MPG - 2013 Passat TDI vs. 2017 Passat TSI

Hwycruiser

TDI
For those who are interested I have tracked every fillup that I have made with my cars. It is a very accurate assessment of the real world difference between a diesel and gas car. The cars are almost identical because I turned in my TDI Passat and got a gasser in same model. The cars were driven over the same terrain by the same drivers in similar trips. The time period is over a year so all seasons were experienced. The gas TSI was purchased new vs. the TDI was already broken in, but I did not see much of a change in mpg with the TSI. The results-

2013 Passat SE TDI avg mpg- 37.5

2017 Passat SE TSI avg mpg- 30.5

Although the gas Passat gets excellent fuel economy and performance with the 1.8T engine. The diesel Passat did get 23% better mpg which is significant.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
For those who are interested I have tracked every fillup that I have made with my cars. It is a very accurate assessment of the real world difference between a diesel and gas car. The cars are almost identical because I turned in my TDI Passat and got a gasser in same model. The cars were driven over the same terrain by the same drivers in similar trips. The time period is over a year so all seasons were experienced. The gas TSI was purchased new vs. the TDI was already broken in, but I did not see much of a change in mpg with the TSI. The results-
2013 Passat SE TDI avg mpg- 37.5
2017 Passat SE TSI avg mpg- 30.5
Although the gas Passat gets excellent fuel economy and performance with the 1.8T engine. The diesel Passat did get 23% better mpg which is significant.
Good data, thank you. I hope you have good longevity with your TSI. That would be my only concern, that the 1.8T might have some of the longer term issues that have beset its 2.0 predecessor. (Oil consumption, timing/chain issues, water pumps, etc). On the other hand, the Diesel engine emissions systems contribute their share of ownership woes.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I recently traded a 2017 Passat SEL with the 1.8 TSI motor. Most boring car I have ever owned. I averaged 30.5 to 31mpg over 10,000 miles mixed city/highway/rural.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thank you for sharing your results OP. Very rare to get extended, accurate and equivalent FE results! Can you describe your typical driving? Based on your handle and location I'd say the majority of miles were at ~90mph? ;)

Added cost of diesel alone vs RUG negates mpg advantage. Thanks for the data.
Do they recommend 87 for the 1.8 TSI?

Last edited:

Hwycruiser

TDI
The miles were mixed, but we live in a semi rural area so all of our trips are at least six miles one way. We do travel frequently to big cities with traffic. I have the data on pdf charts but don’t know how to post it. The TDI mpg range was 32-42, and the TSI mpg range was 24-37. The TSI first tank was 21, but consider that break in mpg.