My buyback fiasco today (long story)

hntwhitetail

TDI
:mad:

Today was not my best day. So I have been waiting since December 15, 2016 to turn in my 2010 jetta tdi. This is the only vehicle that I have, besides an old farm truck, and I drive 120miles a day. I get to the dealership @ Byers in Columbus, OH this afternoon and am greeted by a nice salesman. He asks what I am looking for today, and I say VW is buying my car back today and I am interested in a new Passat and would be using my check to purchase a new car. So I meet the guy buying back, who is a very nice and courteous individual. I sign my documents, give him the title, he goes out to check the car, I wait and he comes back in and says that the miles are over and since I requested a check, that I would have to schedule another appointment. I stayed calm. I asked when I could get another appointment and he said it would be a few days.

I live 1hr and 15mins from the dealership and had to ask an elderly family member to go to the dealership with me. I do not like asking people for help. I explained to him about the situation and he let me know that I would have to reschedule online. While I was in there, I called VW claims. The first lady I talked to, I explained the situation and she said that I could just leave the car @ the dealer and have to pay a per day storage fee, this was ridiculous, and reschedule. She said that they do not have access to the schedule and the only people who can see the schedule is the person logged on in the portal (me). I said that you need to get me someone else to talk to, so I'm on hold for 9minutes while she goes and gets her floor manager. During the hold, I tell the nice guy from the buyback that she just said I could leave the car there and I would be charged so much per day from the dealership. He could not believe this, so he goes and asks the manager @ Byers if I could leave the car on the lot w/o being charged and he said yes. I told him that no one knows how long it will take to get an appointment and I cant leave a car somewhere where I cant watch it w/ my insurance on it.
The lady on the phone finally comes back on the phone and now her floor manager is on the phone. At this time, I have her on speaker for most of the dealership to hear. The lady informs me that I have to schedule another appointment. I ask if I am going to get charged a certain amount per day and she says yes. I told her I live 1hr and 15mins away from the dealership and I will not have a ride for the next time as my relative is already upset for waiting for so long. She says I will have to find my way home. I ask how should I get home, I have done everything VW has asked and now why am I the one inconvenienced? She said she doesn't know how I am supposed to get home. She was very rude and condescending on the phone. I asked her if I can talk to someone else and she says "I am it" I told her I did not know that she was the CEO of VW. She says I am not the CEO. I asked well someone has to be higher than her if she is not the CEO. She says there is no one else and everyone is going to give me the same answer, so I asked if she was the CEO and she said no. I said if you are not, then someone else should talk to me. She said there is no one else and to make an appointment online. I said glad we had this talk and that was it.
So, I just logged on to the claims portal and the next closest appointment is April 4!!!! There is also no where for me to switch to an electronic transfer. I call the hotline again. I get the same lady from the first time today. After putting me on hold for 14mins, she comes back and says it has been changed to electronic funds. I asked am I going to get confirmation of this, she says well it work. I go, I need confirmation. She said it will go thru. I said, so if I log into the portal in 3 days, that it should show that? She said well it should. I go well that is the only way to know for sure. I also asked if I can get an earlier appointment and she informed me that she does not have access to the calendar and to call the dealership. I called the dealership yesterday to confirm my appointment and they said that I would have to call VW claims, because they do not have any involvement with that.
Do these settlement people actually care if we buy another VW? Have they ever heard of customer service? I immediately left there and tried out the new Hyundai sonata's and Honda accords. This is ridiculous! They just lost a customer who will buy a new car every 4 to 5 years. :mad:

GearHd6

TDI
2014 Jetta Premium 6 Speed
You really needed to follow this forum a little closer, its been known for months now that the EFT option is the best. Lots of people have had to reschedule for that exact reason.

And I totally agree about losing customers through this fiasco. We had full intentions to buy another VW once we did the buyback. They soured us so bad throughout this process that we jumped the VW ship and bought another brand.

hntwhitetail

TDI
You really needed to follow this forum a little closer, its been known for months now that the EFT option is the best. Lots of people have had to reschedule for that exact reason.

And I totally agree about losing customers through this fiasco. We had full intentions to buy another VW once we did the buyback. They soured us so bad throughout this process that we jumped the VW ship and bought another brand.
I've watched it awhile. I am always leery about giving my bank account number out to a large business that has the potential to be caught up in a data breach. I mean, if they will manipulate computers to fool the government, what else could be up their sleeve? Not saying it would happen, but always leery about giving any account # out.

