Need assistance for setting a price.

straw10

Veteran Member
TDI
looking to get back to the TDI soon
Potential for a 3rd child in the near future and thinking about selling my car to facilitate the potential to carry 2 car seats and a booster.

2001 Golf 4-door GLS
  • automatic
  • monsoon sound
  • heated seats
  • only AM/FM Cassette (don't know why, I bought it with 19K)
  • Car has been @41 mpg for the 145K that I've had the car in 70/30 H-C
  • 165K right now
  • needs some wear and tear TLC.
  • Interior is in very good shape, no tears, non smoker
  • minor fender bender on rear left quarter and bumper. Quarter can be saved, need new rear bumper.
  • front right wheel bearing needs to be replaced.
  • new brake pads due within 10K or so.
  • will need fresh tires
  • replaced MAF @155K
  • had timing belt done @105K
  • last fuel filter done @135K
Car runs well, no starting issues or transmission issues. I absolutely love this car to death, but the prospect of the growing family kind of puts us in a pinch if the wife's SUV goes to the shop for anything or if she's out of town and I have the kids, we'll need a "go to" vehicle.
I see such a wide array of pricing all around, whether it be here, eBay, Craig's List. I think I have an idea of what it's worth based on cost to fix versus going rate for cars in good condition, but could use some help from you fine folks as to where I should be looking. I'd like to have a solid idea in my head before I negotiate new car.

Everyone here has always been helpful to me, so I'm hoping for that good fortune once again.

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
I have had 2 forward facing seats (two under two) and a 12 year old in the back. ;) Anyway...

7-11K depending on condition, hard to determine without seeing the vehicle, IMO.

Jason

straw10

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll have a rear-facing, a forward facing, and a booster. My oldest is 5. Way too tight for easy access. I wish I didn't have to sell...I think the value of the car depends on who buys it. The parts necessary to fix it to very good condition are reasonable: bearing, brakes, tires, the labor is a little long on the bearing. The rear quarter can be banged out, but the bumper needs replacing. I'm hoping for the low-end of what you suggested. I would really love more input from our veteran members.

bird lives

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS '03 Jetta Wagon
You figure with repairs made this is about a $8800-$9500 car. Mileage isn't terribly high for a TDI, but its likely to scare off a few potential buyers. Unless the rear end is worse than I thought I would say $7500 would probably end up in your pocket. Did you price the bumper? I know its hard to put $$$ into something you're selling, but with a fixed bumper and some pictures (mmmm...pictures) you could get maybe $9000. I use my cassette player all the time knowing that the punk going through my car wouldn't know what the hell to do with a Grateful Dead bootleg tape. Good luck and keep us posted.

straw10

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I might have that bootleg copy of the Dead you are talking about. Right around the wheel well is crumpled, I was told this could be hammered out and fixed without too much trouble, but I definitely need a new bumper. I'll try to post a pic. Thanks for the help...this is encouraging.

straw10

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you think trying to get 6500 is out of the question? I'll try to post pics of the rear damage to give you an idea. But the car is in good running shape, interior clean, just needs what is listed above. Also, I was the only driver/passenger for 99% of the miles, so interior has minimal wear/tear.

Last edited: