequent short trips.

Beyond that, I've found the car is damn near perfect for commuting and big miles. This is the first VW car i've had where I've decided to leave the intake and exhaust alone. Honestly, the intake is not restrictive and pulls cold air. There are no gains to be had by doing exhaust and not doing a DPF and SCR delete. You could also do a tune, but all these things void the killer awesome warranty from dieselgate. Like others have said, you're good for 11yr/162k which covers:

- The entire emissions system, including SCR, DPF, EGR
- Turbocharger and longblock. Yes, everything below the valve cover and above the oil pan.
- The entire fuel system, including the HPFP, injectors and lift pump.

Sure, you can mod it, but it would be a tragedy to lose that awesome coverage. I suggest looking into the mods that can be done with VCDS, like disabling the seatbelt chime, DRL mods, turn signal convenience blinking, windows/sunroof down with remote.

Good luck.

LSYJ

TDI
99 Jetta 5spd 285k
Thanks for the head up on the warranty, we were told when she bought it that this car only had stage 1 of the fixes which is the software upgrade. The parts for stage 2 which is the hard parts upgrade were not going to be available till march of this year. We have not heard anything since we bought the car. Also we were told the new warranty was 2yrs/24k miles. :confused:

I am a stickler on fluid changes, i used to own a 99 jetta for a couple years but lost it in a divorce.....:mad:

The only reason we would tune would be to get rid of the SCR system and the need for DEF. The power increase will be welcome too :D

I am no stranger to tuning diesel i have modified the last few truck i have had. My latest truck the ram in my sig was great till the DEF injector gave me fits. 4 injectors later(all under warranty and weeks in the shop for SCR issues) i deleted the truck.

I find the new SCR systems to be much better then the old DPF systems but none are perfect. We have a small DEF leak in the engine bay that i found last month on the Jetta so that will go back in for warranty.

She plans on keeping the car for a long time and when this one becomes higher miles we will buy another and turn this into our flat tow car behind the camper.

On a side note... the old filter location on these cars is dumb compared to the old ones which were up top.... the oil extractor i bought seems worthless now since you have to get under the car anyway..