mk4 - Trouble Getting Passenger Side (front) Strut Out

cactussam85

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 A3, '01 Golf TDI (retired)
Hey all, I've been working on a suspension upgrade by replacing the struts all the way around the car along with various bushings, etc, and am having a hell of a time getting the passenger side front strut out of my Golf TDI (2001 mk4 body style).

After banging on it for what felt like forever with my deadfall, to the point that the damn thing was falling apart and starting to spit the metal beads out, I finally broke down and MacGyvered a way to try to pop the strut out of the shoe using my floor jack. Now, the control arm is at the bottom of it's range of motion because it's contacting the axle, and I still have maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch to go before I can get it out. At this point, I am out of ideas on what to do here :-/ Picture below for reference.

Picture link (dropbox)

Maybe disconnect the ball joint and tie rod assembly and try to just maneuver it out by hand?

Any help would be really appreciated. I'm stepping away from it for now because I'm just too damn frustrated to work any longer on this project for tonight.

Last edited:

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Use the search function to lookup replacement procedure from myturbodiesel. If I knew how to post a link I would. The article is very thorough
The short answer is there are three ways.
1. Remove axle
2. Remove control arm. This makes sense if
you're doing the bushing.
3. Use a spring compressor on the car.
Edit: I forgot which method but moving the subframe is involed. Read the article. It is all inclusive. Pictures, part numbers the whole nine yards.

Last edited:

cactussam85

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 A3, '01 Golf TDI (retired)
I was able to finally get it out after disconnecting the tie rod and ball joint. I had to do some really awkward positioning to get the strut to come out of the wheel well where I was able to muscle it around by hand until it popped out of the knuckle. The project was a ***** to get done, and I'm glad it's all over with, but I'm feeling super accomplished at having saved over $1000 by doing it myself. Not to mention she drives like a totally different beast now, the difference is incredible!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Use the search function to lookup replacement procedure from myturbodiesel. If I knew how to post a link I would. The article is very thorough
The short answer is there are three ways.
1. Remove axle
2. Remove control arm. This makes sense if
you're doing the bushing.
3. Use a spring compressor on the car.
Edit: I forgot which method but moving the subframe is involed. Read the article. It is all inclusive. Pictures, part numbers the whole nine yards.
No to #1
Maybe to #2
Why to #3

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I was able to finally get it out after disconnecting the tie rod and ball joint. I had to do some really awkward positioning to get the strut to come out of the wheel well where I was able to muscle it around by hand until it popped out of the knuckle. The project was a ***** to get done, and I'm glad it's all over with, but I'm feeling super accomplished at having saved over $1000 by doing it myself. Not to mention she drives like a totally different beast now, the difference is incredible!
I did the passenger side by loosening the subframe down several inches. It gave the clearance to the axle to get the steering knuckle out of the way so the strut can be removed.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I too loosened the subframe on that side only, and the strut came out very easily. I read that the bolts can be reused and torqued to 100 ft. lbs.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Ive seen youtube videos where they put a strap over the LCA with a loop and step into it while pulling up. Pops it loose.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I have been undoing the passenger side inner CV joint from the trans along with the sway bar link bolt. Suspend the axle upward. That easily allows the control the arm to drop far enough to take the strut out of the knuckle. This does not disturb the alignment of the subframe.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Sometimes it's just as easy to undo the axle nut and bottom ball joint and brake then take the whole thing off the car to separate. Often quicker