New Beetle Gauge PODS

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
TDICADDGUY said:
No need to. :D

Take off the front center panel, Bernt pod goes in its place.

Why doesn't anyone make these for a mk4 Jetta?!?

rackaracka

Veteran Member
TDICADDGUY said:
Swap the oil and boost/EGT gauge and it will be just like mine. ;)

I like the Herbie treatment.
Thanks! Swapping the gauges won't be a problem, but the oil pressure is there because the boost pressure signal wire was my shortest wire and didn't have a ton of slack so I put that gauge first. I want to get the steering wheel and vent trim pieces you have. Where can I get those?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
rackaracka said:
I want to get the steering wheel and vent trim pieces you have. Where can I get those?
That is a Turbo S steering wheel that I got on ebay for like $90. Keep an eye out on ebay, and the classifieds on newbeetle.org and vwvortex. The spokes are not available individually from the dealer, you'd have to order the entire wheel which would not be cheap.

The vents are out of an Audi TT. Just yank out the old ones, hog out the opening a bit with a dremel and pop those vents in. More details on nb.org and I believe someone over there is selling a set of the vents. I'll see if I can find it for you. They used to be available from the dealer for pretty reasonable, but the price went up, probably from all the NB owners buying them up.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
Farfromovin said:
Cause the MKIV Jetta doesn't have a cluster $%^# hump in the dash like the NB where it could fit easily? :p
details, details :p

kuleinc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDi, 1998 New Beetle TDi, 1.8T powered 87 Westy Vanagon
Here is the Glowshift (not nearly as nice as the Bernt pod)

What brand and part numbers are these gauges? Do they come with senders?

Seriously considering the Bernt Pod...

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Resurrecting an old post...
Does anyone have any pics of their wiring process for connecting the gauges from their Bernt gauge pod? I just got a pod with VDO gauges for: Volts, Water temp & Oil pressure. Also what senders they bought & used?

Thanks

-Bob

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
I used boost, oil pressure and oil temp so your install may vary, but under the dash beneath the relay board are some red wires with ring terminals on posts. The one on the far left (I think) is marked 75x, that is your switched 12v source, and there is also a ground connection above the relay panel as well. I ran an inline fuse from here up to the gauge pod and then daisy-chained the 12v source to each gauge as well as the ground connection. I tapped the rheostat wire with one of the quick-splice clamps so that the gauge lighting would dim with the rheostat.
In the Engine bay, I used 42 draft-design's oil pressure relocation kit pictured here:

I also bought the sending units from them to go with the relocation kit. They also have an adapter for water temp gauge installs as well:

As for running wires in the engine bay, there is a small grommet in the firewall just above and slightly to the left of the brake booster, easy enough to pop out and poke a small hole in to run wires through.

I also used VDO Vision gauges, and used 42dd's blue L.E.D.'s, and they were a good match but dimmer than stock lighting. They were the cheapest ones on their site and two have gone out after a year, so when I replace them I might pony up for some of their more expensive LED's and see how they last and hopefully they are brighter as well.

I used the Autometer pod myself, and painted it with black plasti-dip in spray form, it matches the OEM soft-touch perfectly and so far has held up to a year in the sunlight.

Hope that helps,
Brendan

Last edited: