New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I need some advice. Recently I ordered online a set of front brake pads for my 2013 Passat TDI SEL. New pads have the wear indicator connector. When I removed the old pads I noticed they did not have the connector. Can I use the new pads and just snip the wire off the new pad.
...if I understand it.

... the "wire" is the low pad warning NOISE maker.

... It also warns you to avoid metal to metal contact. Right?

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Thanks, I have found these forums very helpful over time. I noticed the thread about not changing oil sooner than 5K. Recently I was able to buy one of the 2015 sportwagen tdi golf models that had been in storage at a dealer since the stop work order. They had made some adjustment to the software that complied with the fix required for these cars. The dealer had done some prep after taking it out of storage which included changing the oil, they put in the typical Castrol 5w30 which they all carry. I ran the car in for the first 900 miles and dropped it so I could run the 5w40wt that I have always preferred. Call it superstition I guess but it makes me more comfortable and the original break in oil was already gone so no benefit there. Car runs well and I think this will be a good deal. I use the Shell Rotell T6 which has seemed to work out fine.
If you intend to keep the car stock, you should be using the low-ash, VW spec 507 oil.

TheFireman

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
New Golf owner, probalbly wrong forum

New-to-me VW owner.

No badges or owner's manual so I'm not sure of the exact model,
but the dealer said it was a Golf.

I'm posting the VIN.

VIN: WVWAB7AJ0AW32----

It's not a diesel, so I am probably on the wrong forum,
but you all have a lot of traffic, so I like it.

Let me know if I should find another forum..

Thanks

Ernest

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
We don't really have a non TDI VW forum. You can try VWVortex, gets a little crazy over there but lots of traffic.
You can find VIN decoders on line to help get you started.

Slowmotion

TDI
2005 MK4 TDI Wagon, 2004 MK4 GLI (soon to be TDI), MK4 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, B5 A4 4.2 Avant (swap in progress)
Hello from a new TDI owner! Recently picked up a 05 Jetta Wagon TDI that stalls when you shift into any drive gear with an 04 Jetta TDI parts car with an 02J.

Plan is to get the wagon running with the 02J, clean it up, use it and start to enjoy the TDI life.

After that, I plan on putting the extra TDI motor into my GLI 1.8t with a sourced TDI 02M. Based on what I've read, lurking through this forum a bit, the swap is not the smartest thing to do, as it's easier to sell the GLI and find a working TDI and make that into a GLI instead. However, I've owned the GLI since new and now with this parts car I can pull all of the TDI specific parts from, it should be possible without too much heart ache.

Sockets

TDI
2006 Jetta
Greetings

Greeetings everyone, New here and I have many questions about my '06 Jetta TDI. Its my first one and I love it! Only have just over 100,000 miles on her and plan on (hoping) to run for a long time. I'm still getting use to blog and reading through all the topics....but in time I will be asking questions.
Thanks,
Sockets

nelr923

TDI
2013 Jetta
With any luck I'll be picking up a 2001 Golf today! Pretty clean and stock piece. Plan to use it as my wife's daily but I'm sure I'll modify it some. Glad to see there is a huge forum here for any help I may need.

Dreznon

TDI
ALH

Hello I have an '03 Jetta TDI and live in Houston, TX. Nice to meet all of you and I cannot wait to get my baby running right, so I can sport that cool license plate cover!

Audi78

TDI
2015 PASSAT SE
Hello Everyone,
I would like to already say thank you for all the info I have already been able to read, and learn from.

I just purchased a 2015 Passat SE TDi (NSM). I read many comments about break-in periods, but I would like to add my variable and see what many say here.

I purchased my veh with 2,100 miles; which has probbaly been sitting and had to replace my battery already (at no cost to me thankfully), but generated this question for y'all. Should I go ahead and replace my oil now (before 10K miles) due to the circumstances of it sitting? Do I still follow break-in standards and wait until 10K service? Basically does time trump mileage here?

Excited to enter this world of diesel and longevity, but want to make sure I do so correctly. Appreciate the feedback and info!

Chrees

TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI
Hello tdiclub and thank you for accepting my request to join the forum. My name is Chris and I have just recently purchased a 2006 Golf GLS TDI. The previous owner decided to replace the suspension with GTI components and GTI wheels. I have to say, getting use to diesel was a little rocky at first. Shifting points are what really threw me off versus my all my gas cars.

Currently, my brake line fittings are striking the beefy end links the previous owner has installed. The sway bar is a 23mm from a GTI and the front brake calipers are from a GTI as well. I purchased OEM end links in hopes to solve this problem although finding a specific fix or someone who has experienced my problem is a little tricky. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to solve this problem I'd greatly appreciate it! Until then, I'm going to be researching and trying to find local TDI owners to learn more about this platform. Look forward to meeting you all.

