Myth #1: The glow plugs don’t turn on when the driver’s door is opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SkyPup

Originally posted by SkyPup:
Here is a VW TDI ALH model for comparison:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am quite confident that VWAG knows which TDI engine it is that they have outlined in their schematic presented here.

What do you find about this engine that is not an A4 ALH TDI?

Here is the older A3 AHU model for comaprison purposes:

Do you need me to include the title of each one to keep the confusion and misunderstanding down to a manageable level?

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
Do you need me to include the title of each one to keep the confusion and misunderstanding down to a manageable level?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, and neither do you now that you edited your previous post to say AHU instead of ALH.

S

SkyPup

Sounds good, whenever I make a mistake I'm always happy to see you correct it!

Boundless

BANNED
Sounds good, whenever I make a mistake I'm always happy to see you correct it!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">SkyPup must be a real happy boy!

LOL

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Originally posted by Steve Addy:
I may be wrong, but I dont believe that the AHU engine pictured is for A3, the turbo sits too far rearward, and the oil filter / cooler is is at an angle, with the inlets facing toward the front of the car.This looks more like a longtitudinal mounting instead.

my .02
steve a
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Quite possibly it's the wireframe for the industrial TDI engine, based off of the 1Z/AHU engine.

S

SkyPup

For the record, it is the 1997 A3 TDI-R engine out of the VWAG 1997 A3 TDI-R race Golf.

Hope that makes Boundless, Davin, and of course Dieseldorf happy as we would NOT wish to keep perpetuating these endless TDI MYTHS here like Dieseldorf has been so busy doing....

Has he figured out if he has a TDI yet? Or still working diligently on that myth too?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
...Dieseldorf happy as we would NOT wish to keep perpetuating these endless TDI MYTHS here like Dieseldorf has been so busy doing....

Has he figured out if he has a TDI yet? Or still working diligently on that myth too?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">SP, you finally figured it out. It sure took long enough!

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
yeah the older model TDI's had that but sometimes there was to long of a time lapse between the car door shutting and engine starting so it was discontinued. I asked the saleslady i delt with for two years about this

S

SkyPup

Dieseldorf, have you got anymore interesting myths you'd like to share with us?

Perhaps cutting diesel fuel 50:50 with gasoline for better mileage and long term reliability?

Adding ATF, brake fluid, used motor oil, pesticides, herbicides, oil based paints, or other waste solvents you have laying around in the garage to your fuel to recycle the waste and improve your engine?

I always really liked the one about pouring a liter of ethyl ether down into the MAF and turning on the glow plugs myself. This method is in one of the Al Queda Terrorist handbooks of how to wipe out a diplomatic staff in their Mercedes. The key point in their assassination methodology is to make certain the diesel vehicle is NOT one of the older types with the door activated glow plugs, since that just blows people out of the car with the doors open. Of course, Al Queda is so stupid that they failed to mention in their instructions to the bomber not to be smoking a cigarette or cigar during the commission of this tactical method, turning it quite often into a tactical error instead.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am trying to come up with a few more but I will only offer material that I can document. My powers of fabrication and deception just aren't what they used to be.

S

SkyPup

Let's see, you only got 4 Myths going on now, don't you feel you could easily double or triple that? I am confident you can find dozens of massive myths in your owners manual. Just read your owners manual a little closer? What kind of fuel does it say to use, how about durin the winter? Any mention of biodiesel? What kind of oil should you be using? How about the warranty and your legal rights? Maybe some kind of difference between forward and reverse gears when you let the clutch out?

wkendrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
tdi

Perhaps cutting diesel fuel 50:50 with gasoline for better mileage and long term reliability?

Adding ATF, brake fluid, used motor oil, pesticides, herbicides, oil based paints, or other waste solvents you have laying around in the garage to your fuel to recycle the waste and improve your engine?

I always really liked the one about pouring a liter of ethyl ether down into the MAF and turning on the glow plugs myself. This method is in one of the Al Queda Terrorist handbooks of how to wipe out a diplomatic staff in their Mercedes. The key point in their assassination methodology is to make certain the diesel vehicle is NOT one of the older types with the door activated glow plugs, since that just blows people out of the car with the doors open. Of course, Al Queda is so stupid that they failed to mention in their instructions to the bomber not to be smoking a cigarette or cigar during the commission of this tactical method, turning it quite often into a tactical error instead.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He's baaaaaaack.....

Didn't think SP could behave for more than a few days. Sigh...

S

SkyPup

Originally posted by wkendrvr:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by SkyPup:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He's baaaaaaack.....

Didn't think SP could behave for more than a few days. Sigh...

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whoa, he is back, didn't think wkendrvr miss another primetime opportunity....

BTW, last time I checked my owners manual it mentioned that only authorized VW Service personnel should perform any and all maintanence on the TDI. Does this mean that TDI owners should never ever open the hood and always call an authorized service person to do it for them? Is there a DTC that they can read with the 1551 to deny warranty if the hood has been opened without their permission?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I may be wrong, but I dont believe that the AHU engine pictured is for A3, the turbo sits too far rearward, and the oil filter / cooler is is at an angle, with the inlets facing toward the front of the car.This looks more like a longtitudinal mounting instead.

my .02
steve a

Status
Not open for further replies.