MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I do not know much yet about what engine or nomenclature is assigned to a 2015 VW Golf Sportswagon and where it resides on the above Chart. the SEL designation is on the advertisement of the two I am currently looking a…
The AllTrack in the above chart is a Sportwagen, but with 4WD (and slightly beefier springs). You can compensate for the springs with "helper" air bag in the springs....more mention of that and lots more in this thread here.

Here's another web page that someone put together that shows slightly different numbers (not sure where he pulled his info from), but in short - you're well within range with what you plan to tow.

Kalevi1Poeg

TDI
2015 Golf SE Manual TDI Mk7 Silk Blue, 20th Anniversary GTI Jazz Blue
Coming up on 200k miles - have tracked all fill-ups on Fuelly.
Average has been 48.3mpg over 192k. Have even got 2 or 3 - 700mi tanks.

The last couple fill-ups have had DPF cycle on every 100mi rather than the normal 300mi. Is the DPF due for replacement? - any other possible culprits? Thanks for any info on this.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
How do you know when the regens are occurring? Are you driving around with Vagcom connected?

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Can tell when the rpm at idle rises to 1000 rpm (usually at 700-800 rpm) and also when the mpg drop. Regen is about 10-15min.
Okay, I can kind of do that. When I driving steady speed on highway I can figure it's doing it when the instant MPG drops. I wish they did a simple regen light like some diesels.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
I use a dpf android app and a $12 elm127 blutooth connector. Can't get into hardcore Ross tech coding, but presents ash,soot, pre and post temps, % full, etc etc
Will check that out. My mileage has been consistently lower for awhile and have been wondering if that's a factor.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
VAG DPF app for a few bucks, a decent BT OBD unit, and a cheap used android phone will allow you to more closely monitor DPF status and regens. If regens are getting closer in frequency by mileage, it usually means the system needs attention (could be a variety of issues). I cannot tell when a regen is in effect via instantaneous MPG, as that measurement is too twitchy.

Kalevi1Poeg

TDI
2015 Golf SE Manual TDI Mk7 Silk Blue, 20th Anniversary GTI Jazz Blue
Yeah - the 'variety of issues' for the increased DPF regens could get expensive trying to hunt down the culprit. No engine light yet.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Coming up on 200k miles - have tracked all fill-ups on Fuelly.
Average has been 48.3mpg over 192k. Have even got 2 or 3 - 700mi tanks.

The last couple fill-ups have had DPF cycle on every 100mi rather than the normal 300mi. Is the DPF due for replacement? - any other possible culprits? Thanks for any info on this.
The only other culprit I can think of is city driving. Mine regens at around 125 miles if all city driving but close to 300 miles with highway driving. Also if for some reason your egts are going high the idle will speed up, and on mine it speeds up when running AC.

hip001

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL dsg
My 2015 TDI SEL dsg. Last 3 tanks 48mpg hand calculated. Computer said as high as 59mpg. Just installed a kerma tune and dsg tune. LOVE them both!!! Driving to Florida on the 22nd, so I'll have a couple more tanks to report mpg on. Also installed Solo Werks coilovers which I set 2" lower. The car rides great(except for speed bumps)!

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
The tank may hold 14.5 gallons, but it seems impossible to fill it to capacity. Is it easier if the nozzle restrictor is removed?

I’m on my first “full” tank and will calculate mpg from actual mileage and amount of fuel pumped.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The tank may hold 14.5 gallons, but it seems impossible to fill it to capacity. Is it easier if the nozzle restrictor is removed?

I’m on my first “full” tank and will calculate mpg from actual mileage and amount of fuel pumped.
13.2 gals.

Easier to see fuel level rising, yes. Faster filling, no.

Last edited:

hip001

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL dsg
Two tanks of fuel to and from Florida. 49mpg hand calculated mostly 65-70 mph(computer was at 59mpg, it LIES!!). Filled up at 530 miles with 1/4 tank remaining. Could of been my 1st 600 mile tank.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Two tanks of fuel to and from Florida. 49mpg hand calculated mostly 65-70 mph(computer was at 59mpg, it LIES!!). Filled up at 530 miles with 1/4 tank remaining. Could of been my 1st 600 mile tank.
Good FE! The trip MPG computer can be easily re-calibrated so it matches real world.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Kerma tuned?

BΞΝ

TDI
Golf mk7 tdi
So I been on the mid range mags with the 2015 golf, hand calculated is 37.1mpg I have slightly wider tires and a roof rack that might be affecting the fuel efficiency.

Doing the kerma tune as I'm writing (75% done) hoping it will help on that area.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Last tank my GSW go 47.1. First tank with 15" wheels and new Nokian Entyres. Mostly highway, but a fair amount of it at 80 MPH. I'm pleased.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Last tank my GSW go 47.1. First tank with 15" wheels and new Nokian Entyres. Mostly highway, but a fair amount of it at 80 MPH. I'm pleased.
I'm running the stock 15" wheels as well with Energy Saver Tires. I think it makes a pretty big difference. My fuel economy isn't far off my MK4 with a 6-speed.

BΞΝ

TDI
Golf mk7 tdi
Ok so after kerma tune got me barely to 38.7 I had a heavy foot testing the tune so I will say and hope I can get it a least on the 40s

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just took this a few min ago. I doubt this will turn into a 700 mile tank, but it looks like it's possible.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Should be possible, not sure if you've adjusted your MPG readout? If it's still optimistic that may make the range optimistic too. Although you can't vent the MK7 it's still possible to stuff a little extra fuel in with some patience. In the summer I find 700 miles is pretty doable but that's driving about 70 mph indicated.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Actually trying to use this car more this year. Pulled it out of the IDParts warehouse, and I've been driving it at least once a week.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Just took this a few min ago. I doubt this will turn into a 700 mile tank, but it looks like it's possible.
Top half of my tank, my car is almost always predicting the possibility of a 1000km (621mi) tank; the bottom "half" of the tank is much smaller than the top half, though, so it never materializes.

With that said, if the risks to running the car to out-of-fuel stall weren't so dire, it'd be interesting to see how far one can go past "0 miles to empty".

On my Mk4 gas ---> TDI swap, I initially had the gasser's tank in there, and after finding a TDI tank, ran that tank probably 20km past "0 to empty". When I pulled that tank out, I expected *maybe* 1L of fuel to be left in the tank, but it was actually pretty much bang-on 5L still - good for a little over 100km.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I ran mine down to 0 miles to empty once. I think it still had about a gallon left in the tank.

My son recently ran his TDI out of fuel, and I was trying to remember if I've ever run out of fuel. I don't think I have. But I do run my cars pretty low before refilling. I once put 16.9 gallons in IBW.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I once put 16.9 gallons in IBW.
Yeah, I've had a couple of 17.3 gal. tanks in my Mk4. The Mk7's smaller tank is one of the biggest disappointments IMO.

I would love to add additional vents to the multiple high points of the top of the Mk7 tank to eliminate the several air pockets up there to gain another gallon or so of useable capacity. If I could bring it up from 13.2 to 14.5 gals. I'd be thrilled.

Last edited: