MK7 Ares Skid Plate Kit REVIEW

vplukas101

TDI
2015 sportwagen
So during TDI fest I ended up talking to Aaron from Bora Parts, Inc and he had a Ares Skid Plate Kit with him. I ended up buying it and installing it the following day.
Mk7's all have plastic oil pans and this is a great way to protect them. Quality is great and everything fit like it should have. Installation took 40 MIN with the car on a lift. This plate is thick and can take a beating. Its nice having a peace of mind that my oil pan will be less likely to get cracked.
10/10 would recommend

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Nice to know there is an option out there for the Mk7.
Shame though that I won't be able to get a TDI Golf Sportwagen...

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
Mk7 TDI oil pan is stamped steel. The plastic you see is a noise insulating cover. I had mine apart last night while doing the 40k service. I pulled the plastic cover off to keep oil from soaking into the foam during the oil change (already partially soaked thanks to stupid dealer).

There is a rather expensive looking sensor (temp/level, I assume) mounted to the bottom of the pan, so I'm in no way saying the skid plate isn't a valid or worthwhile purchase.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
...mine was plastic
Did you take off the plastic cover that is pinned over the pan? If you look carefully you can see it in the photo. If you think the item you see in the photo you posted is your oil pan, you're wrong. That is an insulating cover. The oil pan is underneath it. When you pull the little retaining pins at the corners it comes off and you can see how the level/temp sensor is mounted.