TMccord12

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6M
Greetings

Hi everyone, it feels good to be back in the VW fold. My first car was a 1967 Baja Bug, great car but not so much fun in the Colorado winter. My second was a MK3 Jetta (RIP), and now I've sold my trusty Subaru Forester and picked up a 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, six speed manual.

It took me months to find this car, but it was well worth the wait. This is my first TDI, so I look forward to learning more about these amazing machines and seeing everyone else's!

Best,
Tom

69Veewee

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta

Hey all, I joined a while back but just getting around to posting. I had a 2003 TDI Jetta that I rolled last August, then bought a 2006 TDI Jetta. I've been lurking a lot lol. I'm loving my TDI and next week getting it straight piped and tuned!

2002TDIguy

TDI
2002 jetta ALH
Hi TDI owners. I've owned my 2002 Jetta TDI for about 7 years and just love it. I'm sure I can get the answers I require from this forum and maybe I can answer some questions also.

hmosley

TDI
BEW
My TDI swap

I am doing a TDI swap on a Toyota frame. I have a 2004 TDI BEW. I brought the VW abs brakes over but cut the sensor out. Can I just loop the wires eliminating abs sensors and would my TDI still turn over? Another question I have is, is there a reason why the computer is under the hood of the car or can I put it in the cab of my truck?

TheSwP

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SE, 2015 Passat TDI SE
Rookie Owner Into

Hey, everyone!

My name is Curtis. Pretty new to the diesel world, and trying to get up to speed. Something of a car guy, have had a few classics and projects in my history. Family life brought a new focus on reliability and peace of mind over tinkering, so I've cashed a lot of toys in. I bought a 2014 Jetta with the DSG for my wife with the hopes of getting a long service life of efficient driving. I fell in love with the way the car drives and handles and also how solidly it seems to be built. Hoping to learn some tips and tricks about driving habits, maintenance, and mods from you pros to get the most out of it! Waiting on the fix for it, hoping they don't nerf my car too badly!

I just picked up one of the post-recall 2015 Passat TDI SEs with DSG also. I've noticed the motor doesn't seem as responsive but I'm not sure if it's a product of the heavier body, the def and emissions add-ons, or just because it's in the earlier stages of break in. (I am reading the break-in thread right now, already have a few solid bits of advice I'm going to make good use of).
I love it too, but the Jetta is still my favorite.

This forum is awesome, and I'm happy to be a part of it! Looking forward to tuning these cars in and making the most of these great little engines!

Curtis

Ronner

TDI
New 2015 Golf TDI dsg
Hi all, grabbed a new Golf TDI (2015) just over 2 weeks ago now. Really enjoying the car and the mileage it gives. Did a 8+ hour 700 plus KM. trip last week and averaged 4.4l/100Km. Today after a short 20km run I saw the cpu down at 3.6l/100Km. average.
Holy snikees batman.

When I saw everyone dumping on VW and running away I figgered it's a good time to pull the trigger and get a diesel, my first. Most people are wrong most of the time so by that logic I saw a great opportunity to get a great little car at a good price.

With the mass exodus away from VW and diesels I hope the die hard fans stick around here for a while to help out some of us newbs. Simply TONS of good info in these pages, albeit days and days of sifting and reading but the info IS here!!!

Thanks to all that came before me! Cheers, Ronner.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I am up hear located in the palm of Michigan and probably should have done this some time ago, so to make a short story long.......got introduced to TDI's a couple years ago when Donna's '91 Mazda hatchback finally gave up the ghost. "Let's go to my buddy dave's in St Petes Fl," I say, to get a rust free car.
Had a few cars in mind, such as chain driven Focus or Saturn that you just drive and never work on, (I spend my days working on Garbage trucks and sweepers, yum yum). No, I would like a TDI, says Donna. Too much Maintenance says I.
Guess who won that one!! Well, driving it home at 80mph and averaging 51-52 mpg with torque and stability, I fell in love. Alas, no matter what I tried, Donna would not relinquish her jewel.

Did not take long to realize how much I did not know about these #@%*@ things. SO, THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR DETAILED POSTS AND GENEROUS SHARING OF TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS. After much repairs, maintenance and a couple deer hits, I could not get enough.
So, I bought a $800 alh Jetta with bad auto Trans for a Donor motor(but did not have the heart to butcher this fine auto), then a 5spd alh that had been rear ended for the trans and donor engine, (which is also getting lifted, thanks to Millenium Falcons post) and finally a 1985 4runner for a future project.
So, to summarize, I now have enough projects to take up all my spare time and then some. Now thanks to all you other *%&&#@ people and your shared knowledge, I am going to have to retire early so I can get some of this stuff done before I die and enjoy life.