They lost a customer today. I had my relative looking @ the new Passat's in the showroom, I really liked them. I just felt they jerked my chain today. The amount was so miniscule, that I offered to give them a $100 bill and to keep the change so I would have to find another ride, but they could not do that.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
It's not fair to tell someone they need to read an enthusiast internet forum to figure out the VW has flipped the script with respect to over mileage cars and check payment. The original settlement language said if a car was over, a new check would be generated for the lower buyback amount and mailed to the owner.

It's easy for those of us on the forum regularly to say "told you so," but I can only imagine how incensed I'd be if I were in White Tail's position, that far from a dealer, only mode of transport, etc.

On the other hand, if I were that dealership, and it went down as described, I like to think I'd have attempted to put him in a car, somehow take his buyback as retainer, defer payment for a couple months, and keep this ball rolling. And all this headache over $100 difference in payment? Daaang...

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
It's not fair to tell someone they need to read an enthusiast internet forum to figure out the VW has flipped the script with respect to over mileage cars and check payment. The original settlement language said if a car was over, a new check would be generated for the lower buyback amount and mailed to the owner.

It's easy for those of us on the forum regularly to say "told you so," but I can only imagine how incensed I'd be if I were in White Tail's position, that far from a dealer, only mode of transport, etc.

On the other hand, if I were that dealership, and it went down as described, I like to think I'd have attempted to put him in a car, somehow take his buyback as retainer, defer payment for a couple months, and keep this ball rolling. And all this headache over $100 difference in payment? Daaang...
When I was at a Mazda dealer today what you suggested is exactly what they did. We came to an agreement: they would find a Mazda 3 with the color and options that I wanted and I would come sign papers next Wednesday. They would put me in a zero interest loan and defer payments for up to three months since my buyback is march 20th and I had an existing loan. I then went by VW to see if they could slide me in earlier if someone else answered. There was zero enthusiasm on their part and thus zero on mine to consider a gas burning golf instead.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I am always leery about giving my bank account number out to a large business that has the potential to be caught up in a data breach.
Well, first, you give your account number to anyone you write a check to, and to anyone whose check you deposit into your own bank account. Second, you don't give VW that information anyway; you give it to Chase. Third, if you're concerned about a data breach, you could always open a separate account for the buyback funds to go to. And if you'd chosen that option, you'd have your money by Tuesday.

VW does warn you that if your mileage is too high, and you've chosen to be paid by check, you'll have to reschedule your appointment. What they don't tell you (and should, and easily could) is what the threshold is.

Edit: You should check with class counsel, though (info@vwclasscounsel.com), because VW isn't following the requirements of the settlements. The settlement documents require, in cases like yours, that VW proceed with the buyback and mail you a check within 3 days. But they've been saying, since they started buying back the cars, that they'd do what they're doing in your case. I don't know why class counsel is letting them get away with it, but (IMO) they shouldn't.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Hate to be the bearer of bad news - but you ( hntwhitetail ) are yet another case of causing your own troubles by wanting to do it your way instead of reading what's been happening. The stories aren't telling us anything new and they are getting old. Yes - the buyback agent SHOULD have taken your car , and VW SHOULD be sending you a new check - but for whatever reason -VW is not doing what was specified in the settlement.

FWIW - the buyback agents probably are NOT VW employees - they don't have any reason to make things easier.

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Why not just buy the new Passat when you were there and finance it, then when you receive your check in the mail you could have applied it to the balance of the loan. That seems like it would have been pretty painless

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
That's the one aspect of this post where I differ with White Tail -- I don't believe I could ever bring myself to walk into a dealership and basically state, "I intend to buy a car," and then actually buy a car, without having worked the deal beforehand. I'd feel like a sitting duck.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
That's the one aspect of this post where I differ with White Tail -- I don't believe I could ever bring myself to walk into a dealership and basically state, "I intend to buy a car," and then actually buy a car, without having worked the deal beforehand. I'd feel like a sitting duck.
I've done it twice over the last 17 years and will do it again in 2 weeks when I complete my buy-back. I have faith and trust my dealer.

nick1994

TDI
2013 VW Beetle TDI - 52k
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

Why did you not have a ride back home? You have a TDI. Why couldn't it have taken you back home?

Why didn't you just buy a Passat and drive it home if that's what you wanted?

