Myrtle Beach, Sc

Albertocrat

TDI
2005 Golf
Looking to get intake manifold cleaned on 2005 Golf Tdi. Anyone know any reputable mechanics within 50 miles? Car is going into limp mode so I would love to keep the trip local. If id pay just as much at the dealer let me know.

TNTKNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Pretty rare for an 05 to need the intake cleaned. I personally have never seen a dirty intake cause a limp mode issue. Sounds like something else might be going on with your car.

Albertocrat

TDI
2005 Golf
I brought the car to my local vw dealership. I told them that i saw a "sticky gunk" up by the vnt actuator which i thought was causing it to go into limp mode. They came back with "diaphragm for turbo vane faulty, also had high reading for fuel. According to my research i have to replace the entire turbo. Where would be the best place to buy one be and how much are we talking. If im already replacing it would there be any benefit to an upgrade over the standard? Anyone with experience replacing the turbo have suggestions on things to be cautious of?

Initially the car would go into what i believed was limp mode and after restarting would function properly. More recently the turbo will not engage at all even with a restart. At about 50-60mph the car will provide no power at higher rpms but when it downshifts to 2k i can get some acceleration. In the interim will the car be damaged driving the car back and forth to work without the turbo functioning?

Last edited:

Albertocrat

TDI
2005 Golf
Anyone have any suggestions? The fact that initially a restart would get the turbo working makes me think that it wasnt the diaphragm causing the problem.

xMikeyGx

TDI
03 Jetta TDI
I just moved from Myrtle Beach so hopefully this will help you out a bit. I would check out Autohaus just off of 17 by the Airport. The labor is a bit pricey but the dude does it right the first time and guarantees his work and includes a warranty on parts. You also might want to check out AutoCare Services on Joe White Blvd. if you don't have the money to shell out on labor.

Albertocrat

TDI
2005 Golf
I just moved from Myrtle Beach so hopefully this will help you out a bit. I would check out Autohaus just off of 17 by the Airport. The labor is a bit pricey but the dude does it right the first time and guarantees his work and includes a warranty on parts. You also might want to check out AutoCare Services on Joe White Blvd. if you don't have the money to shell out on labor.
Thanks for the info ill check them out. Im really hoping to find someone close who can help me diagnose before i fork out money for a turbo. Does anyone know if ill do any harm driving if the diaphragm in the turbo is shot?