My '03 2D Golf 5 speed

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf

This is my '03 Golf and is as you can see a two door. It has a five speed manual transmission. It has 111,972 miles on it at time of this photo. It needs a timing belt change bad! I know that it is recommended to be changed at 100k. The previous owner didn't show it a lot of love it seems. I plan to give it some TLC and get it in top notch shape. I am not well versed in the maintenance/repair of these cars but I have always been fairly mechanically skilled and am willing to learn. I would like to get to know my car in and out, know every nut, bolt and how to keep it happy. I appreciate any feedback, advice, help, suggestions, statements, GTG invitations and teaching. I know I'm in the right place here at the tdiclub, and my Golf thanks you in advance.

-Brian
P.S. When I got it the previous owner said that the engine light had come on and they took it to their mech. who replaced a GP and the light went off. It came back on again and they took it back and he replaced another. The light had gone off but has since come back on intermittently. The last owner said their mechanic told them that if the engine light came back on soon that it was probably the Glow Plug Harness. I have no idea if that is the problem or if its something else. I will probably end up getting VAG COM at some point so I can diagnose these issues myself. What are some issues that can throw a engine code?

Last edited:

RobbieTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 GOLF TDI 5sp, '01 Jetta TDI 5sp, '05.5 Jetta TDI DSG
sounds like the gp harness to me. i had the same problem on my '03.

Get that TB done! if you need help ive got the tools have have done it 3 times now.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
TB Change

I really need help replacing my TB. I have the know how and have watched the tutorial on how to do it but I don't have the tools to get er done the car that is. Anyone? I'm in San Luis Obispo County in California. Any VW GTGs or clubs in SLO that I should check out?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Not too many folks peruse this particular forum. You'd probably do better starting a post in the West Coast forum:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

There are plenty of folks who do TB jobs at GTG's (get-togethers), but heavy-duty stuff like that I'm always leery of doing major work at a GTG. Too many possible distractions, even though there is a lot of free expertise there. But you could make a post and see if there is anyone with the TB tools in the area that you could borrow from.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Alright. Thanks Frug! Good ideas... RobbieTDI said that he would help me out with the TB Change but I PM him and he has not got back to me.