New golf owner

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I just purchased a 2002 golf for my 16 year old son. I am trying to figure out if the rear hatch is working as intended and if it is, is there a way to change it. Currently the button on the driver door does not work, but that is likely a power thing. Will work on that later. Right now the only way to open the hatch is with the remote. Remote has to be removed from the ignition, which is a pain in the ass. With all sorts unlocked, I have to press and hold the middle button, then I can pull the hatch handle. I am assuming all this is correct from what I have read.

I would like to be able to just have the hatch unlocked when I unlock the doors, then be able to open the hatch anytime I want. Having it lock every time the hatch is closed is stupid. Is there a way to do this via VCDS or wiring it differently?

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Not on wagon golf may be the same. Switch on door card likely buggered up. You can disassemble and clean the contacts or replace it. Unless the hatch wires are broken. That can be sussed out with a meter

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I just purchased a 2002 golf for my 16 year old son. I am trying to figure out if the rear hatch is working as intended and if it is, is there a way to change it. Currently the button on the driver door does not work, but that is likely a power thing. Will work on that later. Right now the only way to open the hatch is with the remote. Remote has to be removed from the ignition, which is a pain in the ass. With all sorts unlocked, I have to press and hold the middle button, then I can pull the hatch handle. I am assuming all this is correct from what I have read.

I would like to be able to just have the hatch unlocked when I unlock the doors, then be able to open the hatch anytime I want. Having it lock every time the hatch is closed is stupid. Is there a way to do this via VCDS or wiring it differently?
Yes, you can code the hatch to be unlocked with the doors. I did it on my golf using the kw1281test software. Did the same for my passat wagons and now it is one of my favorite mods for them. https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/free-vds-pro-vagtacho-alternative.509151/

Here's the thread, I know the info is in there from when I did it, I think on page 4 or so... there's only 999 replies on there now!