My GSW Totalled by Flying Dog!

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
I cannot freakin' believe it. Just got word my 2015 has been totaled by the insurance company. Bizarre accident yesterday the cops had never seen before. Driving along the highway at 65, and passing under an overpass two brown animals come tumbling down from above. In the fraction of a second I went from thinking deer to the body shape ain't right. One landed a car length in front of me - probably didn't touch the brake pedal before contact. The other landed in the next lane. I pulled over quickly. The dog I struck was almost 100ft down the shoulder, incredibly was alive but not moving, didn't look too severly damaged but was bleeding out the mouth. The other dog, incredibly enough, survived its fall from 18-20ft onto hard surface and scramble up the embankment and hunkered down.

Luckily I had two witnesses, a lady behind me and someone who was on the overpass that said the two dogs were chasing each other and both ran over the side! I've heard many instances of deer doing that, but not dogs.

My damage was all below the bumper line. Leaking coolant made me a tow job. Bottom plastic engine cover pretty much off, so I'm thinking okay, a few thousand and I'll be good to go. Well, the appraiser said my car was badly ripped up underneath, at least $9k without even getting it on a lift for a better look. Obviously the I went over it, but cannot believe the dog looked so relatively good for the damage it did and the forces on its body. Unfreakin' real! He said from what he could see there was some possibility the transmission (DSG) was damaged too.

This car was in mint condition, 75k, fairly new tires, and had the awesome tan trim doors, dash, and interior that looks so much better than all black most GSWs have. I'm just sick. Best I can do is find one like it new. Despite not seeing TDIs on the road anymore, I'd be shocked if VW had anymore stop-sale cars, plus they'd have been sitting around nearly five years if they did.

I'd insert an image if I knew how. It seems to not allow for uploading off local drive.

I'm waiting to hear an offer from insurance, but I'm not either a) in a position to gamble on getting it properly fixed for a reasonable amount, or b) trying to buy it back and part it out. No lifts for things like engine and tranny, no way to be shipping large parts, even the seats. Not sure there's enough local market to bother with. Oy veh!

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
God, that sounds awful. Sorry you had to experience that. I had a dog sprint out in front of my Golf one night a few years back. I slammed on the brakes and managed to slow down to about 10 mph before impact. The dog seemed to be ok and scampered off. All it did to my car was a small scratch on the bumper and broke the lower plastic grille.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Another dieselgate tragedy. It has lowered the value on these cars such that almost any accident will total the car. I have seen some Passats in the $10k range.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Well, the appraiser said my car was badly ripped up underneath, at least $9k without even getting it on a lift for a better look. Obviously the I went over it, but cannot believe the dog looked so relatively good for the damage it did and the forces on its body. Unfreakin' real! He said from what he could see there was some possibility the transmission (DSG) was damaged too.

Glad you are ok.

If the insurance appraiser was able to accurately evaluate the damage without getting the car on a lift, and determine there was damage to the DSG without operating the car, you may want to fight to get it reevaluated.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Sorry about the car, but this once again re-inforces the idea of having a good aftermarket skidplate under the car. The few measly bucks paid for it are worth every penny !

TDI
'15 A3 - 2.0 TDI, '14 Q7 - 3.0 TDI
Sorry for your loss.

I recently had a run in with a parking stop/curb in a parking lot in my 2015 A3 TDI. I usually back into spaces to avoid such issue but I became frustrated when someone was taking forever to back out and therefore blocking me from pulling up and backing in. I pulled in forward and apparently hooked the radiator support on the curb. Didn't hear or feel anything when I pulled in, but after shopping I got in and went to pull out. Cracked the radiator support, tore both fender liners and all the mounting tabs off my bumper as well as broke my grill and bent the mounting tabs on the front of both fenders.

I took one look around at the damage and decided it was a job for the body shop. Upon dropping it off, the quick walk around, I was given a ballpark figure of $3,500. Insurance OK'ed it and they tore it down. Next day they call with an updated detailed quote of $5,800. At this point I wondered if I was in risk of it being totaled.

In the end, insurance paid and it's all restored to better than previous condition. Cost me my deductible... But with the bill being this high, it's a wonder to me they didn't discuss totaling it. Bluebook is only about 13k on my car, this was approaching half that.

I would recommend you get a second quote, if they will allow it, but things like this get expensive quick. I would have never guessed a bumper, radiator support and some misc pieces would end up close to 6 grand.

