Monster Mat Life Span?

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I just turned 10,200 miles on my car. The protection package was built into the car, which is what I wanted since MN winters are hard on equipment and the heavy Monster Mats are what I would have bought anyway. Where my heels rest is starting to wear. I am over 50% through the rubber...I drive it 98% of the time, do not wear heals or pumps :p and do not drag my feet. How long do you normally get out of a mat? When I had that jacked up service on Monday I asked about the mat and the parts guy said I have to buy the whole kit...I only need the driver's.

With the way the floor is laid out any normal mat does not fit right. What have you life-long VW owners figured out that I don't know? I have a cheap set from Wal-Mart that has been in 4 trucks for over 80,000 miles and they are fine...I wish they would fit in the Jetta...

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Does the protection package come with Monster Mats or the other rubber mats that are available from VW? I have had Monster Mats in a lot of my many VWs and never encountered an issue.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I am on my second set of Monster Mats on my Passat. The mats are over-rated IMHO. My next set will be from a different vendor. Mine has 55k.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Did you ask the dealer about any coverage?

It sounds like your wear is much lower than anyone would expect. Keep us posted. They certainly do not give those things away!:eek:

letterman52

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking for one now
I've had a set of the monster mats in all my cars and never experienced any of the wear you are talking about. Kind of odd. Then again anything over time especially a soft rubber is going to wear down. Do you wear work boots allot?

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
Hmm, I got my monster matts (OEM) from ebay for $60 2 years and 35K miles ago.. still in perfect condition

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I do like those Weathertech mats, but I like the deep slots in the Monster Mats and previous mats as it holds the slush away from my pants. I do wear work boots 90% of the time. I work in an office but do not like dress shoes (new job may require them though) and only wear running shoes when going to the gym. The only liquids that get on my shoes is from the stuff around a diesel pump. Perhaps my mat was made with a bad batch of China rubber...I may try a warrany claim if it wears a hole before OCT, which is the 12 month mark of ownership.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
MM suck. Mine lasted 6 months on average. Stay away from MM. Euro rubber mats are better and they are sold separate front and rear.

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
I got a little over one year on mine before the ribs were worn through. The ribs are basically hollow so that meant that water and slush could leak down to the carpet. The dealer would not replace them since they were over one year old. He did call the regional manager but no luck. Never again for me.

I am thinking about trying to do a repair using black silicone sealer. Has anyone tried that and did it work?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I really like the mats and would buy them again, even with my wear issue. They are perfect for the weather up here.

brentc133

TDI
2009 Jetta
I have weathertechs in my truck and was thinking about them for the jetta. Are they easy to lift out of the jetta to dump out without spilling water inside? I got the monster mats with the deal, but would prefer the better protection from the weathertechs.

PaxTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG; 2006 Jetta TDI DSG
My MM look like new in the back seat (no one ever sits there); the driver's side wore a hole through next to a[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']celerator [/font]pedel in 15mos.:mad:

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
Weathertech is the way to go. I have them, no wear at all over 34000 miles. You can dump out melted snow, etc without any spills but I've never had so much that it leaked over the edges.

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
Are the weathertech mats a custom fit? Do they utilize the locking clamp unit to help secure them?

TDI
2004 golf
nutdriver said:
I got a little over one year on mine before the ribs were worn through. The ribs are basically hollow so that meant that water and slush could leak down to the carpet. The dealer would not replace them since they were over one year old. He did call the regional manager but no luck. Never again for me.

I am thinking about trying to do a repair using black silicone sealer. Has anyone tried that and did it work?
Didnt work man... my drivers MM was starting to come apart at 100k. Now im at 200k and the ribs are seperated many places. I used some real good permatex black weatherstripping silicone adhesive, and it didnt work real good... came apart eventually. Im sure theres SOMETHING out there to make it sealed again...

jayson9

Veteran Member
TDI
For those that are interested and in extreme wet weather climates, try Carbox (very similiar to Husky Liners). They are a little pricey, but they come in all interior colors (including black), are made for the entire Jetta floor area (including trunk), and trap the water/ice/snow very good. I plan on buying a set once my Monsters die.. Had Carbox in my '06 TDI, the carpet under them looked brand new! I think they even make them for the JSW......

Here is a link you might try:
http://mats4less.com/volkswagen-jetta-carbox-floor-liners.html

Did not show '09s, but you might give them a call.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
TwoTone said:
Heres what you want
http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvproduct.aspx?ItemGroupId=52&VehId=673&Year=2009&VehOptChoiceIds=694

The monster mats that came with the Explorer NBX did the same thing.
I like the looks of the WeatherTech DigialFit mats, but when I drilled down to my application ('06 Jetta) they are available for a auto tranny model only :(

I have worn a hole in my OEM mats directly below my clutch pedal. I took some heavy vinyl runner and duck taped it underneath the mat while I look for replacements.

SMUG SLUG

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Sportwagen, 03 Jetta Wagon
weathertechs rule the school

sohccammer427 said:
I like the looks of the WeatherTech DigialFit mats, but when I drilled down to my application ('06 Jetta) they are available for a auto tranny model only :(
I noticed this when I went to order mats for my GF's New Beetle so I called WeatherTech to inquire about the auto only. The customer service rep. stated that the mats may fit the manual trans but the mat could pose a hazard by getting caught in the clutch pedal.

I have the WeatherTechs in my '06 manual and I have not had any problems and would 100% recommend them to anyone over the monster mats....... I am really hard on my interior and the monster mats are pussy compared to the weathertechs.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
SMUG SLUG said:
I have the WeatherTechs in my '06 manual and I have not had any problems
Thanks slug... So you saying that you are not having any pedal clearance issues? Then I will probably wind up getting the WeatherTech DirectFits. They really look nice!

I would go to the dealer and look at a '06 automatic just to see if there is any difference in the floor layout, but I can't go near that place without them attempting to sell me on a '09 TDi:D

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
sohccammer427 said:
Thanks slug... So you saying that you are not having any pedal clearance issues? Then I will probably wind up getting the WeatherTech DirectFits. They really look nice!

I would go to the dealer and look at a '06 automatic just to see if there is any difference in the floor layout, but I can't go near that place without them attempting to sell me on a '09 TDi:D
I think it's simply a liability issue. Looking at the mat, you see the lip all the way around to hold the liquids. I guess if you pushed the clutch pedal all the way to the floor you might possibly get the pedal caught on that lip.

SMUG SLUG

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Sportwagen, 03 Jetta Wagon
Get 'em

sohccammer427 said:
Thanks slug... So you saying that you are not having any pedal clearance issues?
that's what i am saying................ 100% smug slug endorsed

sohccammer427 said:
I thank god everyday that the JSW are hard to come by...............

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I think I will end up making one of my own. I like the deep gutters that hold the water, snow, dirt and such AWAY from my pants. The brands listed above are durable and keep stuff off the carpet...but I also worry about my clothes. I wear my pants like a normal guy, but dress pants with the cuff hang a bit lower.

garyhim

TDI
06-Jetta-5M
Monster Mats are CRAP! Wore a hole through in first year on driver side. I got a replacement set of heavy duty universal mats from Costco for $20. and cut out size for driver replacement. Left other MM which are fine.

Himbay
06- TDI,5M, Pak II, 91K, Best VW ever for this old man