muffler delete

peteyfalz

TDI
2002 mk4 jetta alh
recently deleted muffler, planning on cat delete too, looking to get that turbo whistle going, any tips?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You could do the Swiss cheese mod on the air box. Absolutely zero performance changes. Lot noisier though. Could also have the exhaust come out of the hood, that'd make it loud enough. These cars weren't known for having powerstroke/Cummins levels of noisy turbos.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I've read that deleting the cat makes for more turbo sound than deleting a muffler ... deleting both would make for the most turbo sound

Intake wise , I have read that an open cone air filter may allow for more turbo sound as well ... BUT the disadvantage to this is the engine breathing in warm / hot air , often times the cone filter has LESS filter area than a factory air filter (possibly more restriction because of this) , and if you use an oiled filter , the oil could kill the MAF sensor.

For sound, the exhaust system is the best and fastest way to MORE sound AND MORE performance (less back pressure).... of course cat deletes may be frowned on by EPA.

Personally I like the sound of a catless / mufflerless system BUT it may cause drone at certain speeds ... if that happens you could add a resonator if it is too bad for you.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Biggest thing to avoid drone is you need a 45-90° output and it has to extend past the end of the bumper. Learned that the fun way.

peteyfalz

TDI
2002 mk4 jetta alh
You could do the Swiss cheese mod on the air box. Absolutely zero performance changes. Lot noisier though. Could also have the exhaust come out of the hood, that'd make it loud enough. These cars weren't known for having powerstroke/Cummins levels of noisy turbos.
i know they arent loud like that but i just love the turbo whistle

peteyfalz

TDI
2002 mk4 jetta alh
I've read that deleting the cat makes for more turbo sound than deleting a muffler ... deleting both would make for the most turbo sound

Intake wise , I have read that an open cone air filter may allow for more turbo sound as well ... BUT the disadvantage to this is the engine breathing in warm / hot air , often times the cone filter has LESS filter area than a factory air filter (possibly more restriction because of this) , and if you use an oiled filter , the oil could kill the MAF sensor.

For sound, the exhaust system is the best and fastest way to MORE sound AND MORE performance (less back pressure).... of course cat deletes may be frowned on by EPA.

Personally I like the sound of a catless / mufflerless system BUT it may cause drone at certain speeds ... if that happens you could add a resonator if it is too bad for you.
thank you for feedback