Hatchet Ratchet

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Though your experience was very rare, sad, and unfortunate for the dogs for sure; at least it wasn't a person.
a girl i dated in high school was following a semi about 100feet back, when a guy i also went to high school with decided to end his life that day by jumping off the overpass into the semi's path. both her and the truck driver had to both witness and burden that experience. This was probably 15-17 years ago.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Another dieselgate tragedy. It has lowered the value on these cars such that almost any accident will total the car. I have seen some Passats in the $10k range.
Don't worry all VW's are like that, any air bag deploys due to accident on a 5 year old VW, 90% change it'll be totaled.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
All cars with expensive safety devices are like that, the late model VW tdi's just get an extra hit for having a built in negative value adjustment right off the top.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The industry rule is 80% of book value is a blowaway. If someone is faced with damage getting close to the cusp, in most states you can ask for replacement value so adjusters have to find market place offerings to determine settlement values. Thats important with tdi's, as book values tend to be lower than the market prices.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
They want to give me $12.5k for it. On-line values range from $11400 private value and $13,800 dealer to up to $16.5k KBB. Tomorrow I'm looking at a buyback CPO (which means dealers still must be able to get them), same as mine, for $14.5k but with only 13,300 miles! You can tell it was a buyback from its Carfax. Had that mileage on it in 2017 when it disappeared, re-appearing in 4/2020 with a few miles more. I'm hoping to beat them down, but unlike a new car I really have no idea what they have in it. I have to figure in their $799 processing fee - grrr.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
I would recommend you get a second quote, if they will allow it, but things like this get expensive quick. I would have never guessed a bumper, radiator support and some misc pieces would end up close to 6 grand.

He said AC condensor, various parts and brackets underneath all bent up, looked like the oil pan may be damaged, etc. Oh yeah, control arm bent and maybe some other suspension damage on one side. I just can believe a dog could have done all that.

Last edited:

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad you are ok.

If the insurance appraiser was able to accurately evaluate the damage without getting the car on a lift, and determine there was damage to the DSG without operating the car, you may want to fight to get it reevaluated.

In fairness, he didn't say it was damaged, but that he thought it MIGHT be. The appraiser, an independent, I think based that on the red fluid, which is really the antifreeze. I told him the DSG does not have normal ATF fluid in it. Personally, I think virtually no chance of damage. Me thinks it would have had to have been hit with something much more solid than a dog. Also, the tow guy initially tried to drive it onto the truck, and while he couldn't due to the slick service and coolant, the tranny tried, appearing to drive the wheels normally.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They want to give me $12.5k for it. On-line values range from $11400 private value and $13,800 dealer to up to $16.5k KBB. Tomorrow I'm looking at a buyback CPO (which means dealers still must be able to get them), same as mine, for $14.5k but with only 13,300 miles! You can tell it was a buyback from its Carfax. Had that mileage on it in 2017 when it disappeared, re-appearing in 4/2020 with a few miles more. I'm hoping to beat them down, but unlike a new car I really have no idea what they have in it. I have to figure in their $799 processing fee - grrr.
I'd be surprised if they are into it for more than $12k. Dealerships are hurting badly currently. I bet they'd take $13k. Even with super low miles it's still a five year old car.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
An outfit near me has always a great selection of tdi's including sportwagens all low miles. Even three A3's, one with 6k miles. Ridesmartauto.com is their site. If Virginia allows survey method of value determination, you could use them. Meanwhile, sportwagen values are up as they are not plentiful. If I were in your position, I'd seriously think about upgrading from a 75k to one with low miles. You may be able to squeeze a bit more out of ins company using survey method or kbb and the small difference you'll pay is well worth it to loose 60k miles or more.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad you are ok.

I think I'm going to do that. When I went to it Saturday to get my personal belongings out, I brought a tarp to lay on and a flashlight and took a look. I can't see all this damage he spoke of. The control arm may be bent, and the left wheel was indeed sitting an inch further back than the other, but had trouble seeing much else, and not sure how he could have. He reported possible oil pan damage, however the engine runs fine, no oil light, no sign of leak. If the pan was damaged, apparently not to any degree. The tranny seemed to be fine in the limited attempts to run the car onto the tow truck.

