Moisture in taillight

LLeonhard

TDI
Golf 2012
Hey folks I noticed yesterday that I had condensation in my right taillight. Upon closer look it turned out that some washer fluid had gotten in there. I assume it's my from the rear window washer nozzle however I still have no clue how it got in there. Anywho got the taillight out today and was able to get it almost all out. Still a tiny bit left but couldn't get the rest out. Was wondering if anyone else had issues with this ? I've had the car for three years without ever having this issue, neither any issue with regular rain water.

Is there a hose back there where the taillight is that moves washer fluid to the rear washer nozzle? I'm not going to use my rear nozzle for a while just to avoid it if that is what's causing it, however seems like a mystery as the screw to get the tail light open is very tight.

Thx

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Just in the off chance....

On the Mk4's, there was a weird issue known as 'coolant migration.' People were finding engine coolant in their taillights! How? If the coolant reservoir was full-ish and covering the low-coolant sensor, coolant would actually go into the sensor wire harness, and would travel the whole length of the car and wind up in a taillight!

I'd be 'lightning strikes twice' if this is happening to 2012's, but check the wire harnesses going to the bulbs, and look/feel for moisture.

Taillights are welded (plastic vibration-welded) shut -- the lens to the housing -- so the only point of access should be the bulb housing opening.

By the way, I assume you're talking about the taillight that's in the hatch, correct? Not the body-mounted taillights?

LLeonhard

TDI
Golf 2012
Nope this is the body mounted one, rear right one. I didn't notice any liquids in the housing, itself where the light is however I did see a drop of washer fluid on the screw. I'll keep an eye on it.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
I had this on my new car had about 100kms, the seal on the taillight wasn't installed properly from factory change the taillight under warranty

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
There is small hair line crack. My 10 had the same problem.

Tinman265

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen Sunroof/Nav Platnium Grey Metallic, Titan Black Interior, 6 speed manual. Took the buyback 1-6-17 - Loan payoff 1-17-17
Both my tail light were replaced due to corrosion...... Strange