So happy wrenching and trails to all

ss_mini14

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
So by chance I've been pushed into the TDI world. I acquired a 2005.5 Jetta Tdi DSG from my daughter the other day. She bought it off Craigslist for cheap and quickly grew tired of it but I'm anxious to bring it back to Italy former glory. I've been a heavy diesel tech for 20 years so I'm not afraid to tackle this.

First off the car has no power. I'm pretty sure the CAC is leaking because I can hear it . The transmission feels like it slips intermittently but not when it's shifting. Honestly I can't tell if it's the transmission or an intermittent misfire. I'm trying to find my code reader, hopefully soon.

This car is a real oddball, nothing like the Volkswagens I grew up in. Glad I found this forum

Tikra

TDI
Passat 3C, polo 6N
Newbie from NL

Guy's and girl's (if they are here ;))
I am an 52 years old mechanical engineer with what I say born with two left hands. Beside that I decided to keep my wife's car, happiness and support we exchanged the old 64 hp diesel engine from our Polo 6N open for a TDI.
This means: actual we have a 1.9 tdi AFN engine in our car. Being from 1997 (model 1998) we changed the suspension to the polo gti one - nowadays using 15" instead of 13".
Together with the AFN (now 143 hp) we used the 02A CYP 5 speed transmission and just finishes our 2000 km test run without any major problems.
The Problem now - and we hope that this group wil help us out- is that we run very fast into the red area of the rpm - driving 204 km/h is easy with power left But wil get the engine hot.
We need Some advices regarding the transmission because we want to go for 200 hp. Actual we use the car on the street but we want to go on the track.....
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Vdubb

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Hey all I joined about a week ago was looking for a good Toronto area TDI mechanic searched the forums for one first on the List was Brandon "Vdub Tech" was having lunch with him within hours and he sorted a bunch of Mickey Mouse work they guy I bought it from had done replaced the rad bunch of hoses did the water pump timing belt etc. He wasn't cheap but he was appropriately priced, and as far as I'm concerned worth every penny. These TDIs are finicky beasts and you don't want Glen who knows a bit about engines (no offence if you're reading this and happened to have the misfortune to be named glen;) ) working on them doing more harm than good. You want a guy like VdubTech who eats sleeps and breaths TDIs. I'm glad I had a rad go so I could find a TDI Guru to keep me rolling

Last edited:

K8gr8

TDI
2010 Jetta
Hi, been lurking for about a year, about the time the settlement issue was in full swing. I may be a rarity here, a middle aged outdoorsy/active chick who is car curious and loves the idea of doing things to maintain and fix my wheels myself. Thanks for all the good info and advice!

Gringo Loco

TDI
1.9 TDI and 1900 TD

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this group and to diesel ownership and operation. I bought a 2006 Jetta TDI this past winter and have come to really appreciate the diesel engine. So much so that I am in the process of swapping out my 1600 DP on my custom trike to a 1900 TD.
Finding information about the 1900 TD has been challenging for me so far, and I am hoping that this forum will be a good source of info. Has anyone here done a similar swap, mating a Type 1 Beetle transaxle to a 1900 DP? In a trike or buggy?
Any information that you might share with me will be greatly appreciated. I am the type of guy that can do about anything once I understand the task. :) Some of the specific stuff that comes to mind is, what electrical connections are needed to make it run and charge, what are the cooling requirements, and what stuff can I get rid of? The 1900 TD is an AAZ model from germany that I bought from Quality German in Cali. I have the DP engine out already and just got the used 1900 yesterday.
I will have a look through the threads in the forum and see what I can gleam also.
Thank you very much!
Steve

Legal Diesel

TDI
1998 Beetle
Ohio Beetle

Hey All,

I've been on the site before and seen the projects here; always wanted to pick up a TDI. So, I found a '98 Beetle with only 97K that had lost its way and brought it home this past weekend. Needs a few things (wife was amazed it made it from Michigan to Ohio without the help of a flatbed), but looking forward to the projects.

Sactojohn

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Just bought a 2003 Golf TDI with only 156k on it recently. Wife wanted a small, economical car to drive around for her insurance sales calls. I don't even remember how I wound up looking at these cars, but mpg is great and I don't care for electrics and hybrids. It is an automatic which is what she wanted and after I changed the fluid for the first time ever on that car, it stopped slipping in first. Just to make sure, I had a transmission shop with VagCom check it out and so far, there is nothing wrong with the automatic and my fluid fill was dead on. I have a Porsche 944, 280z, Altima 3.5SL and a 2017 Murano Platinum, but this Golf TDI is just really fun to drive around! It isn't fast, but it is surprisingly fun in it's own way and the best car of all of them in traffic. Changed the grill, updated the radio, and bought some really nice comfortable seat covers. At the time, I had no idea how hard it is to find a MkIV Golf TDI with less than 200k miles and now feel very lucky. Too bad our government successfully got many years of TDI's off the roads and effectively stopped VW from ever wanting to make more for the U.S. to force us into buying their electric car garbage!