New MK4 owner - 2005 Jetta Wagon

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
3 doors down, one to go....not bad cleaning and covering. Getting the panel back attatched though is a pita.

Tried plastic welding new tabs on but they are brittle.

Used epoxy and plastic to make tabs for the rear passenger and it worked the best so far. Think I can do that and hot glue around the entire panel where the tabs fo through would be even better. Going to try that on the last door panel tomorrow, epoxy new tabs and then also hot glue on the entire lip that attatched to plastic panel.

They all looks way better than they were originally so I am happy.

Last edited:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Looks great. My 2nd Jetta was the "two-tone" black and grey interior version, though not exactly like yours obviously. I always liked the split colors.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
You are correct.

I still don't see how every gear but third shifted fine. By diesel-geeks video if first and second engage/feel smooth all the rest should as well.

I had adjusted them several times over 2 months and the problem still persisted.

Went out this morning and once again adjusted them, pushed and pulled cables fwd and bkward and let both settle. Locked them back down and shifted through all the gears to make sure no binding.

Normally have the issue a couple times while driving around town but has not happened since adjusting. Went all around town today and didn't grind at any rpm.

Third feels like it goes into gear more solidly now too while driving, knock on wood the cables are where they need to be.

** 4 days later and still not having any issues with shifting into third. Very happy with how I feel it engaging now when shifting.

If your shifter cables are even slightly off, no fluid is going to have the properties to change that alignment.

Take a look to see how the shifter cables and counterweight move while someone else rows through the gears and it might be more apparent as to why a just bit too much or too little cable throw leads to the sensation that you're mashing gears together.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Almost 3 weeks and the transmission is still shifting beautifully.

Started getting the shuddering again intermittently feels like a miss (no code) dont have vcds though, going to pull the valve cover and check to see if the injector harness is connected firmly. Also will check the cam wear while I am in there, will be doing to Tbelt when I get back from Germany, plans got changed so I will be doing my training in Germany first. Lot of last minute paperwork for the flight change from UK to Germany only 3 days before I leave.

I see its common for the plugs to vibrate over time and loosen up on the injector, will check it out tomorrow.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Trip to europe got swapped around, so I am in Germany for the first part of my training.

Duetch is very difficult to speak lol, I can order a coffe or beer and say hello/morning/goodbye and thats about it.

Hopefuly I can learn more over the next 6 months, atleast well enough to understand more of the basics. Trying out duolingo, works pretty good.

Did get a nice BMW 520d to drive while I am here.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Think the plan for my wagon when I get back from Germany from this first trip is to inspect cam and do a 2 stage paint correction at home.

Order timing belt kit possibly cam if needed, vnt17 or similar turbo and a stage 2 tune Black Friday when I get back from second trip to Germany.

Then install in Dec while I am back from England for a month wrap headliner, find leather rear seats hopefully from local salvage yard and have a nice peppy car for 2023 at the end of my International travels.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
My buddy just did a full timing belt kit on his 2011 Golf this weekend, he is going to assist me when I do mine since I haven't done one yet.

Going to use his timing belt tool kit as well, I see diesel Geek says it works on pd and cr.

I could buy it off him for probably $20 to have for my next belt change later down the road. Just thinking ahead as it will be Dec before I could time at home to do the work.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Got to pull my valve cover and check the injector harness. Got back in town today and having a miss randomly and it got bad today, stopped at a store and I came back out of store it was fine.

Going to check the injector harness wed and see if thats the issue and can inspect came while I do it. It happens very rando ly, sometimes weeks apart. Dont have a scan tool yet waiting until I get back from my international trips completely. Dont have time to order and have it delivered while I am home.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Pulled the valve cover today the cam still looks really good I found one connector that felt just a little loose but I pulled them all off and squeeze the pins slightly unfortunately I broke one of the plastic covers over the wires so I'll be replacing the harness the next time I come back from Germany.

Ran fine when I test drove it afterward, maybe it will stop the mis-fire with tightening the pins up a little. Atleast for the next two weeks while I am home and can replace the harness when I return.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Got back from Germany and went ahead and did the oil and filter in my car.

I got the oil filter cover off relatively easy but the actual paper filament filter would not come off for anything. Put it in a vise in the filter came out with the rod still attached to it and the cap popped off.

Finally got the filter off the rod and replaced with a Mann filter and O-rings but not before slicing my finger open fighting with it.

