New 1 Micron 100% Sythetic Microglass Fuel Filter

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
thats a perma-cool head. I hate to say it but they are junk and break. I know because I sold them for ab time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
Do you know of another design like the perma-cool head that isn't junk?
I like the idea of the head being fixed to the vehicle rather than the filter.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I went to NAPA in the westend and spent $35 on this WIX 24770 (NAPA- NGF 4770) that was intended for hydraulic filter service but it's a nice piece of cast ;)
I think it is in poor taste to hijack a thread about the Nicktane filter head with this post about a cheap substitute. There are already threads about these cheap alternatives, and that's where the discussions about them should stay.

Edit: this thread is in the Vendor and Group Buy section of the Classified forum. So I believe it may also be a violation of forum rules to add a post recommending a competing product.

Reported.

Last edited:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
Hijack this...The reason for the post was the implementation of the OEM thermo-T in an aftermarket fuel filter application.

ndamico

TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
thank you :)

I think it is in poor taste to hijack a thread about the Nicktane filter head with this post about a cheap substitute. There are already threads about these cheap alternatives, and that's where the discussions about them should stay.

Edit: this thread is in the Vendor and Group Buy section of the Classified forum. So I believe it may also be a violation of forum rules to add a post recommending a competing product.

Reported.
oh and there is no reason to have a thermo T if you are using a good filter. its only needed with a cheap paper filter. so why bother? if you wanted to do it so you could have a potential leak here's a couple ideas:

1) take my uber kit and drill a hole in the top for the thermo T.
2) buy my "billet aluminum filter head" for the dmax and do the same thing. btw this is the part i now produce because the perma-cool heads were such junk :)

Hijack this...The reason for the post was the implementation of the OEM thermo-T in an aftermarket fuel filter application.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
The OEM thermo-T is an intelligent piece of engineering that serves a useful purpose and drilling a hole through it would nullify its usefulness.

ndamico

TDI
read what i wrote- i didn't say drill a hole in the T. i said drill a hole in either of the heads i sell and you can put your T in it.

the thermo T is designed to allow you to reduce your chance of gelling with a cheap paper filter. i guess its intelligent for the bean counters at VW. the reality is they are prone to leaking.

we'll just have to agree to disagree on what's intelligent engineering. i'd call using a superior filter from the factory intelligent as that would better serve all TDI owners in the long run.:D

The OEM thermo-T is an intelligent piece of engineering that serves a useful purpose and drilling a hole through it would nullify its usefulness.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
I do apologize for not checking which forum I was replying to when I was searching resources that would divulge the information for improving fuel filtration.
Your product doesn't check all the boxes for me although the comments and suggestions submitted by other TDIers has been very helpful.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
the thermo T is designed to allow you to reduce your chance of gelling with a cheap paper filter.
So, how does it do this? Based on the "thermo" term, does it open to bypass the filter when the temps drop below 32 degrees?

ndamico

TDI
it takes fuel from the return side side and dumps some of it back into the filter. the rest goes down the return line into the tank. the pump & injectors heat up fuel as its also used as lubricant so that hot fuel is used to warm the filter. bear in mind if you filter is already gelled it doesn't do you any good.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
it takes fuel from the return side side and dumps some of it back into the filter. the rest goes down the return line into the tank. the pump & injectors heat up fuel as its also used as lubricant so that hot fuel is used to warm the filter. bear in mind if you filter is already gelled it doesn't do you any good.
Am I correct in saying the thermo-T is used to mitigate fuel filter icing? Something that doesn't happen with properly winterized fuel, properly additivized, or a synthetic-media filter?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Maybe VW put it there because "those crazy Americans have poor fuel and use biodiesel"? :D

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Get a band heater.

Get 12V and wire it to the battery.

Get 120V and wire it in with your coolant heater.

Set the thermostat so it shuts off at 70F bam, warm plug of fuel to get everything going.

Something like this: http://www.oemheaters.com/p-6109-12v-dc-heat-cable-5-wattsfoot.aspx Wrap your filter in it. IF you have any starting problems kick the heater on for a few minutes.

Last edited:

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Haven't seen this thread in a while. I own 2 of these.

I'm approaching 40k (and 1.5 years) on my BEW Jetta with the first 1micron filter. I have had no issues at all. I know it has experienced temperature extremes (without a thermo-T).
Cold: at least -20F overnight starts with no anti-gelling additive (MN winterized fuel).
Hot: Idling for 3+ hours on a Texas Freeway behind a crash. In tank fuel temps were so extreme that the fancy $4/foot Viton hose I used for the LCR lift-pump mod failed.

I also installed one with a CAT 2-micron filter in the B5.5 Passat. I widened one of the holes in the bracket and slipped it over the engine cover mounting stud (engine cover installed as normal above). It has been in place without issue for 3+ months and 7k miles.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
I've got one of these on my alh and have been uber (hehe) happy about it, will they be available for the sportwagens? I just bought a '10 and am in line for both of 2micron's kits, but figured it can't be bad to have one of these as well...

ndamico

TDI
hi,

i have a bracket that fits the newer cars but i'm not sure if anyone has actually put one on to see what happens. it works the same way- you bypass the now-internal thermo-T and have a single in and out port on the fuel filter head. if anyone is interested in trying one and documenting it i'd be happy to cut them a deal on the price.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
Hmm, sounds temping. I wonder if Andrews kits would still fit/connect the same way...? Not crazy about being a Guinea pig, especially w the hpfp issues, but with 126k on the odo I think my chances are better than some that ill be safe.

ndamico

TDI
His connects to the return side so no difference

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
I also JUST realized that I've got 53k miles on my initial filter from this kit - I've noticed zero decrease in performance or mileage. I assume that I should order a new filter anyhow?

ndamico

TDI
I probably would :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ndamico

TDI
the discount code TDICLUB will get you free shipping :)

kisseer

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
I will be posting about my installation of the NICKTANE CAT Filter w/ 2MICRON Contain & Pure Flow in a 2010 Jetta TDI soon.

Thanks,
Eric

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
I will be posting about my installation of the NICKTANE CAT Filter w/ 2MICRON Contain & Pure Flow in a 2010 Jetta TDI soon.

Thanks,
Eric
I should be installing both of Andrews kits and Nicks kit this weekend hopefully. Finally got my DPF and EGRs deleted - 2010 Sportwagen. I'll post pics when done.

kisseer

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
I posted my installation of the Nicktane Cat filter and the 2micron Pure Flow & Contain Flow into my 2010 Jetta TDI over in the mkV section.

Thanks,
Eric