New to me ‘14 Passat TDI SEL

Gun-driver

TDI
‘04 Jetta, ‘14 Passat SEL
So I finally broke down and replaced my ‘04 Jetta with 301,000 miles on it with a ‘14 buyback Passat SEL TDI with 62,000 miles on it. So far love the Passat but as I’m doing things and driving it everyday there‘s a couple of things that have popped up that have me wondering ***!
1) This car came with fog lights that are on with the DRL lights. I’m not a fan of the looks so I will probably swap them out for clear lenses
2) SEL version and no Auto headlight switch WTH! The switch has two detects that you can pull the switch out too but only the first detent does anything, not sure what the 2nd detent is for I assumed/ thought that was the auto position. I purchased the car from a Subaru dealer so I knew more about it than them so nobody to explain the functions of such.
3) The wiper arm has a different mount for the wiper than the good ‘ole J hook like the Jetta. Now wipers cost $ 20+ instead of 5 or 6 bucks at Walmart.:mad:
4) when I went to wash the windshield I found that you can’t flip the wipers out of 5he way due to them hitting the hood. Is there a trick to this, any info on this or other idiosyncrasies of this model will be appreciated.
Other than those little grips I love the car so far, hope she treats me as good as the Jetta has.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Item 2): I have the SE trim and the first detent on the headlight switch on my '13 is AUTO which will turn on the lights when it is dark out, so nothing will happen when you move switch to the second detent position (headlights ON). Use AUTO if you want to have the lights come on automatically at dusk and turn off without you having to remember to do so when you shut down the engine. I use the ON detent, out of habit.

Item 4) With the wipers on, turn off the engine when the wipers are in the vertical position.

Suggestion: If you have not done so read up no the dieselgate extended warranty on your vehicle, determine when it expires, and be aware of the extended warranties on lots of other things for your vehicle, such as turbo, heater cores, etc. and the numerous recalls this vehicle had, everything from clock spring to air bag inflators. Familiarize yourself with the adblue system and top off the reservoir at oil changes. Its in the trunck, passenger side against the side of the car behind a removable plastic cover that pops off to reveal the cap for the reservoir.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
sounds like the car has been tweaked with vag com or maybe the light switch changed out. My 14 sel premium has separate fog lights and drls. A photo of my headlight switch is attached.

for the wipers with the hood closed, put the car in accessory mode (push the start button without your foot on the brake), turn it off, tap the wiper switch down, the wiper will come up to service position. My wiper blades ( I use vw) last 2+ years.

Gun-driver

TDI
Tom,
Yes I read about the dieselgate till my eyes were bleeding. I don't have emission testing where I live so I figured I give it chance and if it becomes a PITA then out it goes.
My headlight switch doesn't have the Auto position. If you pull out on the selector knob it has two detents the first detent turns it to parking lights with fog lights the second doesn't seem to do anything.
This is what mine looks like https://www.amazon.com/Heart-Horse-...t=&hvlocphy=9006270&hvtargid=pla-634581827668

06Blue,
thanks for the wiper tip worked like a charm.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
Looks like a previous owner/enthusiast changed the OEM headlight switch to the 'Euro-Switch'. I did the same thing to my '13 Passat SEL, yet I was not interested in adding the rear red 'fog light' to mine so the 2nd pulled position is non-functional. I was more interested in having the 'parking lights' position to turn off the headlights if I want to, and leave all the other lights on. I don't want an auto-headlights nanny.

Using VCDS, I enabled my foglights/driving lights on with high-beams, and increased the voltage to the headlights so they're brighter, more whiter, at night. I haven't had any bulb failure issues after doing so in many years and thousands of miles. The voltage is decreased a little by the factory to increase bulb life.

Also using VCDS I enabled 'windows-up and sunroof-closed' when the rain-sensor detects rain, with the car parked, unoccupied and locked.

There are a few more mods you can do to your liking.

Gun-driver

TDI
Thanks for the info I was thinking the switch could have been changed. I guess I'll pull the switch and check the plug configuration and order up a new one.
I'll have to check and see if the light operation has been changed also.
I do know the low beams are very bright and white light compared to the high beams and they are also different style bulb compared to the high beam bulb. Did the OEM Passats come with different high/low beam bulb styles xenon low and halogen high combined.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Original equipment was all halogens (fog, drls, low and high beam).
Your welcome on the wipers. You can probably pick up the original switch cheap on ebay, it will have the small connector on the back (smaller than 1/2” by 1” on the edge of the switch), not the one that runs across the middle of the switch that is about 3/4” wide x width of switch.

Gun-driver

TDI
Thanks, the more i read the more i find the PO changed. A couple of things found so far besides the lights is the seat belt chime, the key fob activated windows, still reading and trying things.
I’m looking at probably getting a OBDeleven Pro mostly for the service resets and minor changes if need be, I'm new to all this computer tech stuff so nothing to involved.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Yes it sounds like the headlight switch was changed. Have you checked the tail lights with the car running and the switch in various positions? You may luck out and have a rear fog installed. Mine is similar to the picture and I usually leave it in auto. When in the "on" position I get fog cornering lights when turning.

For the wiper service, turn off the car, pull the stalk down, the wipers will come up and "park".

There is a Passat Easter Eggs thread out there with some additional features/tricks. I have ~210k miles on my 2014 SEL now. Good luck, John