MkIV Jetta - detached fabric behind dome lights - how to fix?

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
A bit embarrassed to be asking this, but here goes. There is a small, separate section of headliner just behind the dome light in my old (aka my girlfriend's new) Jetta. Lately, possibly in part due to hot weather, it's come unglued. See pics below.

My question is, is there a simple way to reattach this, or does the fabric need to be replaced? And in either case, what tools, glue, fabric, etc. would be needed?

Obviously this is unsightly, unsuitable and a road hazard.

If it's visible in the rear view, it's obstructing the rear view. Not cool.

The three possibilities we've been considering:

1. Just remove it. Off-white plastic and grey liner isn't terribly offensive. Not what I'd prefer in the long run, though. I'm too much of a perfectionist.

2. Glue that piece of fabric back in place. The problem is, as can be seen, that fabric is translucently thin. I can't imagine a glue that wouldn't bleed through that.

3. Replace the piece entirely. The problem here is trying to match the color, although anything that doesn't scream "obvious hack job" would, I suppose, work.

Ideas?

desertpir8

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
My headliner is coming down as well in my mk4 Jetta. This is apparently a very common problem with these cars. Mine doesnt have this seperate section though, instead the entire roof headliner is falling. I'm planning on pulling it all out eventually and redoing it with new headliner material or maybe even suede from a fabric supply place.

Ironhands

TDI
1999 beetle
glue

There is a spray-on glue for headliners, I can't remember the name of it, but any auto supply store should be able to hook you up. 3M makes one. So does Wurth.

Sundance

TDI
2002 Jetta
I've used 3M 38808 headliner/fabric spray adhesive with good success. Most auto parts stores have it. You spray both surfaces, dry to a tac, and press in place.

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
That's just a small panel that covers the emergency sunroof crank / opening mechanism.

Pop off the panel, stretch the fabric around the back, glue in place on back sides (not front!) with superglue or whatever, then snap the cover back in place.

Optionally, you can get that piece replaced. Dunno about costs, but bring your VIN to any VW dealer and they'll look it up (in the correct color) for you.

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
This is apparently a very common problem with these cars.
No, I wouldn't say it's common. Maybe in hotter climates but I've never seen a MK4 jetta with headliner peeling up here.

What's considered "Very" common? Sunroof leaks :eek: in Seattle anyway...

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I see it near sharper curves on headliners. It bothers me the most on the door panels arm rests though.

I sell those panels used sometimes. Often they are buggered up from folks removing the panel for some reason like fixing the light switch spring. If the dealer is too much you might try ebay.

I've never had luck glueing headliners. There are worse ones though. IIR GM used a bunch with a little bit of foam between fabric and backing and no matter how you try and glue nothing sticks to that degenerated foam.