Everything back togethor and filled with oil and the injector harness I ordered showed up while I was warming it up to check oil level.

So went ahead and installed it as well, got it all togethor took off for a test drive and it was under powered and blew a puff of smoke while turning around....luckily it was just the intake hose I removed to get valve cover off. Didn't put the hose clamp back on, clamped it down and took ot for another drive and now it runs great again.

Have not had a misfire since I tightened the pins on the old harness. But I broke the clips on the old one the last time I was home and wanted it replaced anyway.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Belt began chirping when I turned on the ac this week. Got a replacement tensioner and belt, tensioner made no change but the new belt did the job.

Going by when the motor was replaced, the belt had 68k on it and the tensioner probably way more since it was not in the picture of the kit he used when doing the timing belt and it was VW branded.

No more noise, going to be replacing the Tbelt and those tensioners and pulleys this winter. Doing it a little early at around 70k.

But I want to also do the Malone Stage 1.5 early next year and rather be on the safe side with the Tbelt.

May try to do my headliner next week and get that out of the way.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Ordered my Flashzilla today, going to do the stage 1 tune when it comes in. Planning on new Tbelt a week or so after @ roughly 70k miles on current one.

Then order my turbo next spring and up it to a stage 2 or possibly a stage 4.

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
Just go with a stage 2 for now even on your stock KP39. I did that and worked fine except for overboost when on it really hard. i just upgraded to a VNT17 so no more overboost. Point is that it will be ok on a stage 2 and when you do upgrade turbo you dont have to buy another tune.
VNT 17 works pretty good, engine breathes much better past 3000rpm. Not nearly as tight feeling.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Last I checked with Malone, you can buy Stage (whatever) and then add all of the tunes below that to the cart for no additional charge.
So - buy Stage 4 for $350(?); get Stage 1,2,3 added for $0 extra.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
For the tune you only get the ones offered as insta-tunes and priced at or lower than the one you buy. So stage 1, 1.5 and 2 are included when you buy a stage 2.

Stage 4 is considered a custom tune and has to be bought separately and does not include the lower tunes unfortunately. Made sure of that before I bought the one I did. Messaged them through the ticket system before I bought anything.

I have 1.5 on it now and it is great, when I install the new turbo I'll upload the stage 2. And maybe do the stage 4 later on down the road.

The 1.5 is plenty for now, gets up to speed easy in every gear.

Got my arm rest installed today and going to hit the junk yard for a full black console one day this week.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
For the tune you only get the ones offered as insta-tunes and priced at or lower than the one you buy. So stage 1, 1.5 and 2 are included when you buy a stage 2.

Stage 4 is considered a custom tune and has to be bought separately and does not include the lower tunes unfortunately. Made sure of that before I bought the one I did. Messaged them through the ticket system before I bought anything.

I have 1.5 on it now and it is great, when I install the new turbo I'll upload the stage 2. And maybe do the stage 4 later on down the road.

The 1.5 is plenty for now, gets up to speed easy in every gear.

Got my arm rest installed today and going to hit the junk yard for a full black console one day this week.
Is that your original leather?! Holy crap, that's pristine.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Is that your original leather?! Holy crap, that's pristine.

No, pulled them out of a passat wagon, just wish the rear seats would have fit.
Searching for leather jetta rear seats to complete the set now.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
No, pulled them out of a passat wagon, just wish the rear seats would have fit.
Searching for leather jetta rear seats to complete the set now.
Looks great.

Also, I always preferred the "two tone" upper/lower black/light grey interiors to the all black ones, and your addition of the black leather door cards enhances it in my opinion.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Looks great.

Also, I always preferred the "two tone" upper/lower black/light grey interiors to the all black ones, and your addition of the black leather door cards enhances it in my opinion.
Not leather just recovered the old inserts with black headliner fabric. Re-covered the headliner 2 weeks ago in black, the old one was hanging down.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Sold the Wagon, looking at another 15 Golf 4 door. Manual in the S trim, looks really good. Got to test drive it next week and decide. Only has 20k left on the emissions warranty so hoping it drives really well.

Much nicer car overall though and hopefully will last just as long as the wagon when I sold it...just shy of 350k miles.

-- After some thought im going to pass and look for a pre def one. They are all harder to come by in good shape and non salvage now since they are pushing 10 years old and older though. Tons of passats around but they all have def.

Last edited: