My >$200 ebay FMIC kit installed

Adoublevv

TDI
Jetta
Just get the right bit to drill in the crash bar and I'll show u the rest bro.Just get the piping that is included. Get the lower intercooler kit from idparts or a cheaper custom made one that can weld aluminum ( just the pancake pipe). U need to get a bigger intake TIP and manifold too if u are using 17/22.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
As Adoublev says the piping kit is standard. Check out this page:
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CXR&Category_Code=ICDK250

Maybe email them and ask for the cooler you want with the kit.

As Adoublev says you also want at a minimum the PD150 intake manifold and hose shown in the 6th pic of my first post. Otherwise you will restrict the air passage at the end.

Glad Adoublev is going to assist you. That's what the forum should be more about.

Moyerboy

TDI
IDK New here its a 03
Ok with me being a newbie to these cars is there a big diff in power and fuel economy and is there any welding for sensors in the kit or just bolt on and go?

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Only useful Power difference/Fuel economy difference after medium to upper level fueling mods and tuning. FMIC does not provide any power, power is from fueling. But on a crisp sunny, cool, dry day, you can feel the engine has a special kick to it, due to FMIC.

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
its a $200 ebay kit plus your time and supplies. I find it miss leading when people post about getting it done for $200. Its like saying my house cost me $90,000 to build in materials. Ye right, how much did you put into it?

Time is always the biggest factor in anything custom. Suppliers is and materials are after that.

I think your into at least over $500 by the time you count your time and supplies like welding.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I wasn't even remotely close to $500 into mine.. MAYBE $350 and that's including buying a second intercooler after a run-in with a tree stump... I didn't use a welder at all since I don't have the equipment to weld thin aluminum.. Does $7 for a few sawzall blades and maybe a few dollars on my electric bill count?

Those same intercooler kits are closer to $125 now so they can be done even cheaper..

Last I heard, nobody pays themselves labor to work on their own car so that doesn't count.. I didn't spend any time that I would otherwise be making money with, so there was $0 spent on my part for labor time..

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
well, thats just a way of thinking. Some people rather go to work. Its not for everyone.

I just find it misleading. $200 ebay kit, Its 100% more then $200. You are buying the parts for $200 plus shipping. The title should say, $200 in parts plus shipping, and 10 to 15 hours of work, and a crap load of trimming the bumpers. You said in the other thread you had a 3 inch end tanks. I can just imagine how much trimming that was. I spend 7 hours trimming bumpers for 2.5 inch end tanks to make it look nice.

I would like to see some pictures under the bonnet. Without welding you must of used a crap load of couplers.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually when I put >$200 at the time, I meant to say it is slightly more than the $200 kit used by Jason. Sometimes we can get so focused on the price that for a few $ more we forget we may be able to get something substantially better if we spend the price delta. In this case the 2.5" IC from cxracing seemed to be quite solid in build quality compared to the one that came with the ebay kit, which I had seen blown out in some cases. The cxracing is holding up really well now couple of years.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ye, you did go with the ride side manifold. I do see you made a tig weld, so thats at least $15 in gas, electricity LOL.
Stock is right side manifold.. Left side is what I have.. Joe's car has a right side PD150 manifold.. There are pictures of his in my thread too..

I do not own a tig welder... That's the race pipe I made from steel. Regular 220v mig welder.. took 5 minutes.. the Argon gas is CHEAP... the tank costs me $80 to fill and I have to fill it almost 2X/year... I probably used a few cents of Argon, and less then 1Kw/Hr (13 cents on my electric bill)... The $40 roll of mig wire lasts me over a year..

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'm not aware of any FMIC kits avalable for under $800 or so, and they still need labor to install.

I have $350 in mine, and I have a CRXRacing Intercooler and ebay pipe kit.

