mobil 1 0w40

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
yesterday in wal-mart i check out the auto secton on oil.they had one of the papers their that tells the clearks how to fix the oil displays and it looks as mobil 1 atf is gone ( none on the display ) and no mobil 1 0w40 on the paper ( only two quarts on the shelf ) and nothing on the paper about mobil 1 turbo diesel 5w40. you cant count on wal-mart to carry any thing that we need. :mad:

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
i searched like 3 stores today for mobil 1 5-40 and got nuthin. bumpkiss. came home pissed and started drinking.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Check your local NAPA or Autozone-they should have it or be able to get it(at least they can here in NY)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I was in WallySmart a couple of weeks ago. They had quite a bit of it.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Wally's I've checked here in WNY don't even have a shelf tag for the Mobil 1 0w-40.Only synthetic diesel oil they have is Rotella.Also-most of them have jacked up price around $4 for the jug of white Powerservice-now almost $16.However, I was @ a supercenter and they hadn't changed price yet-$11.28 for the jug-may buy couple more before they raise it.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
ScorpionBoy said:
so, is everyone running 0-40 instead of 5-40 now?
I went to NAPA, they looked up "Mobil 5w40" in their computer, and found several hundred quarts in the Los Angeles warehouse. Now I have 30 quarts of the discontinued 5w40 Truck & SUV.

Forget about AutoZone -- their employees all over the country have been calling the Mobil 1 hotline (1-800-ASK-Mobil) to get the part number. With that part number they are able to confirm that AutoZone is not yet carrying M1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck.

Mobil 0w40 shouldn't be that hard to find.

To find Delvac 1 5w40, ask at truck parts stores or truck stops.

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
i saw you post about that in another thread. thanks for following up.

should i use 5-40, should i use 0-40 (seems like that might be better in the winter). i am such a novice when it comes to these engines.

JettaDan

TDI
2003, Jetta Wagon, Black GLS
I have enough Mobil 1 Delvac 5w-40 for one more oil change on my 2003 jetta. I have started to see some VW drivers are using Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro-Formula on this club site. I have not seen or herd about this 0W-40 Euro oil.

My question is, should I stay with Delvac (can get it at a local oil distributor) or switch to this new oil from Mobil 1?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Dan, it's not new...it's been around for years. Get whatever is easiest to obtain for your 2003 car.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Car Quest

TornadoRed said:
I went to NAPA, they looked up "Mobil 5w40" in their computer, and found several hundred quarts in the Los Angeles warehouse. Now I have 30 quarts of the discontinued 5w40 Truck & SUV.

Forget about AutoZone -- their employees all over the country have been calling the Mobil 1 hotline (1-800-ASK-Mobil) to get the part number. With that part number they are able to confirm that AutoZone is not yet carrying M1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck.

Mobil 0w40 shouldn't be that hard to find.

To find Delvac 1 5w40, ask at truck parts stores or truck stops.
Don't know if you have any Car Quest Auto parts stores in your area, but mine carries the Mobil Delvac 1. My Wal-mart carries Rotella T Fully Synthetic also.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Lefty said:
Don't know if you have any Car Quest Auto parts stores in your area, but mine carries the Mobil Delvac 1.
I do have one nearby, but for some reason I have ignored it and never been inside. I will check it out.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
5 gallon container

TornadoRed said:
I do have one nearby, but for some reason I have ignored it and never been inside. I will check it out.
Don't forget to ask if they have it in the 5 gallon container. A place here by me sells the Mobil Delvac 1 in Gallon and 5 gallon containers. The cost of 1 gallon is about $26 the 5 gallon is $105. Savings of $25 in the larger size.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CarQuest has Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck in their computer, and in stock in their Bakersfield warehouse. About $6.50/quart.

MParker, I am reminded of a line used by Senator Phil Gramm, Republican from Texas, when he was running for president in 1976. I think he was seeking an endorsement from the NRA. He said, "I've got more guns than I need, but not as many as I want."

During the last year, that has become my attitude towards motor oil. I have more than I need, but not as much as I want.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
TornadoRed said:
MParker, I am reminded of a line used by Senator Phil Gramm, Republican from Texas, when he was running for president in 1976. I think he was seeking an endorsement from the NRA. He said, "I've got more guns than I need, but not as many as I want."

During the last year, that has become my attitude towards motor oil. I have more than I need, but not as much as I want.
the folks in the GC forum on bitog would be proud of you. :)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mparker326 said:
the folks in the GC forum on bitog would be proud of you. :)
They have their addiction, I have mine.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
That's too much!

TornadoRed said:
CarQuest has Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck in their computer, and in stock in their Bakersfield warehouse. About $6.50/quart.
I learned that on the Price Is Right!

The place I found it near me is a POST office/Gas Station/Food Store. He also sells Farm Supplies as in Fencing, Water tanks and Metal Roofing. He carries all the different oils for the farmers around here. Might check out a farm supply company for a better price.

It is called Master Petroleum. Perhaps a Petroleum dealer is in your area. Since you live on the East side of the Mountains, try out by Henderson where farm supplies are sold.

bmetal

TDI
2000 Jetta 5sp sedan
Why you guys would go to wal-mart for anything is way beyond my comprehension. "Wal-Mart, wal-mart sucks"

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
ScorpionBoy said:
should i use 5-40, should i use 0-40 (seems like that might be better in the winter). i am such a novice when it comes to these engines.
If you have diesel truck the 5w-40 is good.
If you have a VW passenger car diesel then the 0w-40 is certified by VW for use in a pre-PD diesel. VW 505.00

Autozone also carries the 5w-40 Castrol VW 505.00 certified

Bigger Walmarts carry the 0w-40. All AZs' carry it.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
bmetal said:
Why you guys would go to wal-mart for anything is way beyond my comprehension. "Wal-Mart, wal-mart sucks"
Last I knew, this is a Free Country !!

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
the 0w-40 is carried by Mercedes-Benz dealers. While prices vary, I was able to purchase a couple of cases for just under $5 a quart at Carraige House Mercedes-Benz in New London, CT about 9 months ago. If I still had my Jetta I would use the 5w-40 "Delvac 1" type. I would always go at least 10,000 mile OCI's and the oil would come back fine after analysis. Just plain good oil.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
slfranke said:
i went into walmart today and it had tons of truck and suv (SW Wisconsin)
And I bet it was all 5w30, with the "For Gasoline Engines Only" warning on the front label.

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
yeah, all i saw was 5-30 TSUV at wallys.

i got some mobile 1 0-40 at pep boys and put that in.