Multiple fuel pump failures

J Adams

TDI
VW 2015 Jetta TDI 2.0
car wouldn’t start at store. Had an ECM code I thought was from low battery. Took to local garage said it was fuel pump. Replaced .. still didn’t start they claimed it was hpfp. That’s under extended warranty so I took to VW. They claimed the pumps installed was no good. Bosch OE. Removed and had them install Delphi pump that advance traded me for. Dealer claims this pump is doing the same thing when they bleed it. Dropping to 4 psi.. dealer is claiming I need a third pump .. an oem Bosch.. my Bosch pump was apparently not any pump capable of pumping fuel. I’m already $800 deep in this issue. I know it’s not the pump any insite what it could be. No codes present.. just loses pressure when bled to 4 psi with every pump so far.

J Adams

TDI
VW 2015 Jetta TDI 2.0
car wouldn’t start at store. Had an ECM code I thought was from low battery. Took to local garage said it was fuel pump. Replaced .. still didn’t start they claimed it was hpfp. That’s under extended warranty so I took to VW. They claimed the pumps installed was no good. Bosch OE. Removed and had them install Delphi pump that advance traded me for. Dealer claims this pump is doing the same thing when they bleed it. Dropping to 4 psi.. dealer is claiming I need a third pump .. an oem Bosch.. my Bosch pump was apparently not any pump capable of pumping fuel. I’m already $800 deep in this issue. I know it’s not the pump any insite what it could be. No codes present.. just loses pressure when bled to 4 psi with every pump so far.
2015 JEtta TDI just hit 100k

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
I hear Delphi pump, sounds like that is the lift pump inside the fuel tank. This would deliver fuel to the HPFP in the engine bay and as far as I know is Bosch and Bosch only. To quote an old post of mine, my tank lift pump has been replaced (under warranty). "Diag on their end indicated lift pump was providing 4.2 bar, under the 4.6 bar spec. Replaced w/ new lift pump and tested at 4.8 bar."

Quoting your post: "4 psi", did they mean 4 bar (~58psi)? If your Bosch HPFP is not working, then yes you would end up with a figure around there. The HPFP when working will produce over 30,000psi (what google tells me) Are you still under the diesel gate warranty? If so, all of this should be under warranty, in tank lift pump and the hpfp. You could even possibly submit invoice of the first bill to VWoA and at their mercy, I guess they could chose to reimburse that cost, don't know your odds of success on that one. The Bosch High pressure fuel pump will be expensive, no matter what it takes try and get VWoA to cover that.

They should check the fuel filter located in the engine bay, as well as the fuel metering valve. If metal glitter flakes are found, the HPFP will need to be replaced as well as injectors and a bucket list of other items. The fuel filter in the engine bay is a 20,000mi service interval item. If not changed, it could end badly.

Golf for reference (same engine):

J Adams

TDI
VW 2015 Jetta TDI 2.0
Dealers claiming it’s the lift pump only and the two I supplied won’t work.. only an oem?? They say the pressure drops after install