Why didn't you just pull up the claims portal on your phone instead of screwing around talking to the VW claims portal idiots? That would have been resolved within 1-2 minutes.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
Why not just buy the new Passat when you were there and finance it, then when you receive your check in the mail you could have applied it to the balance of the loan. That seems like it would have been pretty painless
Except in the aspect it would make a big difference in payment amount.

Everyones finances are their own thing - I for one am not in a position to go buy a car and then just make a jumbo payment. I would have to refinance it.

I would love someone to do me a favor and do an interest free loan deferred and then rewrite it at purchase. My ex destroyed my credit and it just won't happen without that down.

While I agree the OP made things hard - he obviously has his reasons.

And transportation wise - it is a big thing that my appointment is now 90 miles away instead of 9. Fingers crossed everything works out - because it won't take much to muck it up for me.

ETA: And, this is where the "heart" of the process fails. It doesn't take into consideration that not everyone that is "having" to make these decision is in the financial spot to easily replace the vehicle on the VW timeline. I'm trying to schedule mine between my boyfriends travel schedule so it won't leave me without a car for more than a day. I live in an area that while i now have public transit, it actually doesn't help me go anywhere I would need to go. I waited to submit my paperwork until after the new year thinking the process would have gotten over the initial bottleneck. Alas, i'm with with appointments out into late March - May. MAY. So it doesn't matter what works for me, and what I planned - the process itself is indeed a multiple month long case of heartburn.

I have found 3 cars i'd love to go test drive today and put a deposit on.... but can't. I'm not comfy doing squat until I have the money in the bank.

The realities of the process is probably no where how it sounded in the courtroom. UGH.

Last edited:

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
So many options here. Rental or loaner car, drive the car back home and reschedule with ETF next time, drive a new car home that was financed or purchased with a credit card deposit, lease a new car -sign and drive.

If you were planning on dropping off your buyback and returning in a new car, did you need a ride to come with you? You didn't do the appropriate ground work before leaving home that day.

Walking into a dealership and saying I want to drive home in a new car today not knowing what one should be paying for the car will never work out in the buyer's favor.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Walking into a dealership and saying I want to drive home in a new car today not knowing what one should be paying for the car will never work out in the buyer's favor.
OMG

Personally, I do not even visit the dealership (in person) before I buy.

Just make the deal over the phone (and Email) ~~ then have it delivered to my driveway.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've done it twice over the last 17 years and will do it again in 2 weeks when I complete my buy-back. I have faith and trust my dealer.

Floor salesman (and saleswomen) need to made a living. You are feeding their family. :) ~~ good for you

However the Internet managers need a living too.

The same day you buy your car, it is likely someone will by a (similar) car for hundreds, or even thousands of dollars less.

GearHd6

TDI

Ahh, in this case, yes it is fair. I checked his post count prior to posting my comment and saw it wasn't his first post so he's been here before and most likely following these threads.
And his reasoning has zero traction, if he ever pays with a check he's at risk, if he ever pays with a debit card he's at risk, if he ever pays a bill online he's at risk, the world is no longer data safe.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh, in this case, yes it is fair. I checked his post count prior to posting my comment and saw it wasn't his first post so he's been here before and most likely following these threads.
And his reasoning has zero traction, if he ever pays with a check he's at risk, if he ever pays with a debit card he's at risk, if he ever pays a bill online he's at risk, the world is no longer data safe.
What are you talking about? He hasn't been active since 2014.

And regardless, the original settlement language described the over-mileage scenario very differently than how it's playing out.

Yes, the buyback page on the portal warns that over-mileage vehicles might be rescheduled, but good luck figuring out what your cap is. VW could very easily provide that maximum mileage on the portal and allow for an online entry or telephone call for anyone going over, to update their info and reschedule beforehand.

GearHd6

TDI
And he just happened to land here to tell us about his fiasco? I think not. You can easily browse without being active. And go back and read post 3 in this thread, he clearly states he's been watching this site.

Either way, live and learn hopefully.

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
And regardless, the original settlement language described the over-mileage scenario very differently than how it's playing out.
Yes, the buyback page on the portal warns that over-mileage vehicles might be rescheduled, but good luck figuring out what your cap is. VW could very easily provide that maximum mileage on the portal and allow for an online entry or telephone call for anyone going over, to update their info and reschedule beforehand.

