MK4 Rear Bearing Hub & Stub Replace Problem.

CaliJetta

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have a slightly bent rear axle stub (2002 Jetta TDI) so I'm replacing both the rear stub and bearing this week. Received my parts from RMEuropean.com who I've had good luck. Also, followed some good online procedures.

Problem is after removing the stub and bearing, installing the new stub axle successfully, I then had difficulty placing the new bearing onto the stub.

With calipers I measured the od of the stub at 1.18", and the id of the bearing at 1.785". This seems to be a miss-match. I believe to have a good slip fit a clearance of 0.010" is needed. The online procedures/ videos show a smooth/ good fit.

Well I pushed the bearing very hard onto the stub. The stub then was stuck (only partially down the stub). I then had to use a puller to remove the bearing resulting in a damaged bearing (rear racing).

Will contact RMeuropean to get their advise. Seems like the hub id is undersize. The old stub od is also 1.18". Unless there is a special press fit to assemble the bearing onto the stub my only conclusion is the bearing is out of tolerance.

If anyone else has experience with installing the rear stub and axle would appreciate your input.

Reference install procesures:
Rear Bearing Replacement Jetta 2000
http://www.ccp.edu/site/about/ccptv/..._bearings.html

Stub 1J0501117B:
http://www.rmeuropean.com/search.asp...ord=1J0501117B

Bearing/ Hub
http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numb...ing-(2-Per-Car)-__1J0598477_FAG_55D21741.aspx

Thanks

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
I have found that the bearing will go on the stub far enough to get the nut started with a few taps on the inner race. I used a big socket to go over the stub and contact the bearing race. Once there were a few threads showing, the nut was used to draw the bearing in the rest of the way. It is not an easy push on by hand, but it is an easy press with the axle nut.

Paul

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
With calipers I measured the od of the stub at 1.18", and the id of the bearing at 1.785". This seems to be a miss-match. I believe to have a good slip fit a clearance of 0.010" is needed. The online procedures/ videos show a smooth/ good fit.

Something very wrong with those numbers and not being able to get the bearing on the stub. By your numbers the id of the bearing is 6/10" of a inch bigger than the stub. That's over a half inch difference in diameters.

CaliJetta

TDI
2002 Jetta
More Info.

Thanks for the input. I did try to get the bearing on the stub so I could place the nut. I was not able to get the hub on that far.

I realized the axle stub 1J0501117B measurement I gave previous post was wrong; 1.18" is actually 1.81" (I must be dyslexic). A 1.81" part fits inside a 1.785" part - not likely.

The last couple days drove (drove the Corolla) the family up to Sequoia national forest here in California. I would strongly suggest if you visit California to place the Sequoia national forest on your itinerary. :)

My suspicion is the bearing/ hub is out of tolerance. All the install procedures I've seen explain the new bearing/ hub slips onto the axle with out force or tools.

I do not have the Bentley procedure on this install; would really like to find out what the Bentley procedure is. If the Bentley procedure also describes a slip fit, then the bearing/ hub is out of tolerance. I will be shopping for a VW part, or purchase from the VW dealer :annoyed

If you have the Bentley rear bearing/ hub install instructions would love to see it :eek:

CaliJetta

TDI
2002 Jetta
Yes, I found the same video procedure on the rear axle bearing - awesome. Additionally the bearing slips onto the axle stub enough for him to place the nut. I am not able to place the nut.

After some digging I noticed the Bentley service manual describes using a 3420 tool to install the hub/ bearing. This forum posting describes it's use, but seems like everyone says is not needed.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23571

Snap-On has the 3420 tool for $14.90. Not sure about availability/ delivery time.
http://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDetail.aspx?itemid=29620008

I've also found thread where others have same problem as me. My conclusion is cheap Chinese parts? :rolleyes:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=246926

I am also seeing this MFG's bearings on ebay as new. Not sure I want to place part this on my car.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
Use a hammer and block of wood to pound it on the axle..theres no removing it or the bearing's junk.

CaliJetta

TDI
2002 Jetta
The Right Tool for the Right Job.

Received the VW 3420 tool from Snap-On. This did the trick.

My guess is the hub/ bearing 1J0-598-477 was good - the tolerances were on the high end. The assembly was very tight all the way on. Spoke to others about hub/ bearings - was told they need to fit tight.

The tool was cheap $25 including shipping - I suggest buying it if you need to replace your rear bearing hub. :cool:

wmgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle GLS 1.9L TDI
I've had good luck in the past either freezing the bearing or heating up to 200 deg F to fit to a shaft or inside a housing. You still need to have a Plan "B" as when you get it started you only have a minute or so at the most to drive the bearing home. I have various sizes of tubing and pipe laying around the shop to drive the inside race or outside race as needed and a large brass hammer.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I replaced a MK4 rear wheel bearing today for a friend. There was nothing wrong with the original, it was replaced because rust had expanded the ABS tone ring and trashed the sensor.

The new hub was supplied by a trusted Canadian vendor and branded Topran.

The new hub slid easily all the way onto the stub axle at room temperature, no hammering or pressing with the original nut required, but I torqued it down with the old nut to be sure. Hub was still able to slide on and off after removing the old nut.

There was no bearing play after installing the wheel and no noises on the test drive, so I called it good.

Should I be worried?

Simon

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
If they slip on somethings wrong. I have always gotten them on with the axle nut, no heat or cold needed.id be leary of assuming the stub was bent as the axle beams are the usual suspect

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Fit on the stub axles and hubs seems to vary- Did one rear about a year ago and it took more force than I liked but worked OK, did the other side today and was able to wiggle it on most of the way with the nut easily pulling it on the final millimeters.