New here

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
This is the only pic I have , and yes I was using oem flaps. I also left the inside screw off , it’s been at least 10 yrs or more with no issues. I took this pic a couple of years ago for another post.

I see what you did there - interesting. This spring I'll have to dig in and tidy up those areas on both the Jetta and the GTI

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Most of these golfs are actually very mistreated here, I was quite lucky to get one in this nice of a condition. I might as well just drive this one till it dies since a timing belt replacement costs around 500/600 euros which is almost as much as I bought this car for.
My philosophy with cars and paying more for a job than I paid for the car is that I got a good deal on the car, and that actually frees up more money to put into it.
I would replace the timing belt and components (the components are most often what fails first) and then have a vehicle that will last a long time. Its either that or a new head AND timing belt when it breaks, or a new engine/car... all of those are a lot more expensive than replacing the timing belt.
Just my viewpoint, being a mechanic with several cars with more miles than that.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The whole idea of cars as an investment is ludicrous. The car you drive, even the house you live in are assets. If you got spares those are investments.
If you gots a nice 20 year old TDI, it needs a $1000 turbo or injection pump it's well worth it. Go buy a used car for $5000, get back to us in a year.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
The whole idea of cars as an investment is ludicrous. The car you drive, even the house you live in are assets. If you got spares those are investments.
If you gots a nice 20 year old TDI, it needs a $1000 turbo or injection pump it's well worth it. Go buy a used car for $5000, get back to us in a year.
this is exactly my theory as well. why should I go spend huge money on a new car when I can keep an old one on the road? keeping a solid used car going is a genuine form of recycling and is better for the environment.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Most of these golfs are actually very mistreated here, I was quite lucky to get one in this nice of a condition. I might as well just drive this one till it dies since a timing belt replacement costs around 500/600 euros which is almost as much as I bought this car for.
It's still a necessary part of routine maintenance, and once done won't need to be done again for 100k miles or 160k kilometers. Possibly the previous owner sold the car cheaply instead of paying for the essential work. Don't procrastinate.