New Redline Euro Oils

Jason8691

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Interestingly on the website is says recommended for, not approved for. Id give it a try after the warranty expired though.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Interestingly on the website is says recommended for, not approved for. Id give it a try after the warranty expired though.
I wouldn't.

:eek: "VW 502.00/505.00/505.01" :eek:

Our cars (Mk6) require VW 507.0

So even Redline is saying it isn't being recommended by them for that standard.

Jason8691

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I wouldn't.

So even Redline is saying it isn't being recommended by them for that standard.
Recommended for ACEA C2/C3, VW AUDI 504.00/507.00, BMW Longlife-04, Porsche C30, GM dexos2™ and MB 229.31/229.51

That's right from the 5W30 description, 507.00 is on there.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Recommended for ACEA C2/C3, VW AUDI 504.00/507.00, BMW Longlife-04, Porsche C30, GM dexos2™ and MB 229.31/229.51

Recommended does not mean VW approved. You can read anything you want in to recommended. Not sayin' the oil is bad it is just not VW approved

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Their VW 502.00/505.01 oil is quite interesting. It has a HTHS viscosity of 4.3 Cp @150C - that's thicker than almost all the 5w-40, API specification oils. So it might work quite well in a Pumpe Duese engine.

As I've said repeatedly, whether or not an oil is on the VW/Audi Approved list, the oil formulator is 100% liable for the performance of their product in the specific application. If somebody blends a batch of out of spec oil (which can still happen with an Approved oil - VW/Audi certainly does not test every batch) and you had numerous engine failures as a result, VW is going to point fingers at the oil company and rightly so. So either you believe Redline knows what they're doing or you don't? If its the latter, I wouldn't use their stuff even if its on the Approved List. I think Mr Bob would agree with this concept....

Tk

Jason8691

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Recommended does not mean VW approved. You can read anything you want in to recommended. Not sayin' the oil is bad it is just not VW approved
I pointed that out in my first post, that Redline says its recommended-not approved....

wackypete

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Golf
Interesting......

So is anyone going to run this in their 2009+ VW? I'm not a big fan of the Castrol oil and Mobil1 ESP is hard to come by in Canada. Is this stuff better than the Mobil1 ESP oil?

Jason8691

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Interesting......

So is anyone going to run this in their 2009+ VW? I'm not a big fan of the Castrol oil and Mobil1 ESP is hard to come by in Canada. Is this stuff better than the Mobil1 ESP oil?
Better is a relative term. Do some research on bobistheoilguy.com and read the UOA findings. Redline uses Polyol Ester base stocks which are typically used in jet engines (and apparently work really well in motorcycles), Mobil 1 uses poly-alpha-olefin base stocks. Both are true synthetics, not the hydrocracked synthetics. So really, you would have to use both, do UOAs and let your engine tell you which is the best one for it. Sorry to give that info without really answering your question directly, but engines are fickle things and each one reacts differently to certain oils. Also, some engines are easy on oil, and some are hard on it.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The physical properties of the Redline 5w-30 are typical for a VW 507.00 oil, although the volatility is lower than most of them. I don't see any intrinsic advantage to using it over a competitive product in this particular application. The very tight chemical limits of the VW 507.00 specification don't allow for much flexibility in terms of formulation chemistry.

TS

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
FWIW I have requested Moly, ZDDP and Ash levels from Dave, he will pass them on when he gets them from the chemist.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI

Interesting, when I quoted it 35 minutes before the 5W30 stated EXACTLY what I quoted. Seems that Red Line managed to recertify their oil in that time. :rolleyes:

Pretty impressive, but I find it somewhat ..... unexpected.

If it weren't for the general reputation that Red Line has my BS detector would be going off. As it is I just wonder only slightly if this was something other than an honest mistake by the web designer.:confused:

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Interesting, when I quoted it 35 minutes before it stated EXACTLY what I quoted. Seems that Red Line managed to recertify their oil in that time.
Pretty impressive, but I find it somewhat ..... suspicious. The only thing that's keeping my BS detector from going off is the reputation of Red Line products. However, the sudden change in certification standards does make me wonder.
Any chance you had clicked the 5w40 oil link? I looked at the links before I posted, both the 5w30 and 5w40.

Note the timestamp from this post on the BITOG thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3008518#Post3008518

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
And a "VW Approved" oil does not necessarily mean a superior oil for our TDIs in the conditions we drive. It is more of a marketing scheme in my view.

