New Survey! What do you use to clean your alloys?

BUG*PWR

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
I've used them all and nothing compares to ARDEX 622 MAG O.E.M.. Blows P-21s away and is half the price JMHO. Just spray it on a dry wheel, wait 5 minuets and hose em off. All their products are GREAT! From the wheel cleaner to detail clay. Ardex Laboratories Philadelphia PA 19116. (215) 698-0500 They don't have a web sight but if you call they will tell you a distributor in your area. http://www.autoaccents.qpg.com/ for mail order 

------------------
It ain’t the horsepower it’s the Torque !

..........|
........-^-
....-/_____\-
...(O\__o__/O)
...[#]oxxxo[#]

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
I clean my special high-performance lightweight geniune OEM thermoplastic wheel covers with diluted Simple Green.

------------------
Ryan

1999.5 Jetta/Bora GL TDI
Atlantic Blue/Gray Studio

[This message has been edited by ThinkDiesel (edited February 10, 2000).]

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Carwash soap (diluted of course) and one of those mesh-covered bug sponges. Works great and the wheels come squeeky clean. Be very careful with those special "wheel cleaners". Alloys on most new cars have a coating to help keep them clean. If you remove that coating using an abrasive or too harsh a chemical, you will have a much more difficult time cleaning them later on. The trick is to not let the dirt build up for too long - especially the brake dust.

M

mickey

Eagle One aluminum wheel cleaner. (Avaliable at Checker/Shucks/Kragen.) Too weak and poor quality to damage the wheels, but does a fine job of removing brake dust if used regularly. (You'll need a wheel cleaning brush. I think the powerful "no scrubbing" products are just too strong, both for my wheels and for my skin and lungs.) Eagle One is really cheap, too.

For more stubborn gunk, you'll have to use something stronger. I have no specific recommendations, since my policy is to get rid of gunk before it becomes subborn! If you get road tar or grease on the wheels, use some Bug & Tar remover.

-mickey

Jason

I have always used Simple Green all purpose cleaner. I just wet the wheel and spray some on. Then I add a little elbow grease and the wheels look great after rinsing them off.

SADNYER

Veteran Member
Special coating, TDI Believer? If thats true I've got news for them....it doesn't work!
As far as I know, most alloys are just painted and clearcoated, like the rest of the car. I've been using P21S on my Audi's BBSs for 10 years and they look brand new.

BUG*PWR

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
SADNYER is right there just clear coated like the rest of the car. So I wouldn't use anything on them that you wouldn't use on the paint. Like a mesh covered sponge. JMHO
BTW it helps to give them a coat of wax to !

[This message has been edited by BUG*PWR (edited February 11, 2000).]

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
The clearcoat is what I meant. And a nylon mesh covered sponge won't hurt the wheels or your paint. I've been doing this for years with the wheels and stubborn bugs on the bumper and have never made a scratch. These are the same sponges that are made for cleaning Teflon-coated pans.

Hey, I won't drive my car through a carwash - do you think I'd use something abrasive on it. No way. Trust me, it works and you won't hurt your wheels or your paint.

Rich