NB rear seat removal

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
Is there an easy way to remove the rear seat cushion to maximize the storage area behind the front seats? I hate to try bending the rods in order to "spring them" from the pivots. Helpful tips appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

BlueBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2000, Bright Blue & Yellow, Things & Wings rolling advertisement
Jim,

I don't pull the seat back out, but I have found that a quick way to make more room, is to flip the front seat forward, step into the footwell of the back seat. I then flip the bottom cushion up and press in the center of the bottom cushion on the spring steel rod that runs the length of the seat. This will pop the rod out from one side where it holds the seat cushion in. The bottom cushion lifts out easily. I then pop off the headrests, and folding luggage cover. Fold the rear seatback down and Walah! Beetle Pickup...

The main advantage to this method is that it is fast. I can be converted and store the bonus items in the garage in a couple of minutes. And the best part is that by removing the lower seat cushion, I can still keep the front seats all of the way back and reclined.

It worked wonders for the Hiwassee GTG last week in Tenn., with room for the cooler centered behind the back seat for easy traveling access, tents, sleeping bags, and camp equipment. All of this below the the window level, so that there was great visibility while traveling.

-Tim

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Crazy old bump...anybody actually take out the bench seats for more room? I can't figure how to pull them out?

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Pull plastic cover off hinges and then pull out pin...rear bench seats out in no time. Opens up a lot of space.