MPG Display

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
With that said, now that I think about it though, the next super-common size up is 16mm - which is the same as ⅝". So maybe.... 🤔
Might just depend what you're working on, but I think I see a lot more 15mm than 16mm.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
but I think I see a lot more 15mm than 16mm.
Just going off the top of my head...
16mm: Engine/transmission mounts, rear upper and lower shock mounts, sway bar end links, heat shield over inner CV boot, most of the transmission-to-engine bolts...
15mm: Counterhold rear brake caliper bolt(?). Honestly can't think of anything beyond that off the top of my head, but I know I have used it; but seriously - I could lose the socket and have to get by strictly with a 15mm box/open end wrench and it wouldn't have a meaningful impact on any job I commonly do on the cars.

13mm by far the most common of the stuff I commonly work on, as attested to by the fact that I've lost three 13mm sockets out of various sets 🤦‍♂️ (and none of anything else).

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Don't forget the super-common 10mm, a nice round figure in metric and 'Murican--3/8". Plus that's the socket that's always walking off.....

I see more 15mm on my Ford and old Chevy than my VW.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Just going off the top of my head...
16mm: Engine/transmission mounts, rear upper and lower shock mounts, sway bar end links, heat shield over inner CV boot, most of the transmission-to-engine bolts...
15mm: Counterhold rear brake caliper bolt(?). Honestly can't think of anything beyond that off the top of my head, but I know I have used it; but seriously - I could lose the socket and have to get by strictly with a 15mm box/open end wrench and it wouldn't have a meaningful impact on any job I commonly do on the cars.

13mm by far the most common of the stuff I commonly work on, as attested to by the fact that I've lost three 13mm sockets out of various sets 🤦‍♂️ (and none of anything else).
Ah you're right, there is a lot more 16mm on the VW, I was lumping all my vehicles together in a group and like Zak said, lots more 15mm on my North American stuff.

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf Tdi manual transmission. Wife's car a 2014 toured v6 Tdi
I always assumed that it was just that it's the "right size", not about appealing to a common imperial measure. 12mm was too small; 14mm too large - 13mm is the Goldilocks size. :)
With that said, now that I think about it though, the next super-common size up is 16mm - which is the same as ⅝". So maybe.... 🤔

But then that theory falls apart because the next common size up from that (apart from lugs) is 18mm (not 19mm = ¾").
24 = 15/16

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
OT
My observation over the years gradually driving all domestic to all import vehicles is the imports use less sizes. Also seem be slightly smaller fasteners.
The US attempted to go metric recently in the early 70s, again in the 90s. In today's world it only makes sense to use a single standard system. Someday.................... maybe

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Don't forget the super-common 10mm, a nice round figure in metric and 'Murican--3/8". Plus that's the socket that's always walking off.....

3/8ths is more like 9.5mm, won't fit a 10 until it's rusty then the 3/8ths becomes a hero lol

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - that's my experience with ⅜" as well - more like 3.5/8ths = 10mm (but 7/16th still isn't a great fit either).

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yeah - that's my experience with ⅜" as well - more like 3.5/8ths = 10mm (but 7/16th still isn't a great fit either).

That's the one for rusty 12mm bolts on Jap cars lol

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I always assumed that it was just that it's the "right size", not about appealing to a common imperial measure. 12mm was too small; 14mm too large - 13mm is the Goldilocks size. :)

But then that theory falls apart because the next common size up from that (apart from lugs) is 18mm (not 19mm = ¾").
OK, here are the numbers;
13 mm is 0.51181102 inches
I have used larger American sizes on metric nuts & bolts before I had the proper metric sizes.