Need Timing Belt Replacement in North Dakota

Dakota2004

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I am at 74,000 miles on my 2002 Jetta TDI and would like to get the Timing Belt replaced, intake cleaned and the brake fluid changed. I do most of my own work but will not attempt the timing belt without the proper tools and VAG.

I have contacted DeafBug about this but I don’t think he is going to be able to help me out with what he is going through right now. I have also got some prices from JasonTDI but he is 833 miles and a 12 hour drive away from me. I have read these boards for the last couple of years and those two individuals came to mind right away.

Can anyone suggest a trusted TDI guru that might be a little closer then JasonTDI? I have checked the Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State, but it does not list any for North or South Dakota or Minnesota. It does list Randy's Bug Works for Montana but I've never herd anyone talk about them much.

Last edited:

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Dakota2004 said:
I am at 74,000 miles on my 2002 Jetta TDI and would like to get the Timing Belt replaced, intake cleaned and the break fluid changed. I do most of my own work but will not attempt the timing belt without the proper tools and VAG.
I can take you if you do the work yourself. Just leave the "belt" part to me and you do everything else. You will break down the engine, just short of the removal of the belt. I will do the belt part and once it is installed and verified, you finish the job.

I need to get my brake bleeder back from Aaron.

You can clean the intake manifold as I wrote the instructions myself. It has a few changes need but most people are fine with it.

Scheduling a time is going to be tricky. It is best on short notice starting in a few weeks after my ex collects her belongings which is taking up the whole garage.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Dakota2004 said:
I do most of my own work but will not attempt the timing belt without the proper tools and VAG.
If you read the step-by-step instructions a few times, and do the work yourself under Deafbug's supervision, and pay close attention to what you're doing, then you might be able to handle it yourself the next time. And be able to help out any other Dakotans, just so the knowledge stays fresh in your mind.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Dakota2004 said:
Looks like the soonest I can make MN is March 8th. (I know you have commitments that weekend) Then I have commitments the following 2 weekends and then my first free weekend is March 29th. DeafBug will you be available the 29th?
Where in ND you located? I'm in Sioux Falls, and have done couple TB on TDI and 1.8T and everything else like suspension, intake cleaning, manual swap & much more. PM me i'm free on march 8th.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
Dakota2004 said:
DeafBug will you be available the 29th?
I can pencil you in if you need my service. Just exactly what do you want done? Will you have the intake manifold cleaned by then?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The instructions for the intake from ME.

You're welcome.

DeafBug said:
I can take you if you do the work yourself. Just leave the "belt" part to me and you do everything else. You will break down the engine, just short of the removal of the belt. I will do the belt part and once it is installed and verified, you finish the job.

I need to get my brake bleeder back from Aaron.

You can clean the intake manifold as I wrote the instructions myself. It has a few changes need but most people are fine with it.

Scheduling a time is going to be tricky. It is best on short notice starting in a few weeks after my ex collects her belongings which is taking up the whole garage.

Dakota2004

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
DeafBug said:
I found Snowballs cleaning instructions in the "How To" section but did not see yours, can you provide a link?

Dakota2004

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
DeafBug said:
I can pencil you in if you need my service. Just exactly what do you want done? Will you have the intake manifold cleaned by then?
DeafBug, can you get ahold me thru PM with a way to contact you? The only thing I will need you for is the TB. I will take care of everything else.

Dakota2004

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
DeafBug said:
I got your email but I am too busy to reply it.
Don’t worry about it I have found a guru to change my belt. I want to thank all of you that offered, it’s great to have a bunch of people willing to help you out.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
Losha is good as I showed him the ropes. Just as I did to jason years ago. See where he is today. I hope Losha gets that far too. For me, considering the situation I am in. I like to phase myself out so I can enjoy life instead of having dirty hands every weekend. But I still want to help from time to time as I really enjoying doing belts (and I got to keep the information fresh in my head.) I know there are people that exclusively wants me to do their belts. As long as they own their TDI, I am willing.

Last edited: