Need an opinion on a 2015 Passat

Zillpickle

TDI
2.0L VW Passat
So a month ago i went with my girlfriends mother and we got her a nice used 2015 Passat tdi with only 129k kilometers on it and the other day her son asked to use it, took it for a ride instead of what he said he needed it for and smashed it into a snowbank breaking the lower grill on the bumper but also doing something to the radiator as all the coolant is now gone. He then drove it over 100 km afterwards overheating the engine causing to stall and then repeated 3 more times on the drive. Fast forward I'm trying to see if the engine is repairable. The oil smells horribly burnt and when i tried to see if it would turn over it does but it sounds like its straining incredibly hard similar to having a weak starter or battery. Anyone here with experience with these motors know how badly he messed up her car? Any tips as to what to look for would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Sounds like a blown engine and a boy that needs a spanking...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
100% trashed. Warpped head, burnt everything, blown crank, cam ect. Nothing is in spec. Throw it away or eat it. Either way I would not invest $ into it

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Rings get too hot, oil cokes up in rings, no line, too hot, warpped cylinders ends up scoring the pistons. Nothing to do but swap or junk.
Really sorry. Coolant or oil can go a very short little bit with out but that long, . No.
Pull the oil filter, cut it open and inspect . Tons of metal in the oil and filter. 100% garantee

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Junk it...or plan on a motor.
Everything has been abused, overheated, and done several times.
Don't spend a dime on fixing the engine....

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
I'd suggest getting an expert's opinion- VW has a lot of safeguards in the software to make it pretty hard to abuse an engine to destruction, and sounds like this happened in cold weather too. Heck, back in the 70s I had a Ford Cortina we were rebuilding from a wreck and we drove it 20 miles in -15C temps with no coolant or even a radiator and it barely got warm and ran happily for thousands more miles after we put it all together. The 2nd reason you want to get an expert's opinion is to document the damage so your insurance will pay for the damage to the engine if there is any.

Zillpickle

TDI
2.0L VW Passat
I appreciate all the input, towed the car to a reputable mechanic and they took a day to look over the car and they confirmed my hunch and most the opinions shared, the engine was completely cooked. I believe gearheadgrrrl when you say they have safeguards but i think due to the hit being hard enough something went wrong with the ecu too as the car lights up the dash like Christmas. A new engine and several other parts are going to be replaced though and we can only hope for the best from here. Really sucks that it was her first car and her son ruined it within a month......

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Sounds like the son should be footing the bill for the repairs, and then be banned from ever driving it again once it's fixed...