Need help with cables...

Nutsnguts

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Hi Guys.
This is my first post here and I'm a newbie. I recently purchased a 2014 Passat TDI. It was running great until it didn't want to start one morning after a few days of being in garage. I checked the battery and it was very low (not surprising since it's the original battery, manufactured in 2013).

So I figured I might as well purchase a new battery but while taking out the old one I realized the engine bay is really dusty and dirty and could use a clean up, especially the air intake assembly and battery area. When I took out the frame that holds the battery I noticed there's a cable connected to the transmission mount bracket and it looks like it needs replacing because the rubber is worn out in one area and you can see the wires...

My problem is that I don't know what this cable is called? I'm hoping someone can tell me what this cable is for? I took a picture of it but I can't post link to it... Thanks

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
This looks to be the VW part - Ground Cable - Volkswagen (1K0-971-250) but for $60 I think I would try the local auto parts store, it is just a ground cable.

Nutsnguts

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Thanks for the reply!
Yeah that's a bit steep for a cable. Could I not just try to wrap it with electrical tape?

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
No, it could be rusted inside and not providing the ground needed. When you have a weak ground, you can start getting all kinds of weird things happening in all kinds of systems. Measure the thickness of that wire and go to an auto supply place and find a wire that gauge. If you can’t find one, check a junkyard or buy the vw one.

Your choice of tint makes it look rusty. My experience with battery cables in a salt water environment shows the rot from rust will creep up inside where the cable cover is good.

Last edited:

Nutsnguts

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Hey NSTDI, thanks for the info.

I might have to check the junkyard or go to the dealer... I went to Canadian Tire and they didn't have the same type of cable. If you look at the end of the cable on the right side there is another red cable connected to it and all the cables I could find don't have that same connection :(

The wires are actually green. Here's a photo without my editing magic :)

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
green = corroded copper

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I think the logic is probably: internal corrosion expanded the wire, which split the insulation.

These guys have your part, and I think they ship to Canada:

But if you are desperate, you can always carefully open the crimp at the connectors and replace with a good quality wire of the same gauge and re-crimp. Is not going to look pretty but it will be functional...until it corrodes again.

Do you have the belly pan in place? You don't want winter salt water splashing all over down there.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
green death strikes again

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Check junkyards at ww.car-part.com, anywhere in Canada USA. Likely that cable is on many models of VW but for sure 99% the 2012-2014 Passat Tdi and maybe other years and gas models.

Nutsnguts

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Thanks for all the information everyone! Sorry I've been away and finally got a chance to catch up.

I have not been getting any errors/codes anywhere in the system so I ended up just taping it with electrical tape for the time being... not a long-term solution but I need to hunt down the exact cable and the VW dealership here has not been useful. I have been chatting with the dealer here and I sent him the same picture I posted here but the cable he thinks I need looks different (see link: 1K0971250L). Again, it doesn't have that secondary red cable connected... This is why I think my best chance of finding the exact cable is taking it off from another '14 Passat at a junkyard :(

NSTDI, thanks for that link! That will be useful for the future.

PedroYUL, the cable got damaged from the battery housing rubbing on it over time. It was pinched between the housing and the trans mount bracket.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Soldering electrical connections vs just proper crimp & heat shrink is a long long debate.

VW states soldering should never be used as it doesn't allow for any flexibility and will fail, everything should be crimped and only crimped. A quality heat shrink with glue or vulcanizing tap will do wonders.