New TDI, New to Chapel Hill

JumpedRightIn

I have a 2000 Gulf that I bought in January. It has been losing power ever since and now is actually dangerous to merge onto a highway. I don't know much about cars in general and the engine light is not on. I checked the air filter and it is fine and the transmition shifts easily. Any suggestions on what to check myself or any suggestions on where to take it in? I was told not to go to Southern States near to Duke, but was not given an alternative. Any help would be appreciated.

Ben

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
check for MAFS failure.

Do you know how many miles are on the car?

JumpedRightIn

55k miles
Thanks for the quick reply, I don't know what MAFS failure means - sorry. Can you explain a little more?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, the mass air flow sensor is a weak link in these cars. Try unplugging it and see if your performance returns.

Where have you been living prior to NC? What was the fuel quality like? Has the intake ever been inspected or cleaned?

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
You might want to see if waldo22 (a user here who lives in Chapel Hill) will let you use his vag-com. He's a great guy and checked out my car yesterday.

JumpedRightIn

How might I contact waldo22?

I bought the car used from CarMax in Raleigh. So I assume they checked it out, but who knows really. I think I might just take it in somewhere for a 60k check up and see if by changing the fuel filter and checking everything someone can figure it out.

That begs the question... where to take it for the 60K inspection. Any suggestions? I have a hunch that there is a place in Carrboro maybe that does work on TDI's?

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Also, you can go to Autozone or Advanced Auto parts and they'll read the codes for you. Let us know what comes back and someone will be able to help you figure out what's wrong.

JumpedRightIn

I've heard that about Autozone. Will it tell me something even if my check engine light is not on? Thanks for the help, I'll go and try that next.

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white
JumpedRightIn said:
I've heard that about Autozone. Will it tell me something even if my check engine light is not on? Thanks for the help, I'll go and try that next.
no - lots of times the MAF is acting up, and the VAG-COM can read it and see that the computer wants a certain value, but the MAF is only giving a lower one - that's a good indication it's the MAF.

There could be codes that do not make the light come on though.

Wonko the Sane

I use Southern States VW in Durham and I have no complaints with their diagnostics and repairs. If you can't find a better/cheaper solution, they will be able to help you.

waldo22

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI, 1981 Caddy 1.6 IDI
Checked out Ben's car

Plugged VAGCom into Ben's 2000 TDI golf this afternoon early and had no fault codes, other than "heated mirrors", which probably aren't causing his power loss. :rolleyes:

I drove it too, and it seems like the engine is putting out enough power, but all of it just isn't getting to the wheels. It is also holding on to 2nd and 3rd gear way too long (it's an automatic).

Of course, I'm no mechanic, so maybe the engine just isn't putting out enough power after all.

Wes

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
And I'm no transmission mechanic ^_^
Try the 0-60 test. Should take 12 seconds.

If its sticking in 2nd or 3rd gear for a while, first try recoding it to 00011 or 00012. Other than that, I don't know.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
waldo, do you know how to run log files while monitoring the MAFS?

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
I've got nothing to add to this conversation other than - I love the TDI community! I feel like I do when I'm on a Mac forum. Everyone helps and we all look out for one another! :)

JumpedRightIn

Well, I took into the shop. Someone who supposedly specializes in VW's. I'll let you all know the exciting conclusion as it unfolds. Thanks for all the help!

waldo22

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI, 1981 Caddy 1.6 IDI
don't know how yet

I just recently got my VAGCom, so I don't know any fancy stuff yet.

The more I think about it though, the more I think his turbo is just blown.

I don't remember hearing it whine when we were "accelerating".

Dieseldorf, how do I run the log files?

Wes

TDI
2000 New Beetle
I'm also a newbie in Carrboro NC.
I have a 2000 Beetle with 100,000 miles, I've had it 60 days and 10,000 miles. Best car I ever had.

Are thier any local mechanics that can be trusted other than Southern States?

I would love to meet any other TDI owners in the area.

1.)I want to look in Detail my current state of maintence- confirm condition of timing belt etc.
2.)torque improvement, intake/exhaust modification
3.)"chip" addition
4.) new clutch

amcgrady@aol.com