What will really shoot me through the roof is that I bought a replacement Friday. If this winds up fixable I'll have bought a car for nothing! In hindsight I should have gotten down there sooner for my belongings, but it is two hours away and I just wasn't thinking of getting screwed except on the valuation. The tow operator said the insurance companies are ripoffs, and maybe since my car was immaculate they thought they'd do better selling it off and paying me off, even if the car not really totaled. I guess I'll know more tomorrow.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
You got your check, and you bought a replacement.

Why bother or care about whether or not your old one is really totaled?

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
You got your check, and you bought a replacement.

Why bother or care about whether or not your old one is really totaled?
I don't have my check. We have not agreed on a valuation. What if they cost me a bunch of money and days of time for nothing? There'd be some avenues to pursue.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I don't have my check. We have not agreed on a valuation. What if they cost me a bunch of money and days of time for nothing? There'd be some avenues to pursue.
So you bought a replacement without getting paid first?

My advice still stands. Get paid, move on. $12.5K is very fair.

Not to mention, if insurance has already deemed it a loss, regardless if you can fix it, the car is near worthless with a salvage title. Most people fight to get their car totaled, not repaired. And I highly doubt the cost benefit of “pursuing other avenues” will be in your favor.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Appraiser has submitted his report to ins company that its a total loss. The car you bought has 60k miles less on it which I think is worth probably 4-5 grand more than a 75k one. even if you got present one fixed it would have carfax damage record. If you had better wheels/tires on your damaged one than the replacement one, you might be able to switch them by agreement with ins co.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When the smoke settles, you got one 60k less miles, clean carfax, maybe even some powertrain warranty. With a repaired one, or damage record, VW could possibly deny warranty extension all for a couple grand. If flying dog damage comes under comprehensive, your premium won,t increase. In Pa, deer hits are comp, pig hits are collision.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
So you bought a replacement without getting paid first?
What's wrong with that? Fortunately we don't have a lot of experience wrecking cars, and when my daughter's Beetle got totaled years ago it was a clear-cut case, plus the company (not our current one) paid us $1k more than we saw anyplace for the maximum value! I had the money, it looked to be about as good a car as I was likely to find, wasn't looking to drag the search out and possibly lose out on what might turn out to be the best option. If I did wrong I want to learn in case there's a next time.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
When the smoke settles, you got one 60k less miles, clean carfax, maybe even some powertrain warranty. With a repaired one, or damage record, VW could possibly deny warranty extension all for a couple grand. If flying dog damage comes under comprehensive, your premium won,t increase. In Pa, deer hits are comp, pig hits are collision.
Are pig strikes a thing in PA? :D Never heard of that even in VA. The damage was under comprehensive. Replacement car is CPO, so full two year factory warranty, plus the extensions from the Phase 2 fix it's had. No question on a dollar-to-dollar basis the replacement is a better deal, though not happy about all the scratches, black interior, etc. I guess I'll get over it and pay to get the scratches fixed.

A lot of it comes down to a feeling of getting screwed and wanting to do something about it. I just need to forget and move on. They saw a car that was scratchless and ding-less, showroom interior, and figured it would get good money at auction and they'd make out better than fixing it and to hell with me. As far as resale value, I've kept cars for very high mileage so really not much of an issue to me. My fatal mistake was letting them appraise it rather than tow it to a good shop. If it happened near where I live I 'd definitely have towed it to a body shop, but I didn't know shops in this area and I had to tell the tow guy some place. Grrr.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are pig strikes a thing in PA? :D
Probably more of a thing than flying dog strikes. :)
Not sure how they handle flying pig strikes.

Glad you're happy with the new car. You did well to part ways with the old one. Once they get a taste for blood it never ends.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
They saw a car that was scratchless and ding-less, showroom interior, and figured it would get good money at auction and they'd make out better than fixing it and to hell with me.
You’re very stuck on this thinking.

Your insurance company doesn’t care about that. They’re not going to auction it themselves. It’s going to Copart and getting stripped for parts as it has a Salvage title now.

You didn’t get screwed, you made out.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You should kiss that dog, You might think about having your new ride ceramic pro coated as they will remove the scratches in the process. Mine is black also and after 2 1/2 years the ceramic coating has been great, dirt, road scum, don't stick to it and it looks as good as new even though its parked outside. Bird poop slides right off and tree sap doesn't stick either.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It will go to copart and end up as a taxi in Bangladesh.