My Jetta Failed Me.

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
Well, she went 4 years without a hint of giving me problems, but boy did i get it in spades with my trip out to Windsor this weekend. Between the service and reception I filled up at a Petro Can (my TDI hasn't seen anything but Sunoco Gold in 2 yrs) and 10km later on the expressway the car lets out a loud bang. At first i thought it was a tire, but I had a sudden loss of power and the car seemed to want to stall. After trying to see how driving back to toronto would fair in this condition my MIL light came on and i declared defeat. Had to have the car towed 320 kms to my dealer (Roseland) in Burlington. Thankfully CAA covered the first 200km else i was looking at a $700 tow.

I'll call my dealer tomorrow morning to hear the damage. From what i've read from people's posts its likely a hose lose or problem with the fuel filter. I cross my fingers and hope whichever option its not terribly expensive!

Ack

Dev

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
If it was the timing belt, it wouldn't have ran after the bang. But it does sound serious. It could have been a problem with your fuel pump. I have had warp field collapse happen on my car when I had a tuning box installed. Under heeeaaaavvvyyy WOT, i got a loud bang from my engine. I though It was toast, but after stopping & restarting, it ran fine. That was 30k ago. Of course I immediately took the TB out.

Could it have been bad diesel? 10KM after a refuel sounds awfully coincidental? Maybe at the last delivery, they put gas in the underground diesel tank. I've seen that before? Let us know what the code was when the dealer pulls it. Might need a new fuel pump. If it was the fault of bad fuel, I hope you kept your receipt. A time stamp on it and the corresponding call to CAA shortly thereafter will assist in your case against them if they are the cause.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
I also would be surprised at the timing belt as it just was replaced 10k ago at about 95k. At first I was set against the fuel, but alas I'm not sure. I'll see if my dealer can take a look tomorrow and report in. I called the gas bar hopeing they had the facilities to drain the tank and I'd go get diesel elsewhere, but they claimed no fault (of course) and that 3-4 others had used that pump since I left without issue.

[ QUOTE ]
wingnut said:
If it was the timing belt, it wouldn't have ran after the bang. But it does sound serious. It could have been a problem with your fuel pump. I have had warp field collapse happen on my car when I had a tuning box installed. Under heeeaaaavvvyyy WOT, i got a loud bang from my engine. I though It was toast, but after stopping & restarting, it ran fine. That was 30k ago. Of course I immediately took the TB out.

Could it have been bad diesel? 10KM after a refuel sounds awfully coincidental? Maybe at the last delivery, they put gas in the underground diesel tank. I've seen that before? Let us know what the code was when the dealer pulls it. Might need a new fuel pump. If it was the fault of bad fuel, I hope you kept your receipt. A time stamp on it and the corresponding call to CAA shortly thereafter will assist in your case against them if they are the cause.

Good luck and keep us posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Here is a guess from knowing about T/Diesel Trucks:

Intercooler tube popping off.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
My car experienced the same situation last week. I had removed my intake plumbing several thousand miles ago to do a timing belt replacement. I guess I didn't get the hose clamp behind the passenger side headlamp back in place securely enough because it blew off with a violent thunder. I experienced a very loud bang similar to running over a cinder block followed by huge plumes of smoke from the exhaust. The exhaust smoke subsided once I let off the accelerator and I was able to limp home. However, even though I stopped the car almost immediately after hearing the explosion, the intake pipe had been thrown into the power steering pulley and the damage to the pipe was irreparable.

I did a internet search for a replacement intake pipe using the part number that was stamped on the part. Since I was in a hurry for the part I ended up going to my local VW dealer and having him order the part. To my surprise, the part number was superceded to a newer number and the price of the part went from $106.73 at Impex to $65.25 at the dealership. I was shocked to say the least. I actually saved money at the dealership. The part arrived the next day and my TDI is back in business. I went the extra mile and removed my front bumper cover and headlamp to ensure that I got the hoses securely fastened this time around.

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
For all those that said "Intake hose', you get a shiny nickel. Just got off the phone with the dealership, gotta wait till tomorrow as the part needs to be special ordered. At least that doesn't sound SO expensive. Unfortunately I had a service booked for Tuesday for an oil change and replace pads and rotors. Another fun and expensive visit to the dealer, oy.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When can I pick up my nickel? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good to hear it wasnt serious...

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
You'll have to get it from the dealer, thats where i left most of my money. Really though it was 200 cad to diagnose and replace the hose. I'm glad as hell to have it back. Was kinda funny, they kept asking me if my car had a chip in it, something along the lines of 'the fastest diesel they every drove'. Asked my wife again when she picked it up /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
mannytranny said:
When can I pick up my nickel? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good to hear it wasnt serious...

[/ QUOTE ]

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you have a chip?

Wouldnt you want to take it off before going to the dealer to avoid a voided warranty?

Which chip is it?

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
My 99.5 is well out of warantee. Upsolute is my chip of choice.

[ QUOTE ]
mannytranny said:
Do you have a chip?

Wouldnt you want to take it off before going to the dealer to avoid a voided warranty?

Which chip is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Devious: How do you like the chip? Any idea what that does to EGT's?

Whatd it set you back?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Just a chip isn't going to spike the EGT's too much unless you are running up a mountain. The chip is the way to go for some serious power boost. You won't believe it the first time you drive your car chipped.