MKIV Jetta ABS Issues

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Scanned with car with VCDS and got this:

1 Fault Found:
00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

Tried to clear it several times and it comes right back immediately. I get wheel speed from the other 3, but not from the left rear in VCDS. I removed the sensor first, cleaned it and the tone ring and installed it with no change. I then installed a new sensor and still had the same issue. I put my multimeter on both sensors (and another one here that was used) and they are all 1.1k-1.2k Ohms.

I then removed the wheel liner and inspected the wiring and it all visually looks good. I pulled the boot back to inspect by the clip and saw no damage there. Car is a southern car with no rust or corrosion on the sensor contacts. Nothing has been replaced recently on the rear either.

Seems like the next step is to check the wiring, is there another place that tends to have issues? Is there an individual fuse for these?

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I'm with you there, just trying to see if there is a common failure area on these. Wiring has never been my strong point. For now I am going to start bu pulling the rear seat and try to work my way forward.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I'm with you there, just trying to see if there is a common failure area on these. Wiring has never been my strong point. For now I am going to start bu pulling the rear seat and try to work my way forward.

I strongly suggest you don’t Waste your time pull in the backseats out. I’m willing to bet your abs wheel sensors are bad or rings are damaged.
Sensors are cheap and Relatively easy to replace, I had similar issues with my 01 Tdi and Solve the issue by just replacing them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I tried 3 different sensors with no change. It wasn't the sensor like usual. I also inspected the ring and it was fine. Wire was damaged behind the seat so I spliced in a new one just now and it looks to be fixed.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
A chewed up cable on my RF ABS caused similar problems. So, yes, check the ABS cables.