NB Clutch question

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
I've got a 2001 NB that is going to be in need of a throwout bearing in the near future. In traffic I can hear it growl while holding the pedal down. My question is: to split the engine and trans, do they need to be completely dropped out of the car? I've got about 169K miles on the car. If they do have to be dropped, then I am going to go on and do another TB and change out 5th gear all while it's out. If it doesn't have to come out, I'll do the clutch and wait on the belt til it's closer to time for it.

As I put between 700 and 1k miles a week on the road with the bug, and generally work 7 days a week, I want to do all of this as efficiently as possible. I get enough recreational maintenance on our aircraft at work and don't need to make myself do more at home.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
cvairwerks said:
I've got a 2001 NB that is going to be in need of a throwout bearing in the near future. In traffic I can hear it growl while holding the pedal down. My question is: to split the engine and trans, do they need to be completely dropped out of the car? I've got about 169K miles on the car. If they do have to be dropped, then I am going to go on and do another TB and change out 5th gear all while it's out. If it doesn't have to come out, I'll do the clutch and wait on the belt til it's closer to time for it.

As I put between 700 and 1k miles a week on the road with the bug, and generally work 7 days a week, I want to do all of this as efficiently as possible. I get enough recreational maintenance on our aircraft at work and don't need to make myself do more at home.
I am not sure what you are asking here. You can remove the trans without removing the engine. Honestly I would get rid of the dual mass flywheel and do a G60 vr-6 upgrade.

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
Thanks Hevster1, you did answer what I was looking for. If it took dropping the engine and trans as an assembly to be able to split them, then I was going to do several other upgrades while I had them out. Since you can split them without doing that, then I'll just do a clutch job and hold off on the TB and other items til this fall.