New Engine Oil Viscosity Upgrade for the EcoDiesel

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
I know a few of us have the RAM or Jeep 3.0 EcoDiesel so I want to share, last month FCA US LLC officially switched from the MS-11106 5W30 oil standard to SAE 5W-40 Rotella Full Synthetic Engine Oil. The TSB (showing the procedure for changing out the oil on builds before June 30, 2016) is NUMBER: 18-078-16.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
Was there a reason behind this? The trend lately has been towards lower viscosity, not higher.
That’s the question I have yet to get an answer on.

They are very serious about this as they are dumping the MS-11106 oil on new unsold vehicles manufactured before June 30. (Must be [FONT=&quot]serious[/FONT] to dump new oil in a new vehicle)

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
This is very interesting........I'm pretty sure these vehicles have DPF and SCR technology on their engines and the manufacturer is recommending Rotella T6. Is it safe to say then T6 could also be used in Benz, Audi, Porsche, VW vehicles with DPF and SCR technology? I guess Ash content is not a worry in T6?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The 3.0L diesel engine from VM Motori now requires a synthetic, low-ash oil that meets the new Chrysler specification MS-10902/Cummins 20081. There are a number of oils that meet those specs including ones from Shell, Valvoline, Total, Pennzoil, and Mobil.

Last edited:

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
The 3.0L diesel engine from VM Motori now requires a synthetic, low-ash oil that meets the new Chrysler specification MS-10902/Cummins 20081. There are a number of oils that meet those specs including ones from Shell, Valvoline, Total, Pennzoil, and Mobil.
Are you stating that T6 is now produced with low Ash content that it could be used in for example a '08 Grand Cherokee CRD?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We show that the '08 Grand Cherokee with the OM642 requires an oil that meets Mercedes 229.51 spec. Rotella doesn't list that. You could make the assumption that since both the Cherokee and the Ecodiesel have low SAPs requirements and the Rotella works in the Ecodiesel, then it would be OK in the OM642. But it would be just that, an assumption.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
The word assumption pulled a vaguely related reference out of my foggy brain.
Recall, if you will (or don't, and feel better when this is done) a mediocre movie by the name of Under Siege 2, Dark Country. There was a line about assumptions. The language is not proper for this forum.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
Unlike TDIs the crankshaft is failing in Ecodiesels. I'm not sure if a 40 weight oil will make any difference, but Rotella T is a lot easier to find than euro oils.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I wonder if the Mobil-1 ESP 5W-30 would work?
Any oil would work- for a time. Sounds like they may be compromising x miles of dpf life for 2x miles of engine life. Being a big fan of RT6, I would welcome the switch.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Unlike TDIs the crankshaft is failing in Ecodiesels. I'm not sure if a 40 weight oil will make any difference, but Rotella T is a lot easier to find than euro oils.
:eek:

Sadly this type of failure reminds me of the GM Oldsmobile diesel disaster from the late 70's and early 80's. I hope they get it figured out and fixed ASAP.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I thought it was the cam gear that was giving trouble?

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
There was a replace the head TSB, but I don't know how big the problem was. The oil cooler, and crankshaft have been problematic. Not many hpfp problems either.