Mk7 vs Mk6 Seats

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Hey All,

I'm considering purchased a MK7 Golf TDI, and was wondering how the seats in the Mk7 compare to the Mk6 from any owners that have experienced both. I previously had a 2013 golf TDI S, and the seats in that would hurt after about 1hr of driving, and was wondering if the seats in the MK7, or maybe an SEL model were better for longer hauls... Any feedback would be appreciated. I did a quick search and didn't see anything specific....

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
As one who gets grossly uncomfortable in many car seats, one of main reasons for me going to the Highline (SEL in USA) trim in my Mk7 GSW was for the seats.
Simply no comparison between those and what's available in the Trendline and Comfortline (S and SE, respectively).

Much more adjustability with angle and tilt of bottom cushion, some lumbar support, and vastly superior thigh and side bolsters.

Take a look at the photos and you'll see the difference.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
As one who gets grossly uncomfortable in many car seats, one of main reasons for me going to the Highline (SEL in USA) trim in my Mk7 GSW was for the seats.
Simply no comparison between those and what's available in the Trendline and Comfortline (S and SE, respectively).

Much more adjustability with angle and tilt of bottom cushion, some lumbar support, and vastly superior thigh and side bolsters.
... and for you lucky Canadians, real leather in the Highline rather than pleather in the SEL.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One consideration if you are significantly broad in the lower/mid torso: SEL seats might be tight enough between the side bolsters that your back isn't fully in contact with the seatback. S/SE seats are definitely wider between the less aggressive side bolsters, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about them.

If you're only finding S/SE models in your search, you're not stuck with inferior seats; used SEL seats are an easy plug and play swap. That's what I did.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Thank you both. That's more or less what I considered for the SEL seats. I just didn't have any confirmation on it. I had been going back and forth between mk7 golf vs gsw. I think I'm just go try to locate a mk7 gsw SEL manual. Wish me luck.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I got used GTI seats and installed in replacement of the base model seats. Much better. The Mk6 seats were perfect for me, the standard / base Mk7 seats I found awfully uncomfortable.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - I similarly find the GTI seats to be very comfortable (good bolstering and adjustability) but available in a cloth covering instead of leather (some people dislike leather.....or pleather?! I had no idea the US top-trim didn't come with actual leather-leather.)

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had no idea the US top-trim didn't come with actual leather-leather.)
I believe you also got beige interiors in the Highlines (which I think you have?) which we didn't get. I wanted an SEL but had to settle for an SE just so I could get a beige interior.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh yeah - I actually saw my dream car on a lot: Silk Blue Highline with beige ("cornsilk") leather interior *AND* manual transmission.
Something like this:

Dealer was asking $1000 under MSRP on a car with 60K km, though - and this was in 2017...way before used car prices went stupid.

So now I'm in grey car with black interior (for which I paid literally half that price (under $18K CAD) ...freeing up funds to do fun and silly retrofits. :D)

Last edited:

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
I can confirm that the seats in my 2015 GSW TDI S are as uncomfortable as the ones in my 2011 JSW S. Maybe even worse, or maybe my piriformis syndrome is just worse, one or the other. I've pondered a seat swap.