MPG issues - ECT sensor, wobbly engine, more stuff...

cprboyle

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, GLS 1.9L
Hi, so, I'm new to all this, but learning.

Right about the time I confirmed that my MPG is not what it should be (<30mpg), my engine threw a code P0117, which I guess is a coolant temperature sensor. Reading online, they said symptoms include poor performance at low temperatures, hard starting, and poor mpg -- check, check, check. I also recently replaced the lift pump and the fuel filter, and when I did that, I noticed that my engine sure shakes around in there when its running. I found a video that suggests I get into the cylinder head and clean the injector wire contacts in case that helps correct any misfires. I also heard that maybe I should clean the EGR valve and maybe the MAS as well. Also, I have a new air filter coming just for good measure (I just bought this car used -- it came with a scanguage).

My questions are: 1.) Any advice for replacing the ECT sensor? I found a video, it looks messy. But I'm up for it. 2.) Any other advice for what else I should check for regarding poor MPG? Or do you think this all might fix it? Any other advice for a rough-running engine (it gets much much smoother when its warm)?

Thanks!

cprboyle

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, GLS 1.9L
Thanks @JB05. That's the silver thing that says Bosch on, it to the right of the cylinder head (standing by the bumper), right? With the engine cool I wiped around it with a rag and smelled it, and didn't find a fuel smell. Is there a better way to check, or do you think that's sufficient?