New noise

Escape.idiocracy

TDI
CR 2.0
Won’t be able to tear into this until Sunday… but it’s on my brain and maybe one of you have already lived through this.

High pitched noise that increases/decreases with RPM’s is what the concerning noise is.

without a second set of feet- this is the best I can do solo.

Escape.idiocracy

TDI
CR 2.0
No longer feel comfortable with any technical advise that could be pulled from this group…. Geesh.
Literally called out in the first post “without a second set of feet- this is the best I can do solo.”
Also posted within the mk6 forum which should have broken down the CR TDI… though looking back, I suppose Cjaa could have been included. Even though I asked for an opinion/diagnosis of a noise…
Ill work on doing better. I suppose video of the repair, and then asking for an opinion to a sound is a better approach. When I do this, the issue will be resolved and better suited for the internet audience.

If anyone has heard a familiar high pitch noise- feel free to drop a comment… pretty well decided it’s either the CP4 taking a crap, or the alternator pulley. When I rip it apart Sunday I’ll repost- to help the obvious for the next guy looking for an opinion on a noise. (Not navigating a video angle or the car in the next spot over… 👍🏼)
Comacho 2024….

Last edited:

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Do you hear a high pitch noise in your video? All i hear is an engine.

You are much better qualified to locate and identify the noise in person -- under the hood, with a piece of hose or something for a stethoscope -- than strangers on the internet listening to an audio recording from inside the car. If you need to change rpms by yourself, put a brick or 2x4 on the gas pedal.

Minor point: I suppose you could've pointed the camera at your dash so "that one guy" wouldn't think he'll be listening to a jeep if he clicks the video.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
You could've described the car in the first place, you could've pointed the camera at your instrument cluster, there's all kinds of things you could've done. Yes, with no description your video looks like it belongs in a jeep Cherokee forum.
You can easily rule out alternator pulley by removing the serp belt and testing the rotation of the alternator with a screwdriver. It doesn't sound like that's your noise, but it's an easy one to rule out. You can also check the ac compressor pulley while the belt is off. But it just sounds like your turbo whistling in the video. Maybe get a person to rev the engine while you listen/film.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I would pull the serpentine belt off and see if the sound goes away. Its hard to hear, but it could also be a boost/exhaust leak.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Definitely sounds like a CJAA but there is something there that shouldn’t be. I had a noise like that but different once… never did really figure it out. Try the suggestions above…
I don’t think a Cherokee should sound like that at all.