You don't have to be on an enthusiast forum to figure this out. I got all of my details reading the court documents and website that was provided by VW. If I could think of any gray areas or questions without answers I read through the documentation, AGAIN.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
My buyback agent told me that he worked for VW of America directly....
Yes and no. They do not work for the dealership. They work for VWOA. However, they are not employees of VWOA. They are contractors.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
So many options here. Rental or loaner car, drive the car back home and reschedule with ETF next time, drive a new car home that was financed or purchased with a credit card deposit, lease a new car -sign and drive.
I'll be in South FL on Saturday, may I borrow your credit card to put my car purchase on your card please??? ;) My buyback is the 9th.

People can live in places they can't return rentals, and don't have the option to do any of the other things. He mentioned a long drive to the dealership - very valid in a lot of areas. Heck, I didn't have a dealer closer then 45 minutes away until a couple of years ago. It was strange to me after having lived in CA.

The OP screwed up, but none of us online can presume to know his circumstances to beat him up.

The simple fact seems to be VW is screwing up in a variety of ways to court customer retention. I've had nicer folks trying to get my business than I have had at the dealership I bought my car at.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>

The simple fact seems to be VW is screwing up in a variety of ways to court customer retention.

I've had nicer folks trying to get my business than I have had at the dealership I bought my car at.
That dealer is just putting him (her) self out of the running for your new car purchase.

Money will talks. But you have to make it talk for you Shop hard ~~ Shop many dealers

IMO ~~ it is way better to buy non local

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
That dealer is just putting him (her) self out of the running for your new car purchase.

Money will talks. But you have to make it talk for you Shop hard ~~ Shop many dealers

IMO ~~ it is way better to buy non local
Well, that dealer also owns the local, and closest to me:

Hyundai, Nissan, Mazda, Kia, Acura dealers. And probably more that I haven't encountered.

SOOO, that takes a big chunk of what i'm looking at off THEIR table beyond the VW thing. I'm willing to drive - i'll even end up in CA if I have too (family friends own a myriad of dealerships - including VW), and I am used to a set amount over sticker, so this bargaining crap really annoys me! LOL

hntwhitetail

TDI
Thanks for all of the replies. After Friday, I am still waiting for confirmation from VW that I will be getting a EFT and not a check. I just called today, the lady that I spoke w/ said it has been changed. She still says there is no way for me to get confirmation. I just logged into my account and it still says the same buyback amount from December 15, so that would have to change w/ the added miles I typed in for when I rescheduled my appointment. I would just like to know that I will have an EFT transfer.

I am also not going to buy a new car until I have the funds in hand. I am not currently in the position to go ahead and buy something else, without first making sure this car is gone and having funds for the down payment. If the dealer would have offered to work w/ me, such as taking the car from me, putting what I would receive from VW and them taking care of the rest of the paperwork as in getting the money from the settlement, I would have been all for it. They did not make an effort. I was there to trade the car back in and purchase a Passat that I have been doing research on. I have sold many items over the years and when you have someone in your store, you make sure that you do everything you can to sell your item before they leave, because you never know if/when they will come back.
I am not the one inconveniencing VW, they are inconveniencing me for lying to/manipulating the government. They are not driving to my house 1hr and 15mins away w/ a tow truck and picking up my vehicle. They are not the one sending and resubmitting documents, we are. I just feel they are being lazy and doing the least amount of work possible on their end that is required of them. When I call the VW line, I am talked down to like I am some kind of idiot or looking for a handout. I know that I probably failed by not selecting a EFT, but no where in the settlement did that say I would have to make another appointment that is 56days out to try and get this situation taken care of that I did not bring on myself.

Last edited:

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
I know that I probably failed by not selecting a EFT, but no where in the settlement did that say I would have to make another appointment that is 56days out to try and get this situation taken care of that I did not bring on myself.
I'm still siding with you on this, but because of this thread I did go back to look for the change to refusal for over-mileage.

It's written in plain language in one of the July documents that you'll have to reschedule, but it wasn't highlighted as a change (originally they said a check would be reissued and mailed).

Any mention is conspicuously absent from the offer letter, which seems like an obvious place to inset this potential tripping point. But it is stated right at the top of the closing checklist that's on the portal page after you schedule your appointment. A lot of good it does, since there's no reference mileage provided to know what not to exceed prior to the appointment.

Anyhow, good luck to you. Thanks for keeping the thread updated. Hopefully you can get your appointment bumped up.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
hntwhitetail,

Keep in mind that VW is forbidden by the agreement from any action that would imply that the buyback was contingent on the purchase of a VW vehicle. Given that prohibition, I can understand a dealer being hesitant to link a purchase too closely with the buyback. To someone scrutinizing the records from arms length, that might create an appearance of impropriety on their part.