Mobil 1 T&SUV oil analysis

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
In case anyone's interested, I have the results of my first 10k miles on Mobil 1 T&SUV. Everyone said it's repackaged Delvac 1 which is all I previously used and I have several previous sets of analyses from my car using D1. I now have 100k miles on the clock.

visc100 - 14.7
water - 0
soot - 1.3
fuel - 0
glycol - 0
Fe - 47
Cr - 1
Pb - 2
Cu - 6
Al - 4
Ni - 0
Mn - 0
Si - 2
B - 0
Na - 1
Mg - 0
Ca - 0
Ba - 0
P - 0
Zn - 0
Mo - 2
Ti - 0
V - 0
K - 0
Oxid - 7
Nitr - 3.9
TBN - 6.3

These are virtually the same numbers I consistently got with D1 in 4 samplings from 20k miles to 50k miles when I stopped running analyses. The only thing different was the TBN value. In the D1 reports, it would always come back in the 10-12 range. But those tests were run by Oil Analyzers, Inc. and this test was run by Oil Guard. I know the test method is different and likely accounts for the different result... I think it's likely that the above result is more accurate and indicative of a real TBN value after 4 qts of oil have been run for 10k miles in a TDI.

Guess I'll keep using M1/T&SUV as long as WalMart keeps stocking it.

Mel

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Mel, it looks good ! The variation in TBN readings could be the difference between labs....that's entirely possible.

Someone reported yesterday that this fine oil is now available at Wallyworld in big jugs (5 qts. for $24).

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Mel, do you have the other results readily available? It would be interesting and worthwhile to see if the additive pkg is the same for both oils.

thx.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
according to this synthetic oil life study, blackstone lab's tbn analysis method changed, although i do not know the details.

"Total base number is a moving target. There are multiple methods for testing it, which makes comparisons between laboratories worthless, and none of the methods have repeatability rates worth getting excited about. While TBN is worth considering as part of the larger picture, as a singular measure it is too flawed to rely on"

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
Mel, do you have the other results readily available? It would be interesting and worthwhile to see if the additive pkg is the same for both oils.

thx.
They're home... I'll try to post this evening. But I did have them out last evening for comparison and the numbers were virtually the same except, as I indicated, for the TBN.

Mel

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
My understanding is that for a TDI with 100k on the ODO an Iron wear rate of 4.7ppm / 1000 miles (47 ppm per 10k) is on the high end. I've heard the acceptable range for TDIs is 2-5ppm / 1000 miles but I have no documentation to verify this. Since 4.7 ppm is within the "acceptable range" it's probably not a big deal but it's close to the upper limit.

Is your car chipped and / or do you drive it particularly hard?

Here's a link to 42 TDI UOAs from BITOG

I'm not sure what, if any, corrective action may be warranted or possible - maybe one of the TDIclub's many mechanic superheros could chime in here.

All else being equal, if you have access to biodiesel it may help and / or you could try a 505.01 oil.