Mk7 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

karkesarke

TDI
GOLF
hey, maybe can help me.
Have a crafter 2020 years
have heated steering wheel from mk7 golf.
without climatronic but with seat heating.
its possible connect steering wheel heat from original bottom from crafter?(add photo)
multimedia MIB1

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
We don't have the crafter over here. But I would expect you need to change the clock spring just as we do... assuming that is done?

There will then be some wiring to that button. I'll have to dig for wiring diagrams unless you have them and can post some screen grabs.

MIB 2 became available late available in 2015... are you sure your 2020 has MIB 1? I don't think it will matter for heated steering wheel either way, just curious.

karkesarke

TDI
GOLF
We don't have the crafter over here. But I would expect you need to change the clock spring just as we do... assuming that is done?

There will then be some wiring to that button. I'll have to dig for wiring diagrams unless you have them and can post some screen grabs.

MIB 2 became available late available in 2015... are you sure your 2020 has MIB 1? I don't think it will matter for heated steering wheel either way, just curious.
My old clock spring is 5Q1 953 569. I have new clock spring 5Q1 953 569B i have all wiring system from another car with steering wheel heating.
Old bottom without steering wheel heat and new its same cable and same pins inside the bottom, add photo old bottom.

now im connect new bottom to the car but when i press steering wheel heat bottom is nothing happened.
Maybe when i change clock spring bottom start working?
add multimedia photo from internet its same as me

search in obd eleven cooding steering wheel heat and found only in HVAC module :)

karkesarke

TDI
GOLF
Search my clock spring old and new wiring

I need just 1 or 2 wires connect to fuse box positive and negative.
I think its same all systems as golf mk7

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
You are correct, heated steering wheel coding is in HVAC module. There will also be coding of Infotainment Module (5F) I think.

The two additional wires for the 569B (Pin 1 and Pin 8) are the power ground and for steering wheel heat so you are also correct that it will not work until those wires are added.

karkesarke

TDI
GOLF
You are correct, heated steering wheel coding is in HVAC module. There will also be coding of Infotainment Module (5F) I think.

The two additional wires for the 569B (Pin 1 and Pin 8) are the power ground and for steering wheel heat so you are also correct that it will not work until those wires are added.
Thanks.try do this :)

karkesarke

TDI
GOLF

And steering wheel heating work from mib display or with bottom?

karkesarke

TDI
GOLF
Im try today change from 5Q1 953 569 original clock spring to 5Q1 953 569 G and steering wheel heater work from mib screen everything is okay but with new clock spring doesn't work acctive cruise control and have foult from engine controle module.lost communications with steering control module

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Update: I didn't document my swap to a Mk8 steering wheel with the capacitive ("touch") controls, but I did that not too long after getting my heated SW up and running. That required going to a new (Mk8) gateway - which requires some ODIS magic which I farm out to friends in far-off places (Finland in this case). I liked the look and touch buttons are the new "newness", so why not - oh so cool!

Fast-forward to March 2024, and you know what....as much as I was open-minded about the touch controls, I just never got used to them; literally every simple things from adjusting follow distance to volume to FFWD/REW had me looking down at my fingers just to make sure I was in the right place. And when I didn't....I invariably missed what my brain-finger connection was aiming for.

Soooo.....tl;dr:

The "too long" section:
I figured all I really needed was the bezel and push-buttons, right? Found a seller in Latvia - $120 shipped to me in Canada. Awesome!

Arrives in a couple weeks, but when I go to install it on my existing wheel, the "locking" pins on the bezel don't align with the holes in the steering wheel. And as you can tell from the two photos above, there's a cut-out for the volume and "channel" buttons on the lower part of the button arrays such that there's no way the capacitive button bezel will work with those physical buttons.

So much for that. 🤬

But now (granted, this is part of my pathology) I have it in my head that I "need" those physical buttons, so I keep trolling eBay and eventually find a full steering wheel, with heat, WITH the physical buttons (seems like a somewhat rare combo due to heat being a seemingly high-trim feature, while push-buttons are not). Somewhat rough shape with a few little nicks and abrasions, but... all the "new"-new ones are like $500+, I ask my wallet to go to the well for me one more time and I order up the steering wheel - $250 shipped.

Once it arrives, it installs just fine, but then I decide, you know what - I want that brand new bezel and brand new buttons I'd previously purchased on this wheel, so I pull off the bezel/buttons and go to install the shiny new ones and.....they don't fit.....in the same way that bezel doesn't fit into my original touch-button steering wheel.

Soooo.....off comes that slightly used/abused steering wheel, on goes my original touch-button steering wheel (still in pristine condition, and with the perforated leather at 9 and 3), and the bezel / push buttons from the used / abused steering wheel.

I did try to swap just the buttons from NEW to USED bezel, and while they fit, the connector from my airbag to the steering wheel is six-pin, while the those NEW buttons have a five-pin connector.

There's one quick tell (best I could find) to tell if your bezel will fit - or at least to distinguish between the two bezels without actually test-fitting:
On the backside of the bezel, near the base, where the removable logo plate sits....right about here:

The pin there on my original touch wheel's bezel and the USED one I purchased, that is almost parallel with a slot for the removable logo plate/insert (right); whereas the NEW push-button bezel I received has that pin diagonally adjacent to that slot (left).