UOA's will give a much valuable information at the end of the day as it has been pointed out here repeatedly.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Any chance you had clicked the 5w40 oil link? I looked at the links before I posted, both the 5w30 and 5w40.

Note the timestamp from this post on the BITOG thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3008518#Post3008518
I suppose it's possible, but when I didn't see the 507.0 spec my interest was raised and I compared the certification listed on both the 5W30 and the 5W40 and they were identical. Which is what promoted my reply. I suppose it's possible, but I checked pretty closely to make sure I was looking at the 5W30 because I know the 5W40 doesn't and won't meet the 507 spec. Anyway, problem solved and as I said given Red Line's reputation I wouldn't really question that it's recommended now by Red Line for 507.0 applications even if it was initially incorrect or I just read it wrong. Now the issue is whether you would use an unapproved oil even if it is recommended. I have a little over a year before I'm out of the power train warranty, so I will consider my options about this once I'm off warranty. By them maybe it will be authorized and/or have conclusive results to show it's compliance even if the tests weren't done by VAG.

Oh, and PS, I note the quotes from the link you posted and that now on the webpage have changed. So clearly alterations are being made.
But I feel the changes are almost certainly innocent and a matter of format and quality control corrections than anything underhanded.

Last edited:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The actual engine testing is done by the additive supplier. This is the case throughout the industry. The oil formulator decides what base stock blend to combine with the additive package (including the carrier oil, which can be petroleum or synthetic based).

VW may run some quality control tests. But anyone submitting a sample for approval would have to know all the functional requirements for meeting the specification before formulating the oil.

TS

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
The actual engine testing is done by the additive supplier. This is the case throughout the industry. The oil formulator decides what base stock blend to combine with the additive package (including the carrier oil, which can be petroleum or synthetic based).
VW may run some quality control tests. But anyone submitting a sample for approval would have to know all the functional requirements for meeting the specification before formulating the oil.
TS
I bet SWRI did testing for Redline, too?

Jason8691

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Interesting, when I quoted it 35 minutes before the 5W30 stated EXACTLY what I quoted. Seems that Red Line managed to recertify their oil in that time. :rolleyes:

Pretty impressive, but I find it somewhat ..... unexpected.

If it weren't for the general reputation that Red Line has my BS detector would be going off. As it is I just wonder only slightly if this was something other than an honest mistake by the web designer.:confused:

Probably their webmaster noticed he forgot to add it or something. A lot of boutique oils say its safe for use with certain certifications, but don't want to pay for the tests to prove it.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Probably their webmaster noticed he forgot to add it or something. A lot of boutique oils say its safe for use with certain certifications, but don't want to pay for the tests to prove it.
I'm almost certain that was the case, other than a possible brain fart on my part. He probably made the one page, then copied it and modified it for the other weight oil, and later corrected a few oversights. It happens. Just found the timing to be interesting....or I just went really brain dead the other night. Anyway, it's been addressed and now we can wonder if recommended means acceptable even if not approved. I can certainly see a certain logic in that particularly if the cost of approval is overly high. But I would like to see a link to some sort of testing showing it meets those standards even if it's not from VAG.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Bob,

Yes, probably the Southwest Research Institute (SWRI), since they have a calibrated TDI engine test stand.

TS

wackypete

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Golf
I tried to get my hands on this oil but it's not easy. Apparently it needs to be shipped from Europe (minimum 24 cases). That puts it out of reach for me. :(

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
I tried to get my hands on this oil but it's not easy. Apparently it needs to be shipped from Europe (minimum 24 cases). That puts it out of reach for me. :(
Redline is located in California. :confused:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Maybe I got bad information or it's a Canadian thing. Are you guys in the US able to order this stuff no problem?
I added it to my cart OK, didn't try to actually check out or order it.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I don't know if UOA is the thing for 507 oils since the main question is not the engine wear, but rather the ash buildup in the DPF.
I think the overall package is the standard for the system including the emmissions control rather than just the engine.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
If you believe that the oil meets 507 then you believe that it has the appropriate ash levels.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I think I'll give the 5w40 a try in my PD next time. Any thoughts? I have tried some Mobil 1 ESP M, but find my car has required me to add nearly a quart at 7500 miles. This never happened with the Total Ineo I've been using.

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
I think I'll give the 5w40 a try in my PD next time. Any thoughts? I have tried some Mobil 1 ESP M, but find my car has required me to add nearly a quart at 7500 miles. This never happened with the Total Ineo I've been using.

Don't

lower levels of zddp will kill the camshaft