Moving back to the lower 48, curious about Canada diesel...

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I know we have some Canadian friends here in the forums, so maybe they can shine some more light than the rest...

I'm moving back to Missouri from Alaska starting this coming weekend, and I'm considering bringing about 15 gallons of Diesel with me through Canada on the Alcan. I'm not so much worried about running out of fuel as I am about switching to Canadian fuel on the same fuel filter I have been running US diesel on... What I was considering doing, is dumping 5 gallons of US diesel in with every ~10 gallons of Canadian diesel to dilute the additives from the Canadian diesel that may clog up the fuel filter.

The question is... Is it necessary, even in the slightest, to do this? With all of the HPFP issues around, I'd rather not end up with a nuked HPFP while in Canada because the fuel filter clogged and starved the HPFP of fuel...

Thanks in advance!

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
All I run is the normal #2 diesel found everywhere. Never had an issue with my Mk4 (PD Jetta).

So far, I've never had any issues with any of the canadian stations for diesel - tons of TDIs in northern Saskatchewan and I always see plenty of TDIs where ever I drive.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
All I run is the normal #2 diesel found everywhere. Never had an issue with my Mk4 (PD Jetta).

So far, I've never had any issues with any of the canadian stations for diesel - tons of TDIs in northern Saskatchewan and I always see plenty of TDIs where ever I drive.
But that's on Canadian-fuel-only TDI's... I'm more worried about the transition from US diesel to Canadian diesel, and what effect (if any) it will have on the fuel filter / HPFP.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
That said - even when I went for a trip last year through ND, MI, WI, PA, NY - I didn't have problems with US Diesel in the Canadian TDI.

How much different is the HPFP in Canadian vs US TDIs? I can't see them totally changing the base components for North America market TDIs - other than MPH v. KPH

I haven't gone looking but unless the part numbers are different - I would venture to say they aren't.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
The HPFP is not different in Canada. Your fuel is different, and usually better.

Jared, I wouldn't worry about the differences in fuel to be honest. I would just drive.

Skatch_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Confortline, Gun Metal Grey,Tech Package and DSG, Previous was 2012 Platinum Grey Jetta 6MT, 138500km
I have not heard of any HPFP failures out here.

If you are worried you can always add a fuel lubricant.

But I could be wrong.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Diesel is Diesel................. I live North of the Border, but when we are in WA, we fill up with Diesel there and I find no difference....
Those TDI's run and run.

Bigwhitebeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I wish I could get about 1000 gallons of Canadian diesel to run my car on, something just tells me it is better than ours. My 2001 Dodge Cummins with the infamous VP-44 injection pump started life in Canada and then ran on fuel from Irving fuel (canadian) for the first 5 years of it's life. I had a tuner box on it since 25k miles and when I got rid of the truck a few weeks ago it had 176k miles and the pump was still running strong. I seriously think it was the break in on the Canadian fuel.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
Since the US fuel is about 30% cheaper to buy maybe you should but I think that is the only reason. When I travel south of the border the only thing I do different is run an additive for the US winter fuel and never had any problems coming back either after I spent 5 months in the US. I think most cnd fuel has 5% bio which is only enough to add some lubrication.
Have a good trip!

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Made it through Canada early this morning, zero issues along the way., Also went without taking any extra fuel with me - No issues on finding fuel. DWML!

Thanks guys!

Schmingie

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
This is crap - we have way higher standards on fuel and you want to dilute our fuel additives.

Good on you and good luck - same reason I add fuel additives when I hit the US of A.

I think we are all delusioned.

Nothing wrong with Canadian fuel - suck it up Yankee :)

S.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Just carry a spare filter and don't worry about it. It takes up less space than the extra fuel.

Bill
I've wondered about this, after seeing it mentioned a few times. I thought you needed a vag-com to prime the filter, and thus a clean filter isn't much use in a dead-on-the-side-of-the-road failure mode.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Made it through Canada early this morning, zero issues along the way., Also went without taking any extra fuel with me - No issues on finding fuel. DWML!

Thanks guys!
DRIVE WORRY, MORE LESS!!!! :p

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I've wondered about this, after seeing it mentioned a few times. I thought you needed a vag-com to prime the filter, and thus a clean filter isn't much use in a dead-on-the-side-of-the-road failure mode.
I drive a BRM (2006 Jetta) and it will prime without using VCDS. That being said, I don't go on a major trip without taking VCDS with me. I run it on a Macbook Pro under Parallels.

I can easily change my fuel filter in 15 minutes on the side of the road, without hurrying.

Bill

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Nothing wrong with Canadian fuel - suck it up Yankee :)

S.
Canadian diesel is better than US diesel! I've said that for some time now. ;-)

I have a VAG-COM cable that I brought with me, and both my laptop and netbook run VCDS... But yes, on the CR, priming via VCDS is required.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2.