Of course, YMMV, but at least that's a quick way to distinguish between two things that definitely will not fit. Mk8 bezels are ridiculously easy to remove (compared to Mk7 anyway), so if you're thinking of going this route, check what you have and check what you're buying.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The one hiccup upon taking it for a test drive was that the button on the steering wheel to turn heated wheel on/off wasn't functioning. Everything else (volume, ACC, even drive assist button) all worked.

Thanks to @Cuzoe for pointing me to the clockspring being a sub-module of the Gateway, which got me to look at the adaptation options in Module 19.
Found this:

Changed that to ACTIVE, and we have a functioning button (icon in the upper right corner of the MIB display)!

Last edited:

UncleBumpy

TDI
'19 eGolf SEL
Thanks for sharing! Just picked up 2019 eGolf SEL and plan to do this in the next few weeks. Very new to VW, so theres some learning curve here, but Im really looking forward to adding ACC and the heated wheel. Admittedly, I wish I had analog gauges, so I might have to find someone who wants my digital cluster.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
What part number is that digital cluster? Firmware might not be usable on a gasser/TDI.
I'm making an assumption that you would be trying to sell your digital cluster for what it's probably worth, sort of... if you just want to offload it for cheap let me know, haha.

UncleBumpy

TDI
'19 eGolf SEL
Decided the swap to the Analog isnt worth it. I find that I like the map between the gauges far too much to let it go. Sorry Nuje!

UncleBumpy

TDI
'19 eGolf SEL
Update: I didn't document my swap to a Mk8 steering wheel with the capacitive ("touch") controls, but I did that not too long after getting my heated SW up and running. That required going to a new (Mk8) gateway - which requires some ODIS magic which I farm out to friends in far-off places (Finland in this case). I liked the look and touch buttons are the new "newness", so why not - oh so cool!

Fast-forward to March 2024, and you know what....as much as I was open-minded about the touch controls, I just never got used to them; literally every simple things from adjusting follow distance to volume to FFWD/REW had me looking down at my fingers just to make sure I was in the right place. And when I didn't....I invariably missed what my brain-finger connection was aiming for.

Soooo.....tl;dr:

The "too long" section:
I figured all I really needed was the bezel and push-buttons, right? Found a seller in Latvia - $120 shipped to me in Canada. Awesome!

Arrives in a couple weeks, but when I go to install it on my existing wheel, the "locking" pins on the bezel don't align with the holes in the steering wheel. And as you can tell from the two photos above, there's a cut-out for the volume and "channel" buttons on the lower part of the button arrays such that there's no way the capacitive button bezel will work with those physical buttons.

So much for that. 🤬

But now (granted, this is part of my pathology) I have it in my head that I "need" those physical buttons, so I keep trolling eBay and eventually find a full steering wheel, with heat, WITH the physical buttons (seems like a somewhat rare combo due to heat being a seemingly high-trim feature, while push-buttons are not). Somewhat rough shape with a few little nicks and abrasions, but... all the "new"-new ones are like $500+, I ask my wallet to go to the well for me one more time and I order up the steering wheel - $250 shipped.

Once it arrives, it installs just fine, but then I decide, you know what - I want that brand new bezel and brand new buttons I'd previously purchased on this wheel, so I pull off the bezel/buttons and go to install the shiny new ones and.....they don't fit.....in the same way that bezel doesn't fit into my original touch-button steering wheel.

Soooo.....off comes that slightly used/abused steering wheel, on goes my original touch-button steering wheel (still in pristine condition, and with the perforated leather at 9 and 3), and the bezel / push buttons from the used / abused steering wheel.

I did try to swap just the buttons from NEW to USED bezel, and while they fit, the connector from my airbag to the steering wheel is six-pin, while the those NEW buttons have a five-pin connector.

There's one quick tell (best I could find) to tell if your bezel will fit - or at least to distinguish between the two bezels without actually test-fitting:
On the backside of the bezel, near the base, where the removable logo plate sits....right about here:

The pin there on my original touch wheel's bezel and the USED one I purchased, that is almost parallel with a slot for the removable logo plate/insert (right); whereas the NEW push-button bezel I received has that pin diagonally adjacent to that slot (left).

Of course, YMMV, but at least that's a quick way to distinguish between two things that definitely will not fit. Mk8 bezels are ridiculously easy to remove (compared to Mk7 anyway), so if you're thinking of going this route, check what you have and check what you're buying.

Nuje, can you share the part number from the used/abused steering wheel? I too MUST have physical buttons and want to add heat - this seems to be the exact one I'll need on my 2019.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, just as an update, turns out that all is not wonderful with my tactile buttons swap: While I pressed the buttons and got the green icons for ACC and lane assist etc. showing up in the cluster, once I got it out on the highway, ACC doesn't work. So, no cruise as of right now. But Lane Assist is working.

I'm not sure if the non-functional ACC can be overcome with coding or adaptations in that module, or if it's gonna be back to touch-buttons for me. 🫤