Fact is the ebay kits are avalable for >$200 and he did install one, so the thread title is 100% accurate.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
stock is left, if you look from the front... it is right if your looking from passenger seat.
LEFT=Driver's side, RIGHT=Passenger's side in automotive terminology in North America.. Doesn't matter how you look at it, or where you're sitting.. Go order a left side headlight or left side ANYTHING for a car in NA and you'll get a driver's side part..

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not aware of any FMIC kits avalable for under $800 or so, and they still need labor to install.

I have $350 in mine, and I have a CRXRacing Intercooler and ebay pipe kit.

Fact is the ebay kits are avalable for >$200 and he did install one, so the thread title is 100% accurate.

If you're paying a shop to install the <$200 kit, you should probably spend the extra money on a "direct fit" kit and install it yourself if you have the ability since the amount of labor will most likely offset the cost of an expensive kit..

On the other hand.. I had a customer bring me an older Eurojet FMIC kit that took more time to install than the time I have into mine... It just didn't fit right. Had to trim a lot of things when it was supposed to fit like stock.. I think the newer kits fit better but I haven't tried..

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None

Nickmix

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI
Guys, so is this all I need?

--Intercooler kit: $229 + shipping
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...ct_Code=IC0036-KIT225-EB&Category_Code=ICDK36

Turns out quite expensinve...if there are better options, could you post links please? Thanks

I bought that same intercooler kit from cxracing on ebay for $180.00 with free shipping. That was a couple of months ago. I have not installed it yet. Also I will be using a pancake pipe from a 1.8T. It cost me $45.00. Just those two things will save you quite a bit of money.

skinnyjoe

TDI
03 jetta
So I'm in the works of doing one myself, and have question in regard of the map sensor. Can I use my stock one or do I need to upgrade? Any input would be appreciated as I am still collecting for this project, in hopes of having everything in front of me once I start.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The stock one will work fine with a stage 1 tune or stock tune. You want to upgrade to a 3 bar map for anything higher. DO NOT Put the 3 bar map on until AFTER you get the tune - or you will be overboosting.

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Can't seem to find the proper intercooler kit on ebay from cxracing. Would you mind helping me finding the proper stuff please? I found the actual intercooler, but not the kit....have the purchase the piping separately. I would do that but I am not sure which pipe kit I need to get.

I bought that same intercooler kit from cxracing on ebay for $180.00 with free shipping. That was a couple of months ago. I have not installed it yet. Also I will be using a pancake pipe from a 1.8T. It cost me $45.00. Just those two things will save you quite a bit of money.

Nickmix

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI
Can't seem to find the proper intercooler kit on ebay from cxracing. Would you mind helping me finding the proper stuff please? I found the actual intercooler, but not the kit....have the purchase the piping separately. I would do that but I am not sure which pipe kit I need to get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-27...Parts_Accessories&hash=item518f314292&vxp=mtr

This is what I bought. I have not mounted it yet so I cant say anything as far as ease of installation. I forgot that it was $190.00, I ended up paying $180.00 due to using some ebay bucks i had. I thought about buying an intercooler and piping kit separately but it was easier just to buy the one kit. It does seem to be of good quality. All the piping was polished as described and had no dings. I just wish it had two 90 degree pipes instead of the two 75 degree ones, but I am sure I can make it work and bend the pipes a little if I have to.

Last edited:

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Thanks for the links...don't know why it is that I couldn't find those...However, I was looking for 27"x6"x2.5" size. Looks like I know what I need...just need to go ahead and order that stuff and put it on. Thanks for your help guys.

p.s. one last question... would it be a lot more work to mount a 28"x7"x2.5" instead of 27"x6"x2.5" ?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
There are some advantages to having a bit of oil going through the intercooler because it shows you if there are any tiny leaks in the system when it sweats oil. I found this leak which actually is more due to the intercooler outlet having a slightly narrower diameter, but there are these heavy duty clamps available here which I used to replace the ebay clamps. They are actually so strong I have to be careful how tight I makes them.

2nd clamp looks a bit crooked but pipe is a bit tilted.