New car and now questions.

jaed_43725

Veteran Member
TDI
04' Jetta wagon
I now have a 85' Jetta TD. When I go to make a intake do I need to hook up any of the hoses to it? I figure I can vent the pcv to under the car and I think the other one is the overboost protection which I plan on deleting since I want to run more than 11 psi. Or do I really need them?

Where do I put a MBC on this thing?

How difficult should the manual steering be? It seems a bit stiff and I have had other manual steering vehicles. What can I do to make it easier (power steering is out of the equation)?

Are there any other tips or tricks or nuances?

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
Manual steering is much easier once the car is moving. Its a bit tough for me to drive our '84 if I'm parking and such, but otherwise, its not bad at all. Its a light car so manual steering is something I can live with on it.

My making an intake, are you talking about the airbox?

vwdiesel.net is a great place to read up on the IDI diesels. If you go in the General section of the forum there is a sticky with instructions on how to register. I'd go over there and read up. The TDs are great little engines. We have one in our '84 and its a blast. Giles IP, 2.5" exhaust all the way from the turbo, rebuilt engine and turbo...its not a speed demon but it sure is fun. Still running stock boost of 9psi too.

If you plan on running more than 12 or so psi, you need to add an intercooler. I also hope you have an EGT gauge, or at least will be putting one in before you mod the car any. That is crucial to have.

jaed_43725

Veteran Member
TDI
04' Jetta wagon
Ok, another question. My speedometer reads low. If I am going to do 60 then the speedometer needs to read 53. Any info would be great. Thank you.

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
That I'm not sure of. I *think* there are different gears that can go on the end of the speedo cable, but I'm not 100 certain. I'd get to vwdiesel.net and ask around there. If you go to the "General" section of the forum there is a sticky on how to register. Its a great resource for these old diesels.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
I now have a 85' Jetta TD. When I go to make a intake do I need to hook up any of the hoses to it? I figure I can vent the pcv to under the car and I think the other one is the overboost protection which I plan on deleting since I want to run more than 11 psi. Or do I really need them?

Where do I put a MBC on this thing?
If you mean Manual Boost Controller, you just put it where your overboost valve is. Or rather instead of it.

You can vent both CCV and Overboost valve outside of the intake, but if you plan more boost, I would recommend IC rather than redoing the intake.

BTW I have a Silver '85 TD as well.

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
If you go to the "General" section of the forum there is a sticky on how to register. Its a great resource for these old diesels.
Registration has been closed for some time.
Nope. They just have a workaround for it now. Too many hackers taking down the site with regular registration active. No problems since they changed it up.