mk4 jetta wagon suspension

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
So I just finished doing the new engine swap to the 2003 wagon i picked up. swapped in a 5 speed at the same time. I think i am going to keep the car and sell my trusty MK3 Jetta TDI.
BUT...This wagon need suspension in a bad way. Car has 220 kms on it but suspension is shot.
Id like to lower probably 1" and firm it up substantially. I will be making engine mount spacers to raise the engine back up an 1" and getting a skid plate.
My suspension budget would be probably $750 USD max. If I can get something much cheaper that will do the job nicely then that is a bonus.
Im mostly highway with a little city. My MK3 used to have and H&R cup kit and I loved it. I dont mind harsh ride, but want nice handling.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Eibach pro kit with bilstein b4 sports here, love it. Gives a 30mm drop and sits level, rear hardly moves when loaded up, goes pretty quick round corners and retains a bit of comfort.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
H&R cup kit 1.75" drop with bilstein sports awesome ride and imo save your money on the skid plate and engine spacers, both overrated .

Bajan

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
H&R cup kit 1.75" drop with bilstein sports awesome ride and imo save your money on the skid plate and engine spacers, both overrated .

Bajan
Seriously? Have you SEEN the amount of ventilated oil pans on this forum? In my opinion, a skid plate would be FIRST on my list of things to do before lowering an already lowish car. All it takes is being on a 2 lane highway and a chunk of ice falls off of an 18 wheeler and you can't swerve to avoid it, and BAM there goes your oil pan...

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I'll second the skid plate.
I scraped mine hard enough to cause a leak at stock height.
Dead serious, I was under 5 mph rolling up to a stop sign by my house, yeah, my road blows.

As far as lowering, my recommend route is GLI springs and Audi 90 bushings. I had that setup on my golf and it was fantastic other than the typical MKIV VW "I lowered my car and now it feels sporty, but handles like crap" problem.

Aviator69

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI (wanted)
Everyone wants to lower their stance but given the roads around here I want to raise my stance an 1" to 1.5" any ideas?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
What's the engine spacer mentioned earlier?>

I 3rd the skid plate, I have an VW shop 2 doors down, he probably averages 1-2 a month and buys a few cars with blown engines due to cracked oil pans.

Everyone wants to lower their stance but given the roads around here I want to raise my stance an 1" to 1.5" any ideas?
Lots of threads on raised wagon's. :p

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My subframe sits lower than the oil pan and takes the hits if any. You can fit engine spacers though to lift the engine up. Two plates plus bolts for the ends and a bush with longer bolts for the dogbone. I think 25mm is the most I've seen.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Seriously? Have you SEEN the amount of ventilated oil pans on this forum? In my opinion, a skid plate would be FIRST on my list of things to do before lowering an already lowish car. All it takes is being on a 2 lane highway and a chunk of ice falls off of an 18 wheeler and you can't swerve to avoid it, and BAM there goes your oil pan...

Seriously like I said unless your slam there's no need for a skid plate. The op said he looking for a 1" drop and IMO that's hardly worth it. Ooh and btw wth you driving behind an 18 wheeler anyways ? Really !

Bajan

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
Skid plate is gonna happen as well. I know our roads suck, and ice off vehicles is a realistic issue.
I want the drop for looks but I still want better than stock handling. its not a race car, but I want it to inspire confidence like my mk3 does.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Seriously like I said unless your slam there's no need for a skid plate. The op said he looking for a 1" drop and IMO that's hardly worth it. Ooh and btw wth you driving behind an 18 wheeler anyways ? Really !

Bajan
So you've never driven behind an 18 wheeler? Never seen debris on the road that you didn't avoid in time? If you say no, I call bulls**t.

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
My subframe sits lower than the oil pan and takes the hits if any. You can fit engine spacers though to lift the engine up. Two plates plus bolts for the ends and a bush with longer bolts for the dogbone. I think 25mm is the most I've seen.
unfortunately, your oil pan is in front of your sub frame. lol.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
unfortunately, your oil pan is in front of your sub frame. lol.

Yeh but it still sits higher, I've hit the subframe before when I was on lower springs, about 35-40mm drop but never the pan. Besides, I've got another 3 pans in the shed as spares lol

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh I have, changed a few. I find it way easier off my big jack than the ramp though, lying on your back with your arms in front of you seems more natural then trying to have them above your head while you undo a trillion bolts.

I go for sump swap over turbo swap but drive shaft over either and bottom ball joint before any lol

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Bajan
SORRY, NO. I have a Panzer plate that has already collected more than its share of gouges and scrapes in the last 90k miles since I bought the TDI and installed the plate shortly after. There are exactly ZERO good reasons to not install a skid plate below the ALH engine, the oil pan is the lowest point on the entire front end of the car, and unless you are driving on Nascar-paved roads... You WILL encounter tires, rocks, ice, ladders, or something else hazardous to your engine at some point.

I took my TDI to the Grand Canyon, and one of the actual roads itself impacted the skid plate, b/c the tour buses had compressed the edges of the road at a stop sign, causing a 4 inch crown in the center of the lane! Without that plate, I would have been getting TOWED back nearly 80 miles to civilization.

FYI: I've actually raised my wagon's ride height, and the skid plate is still just as valuable. That one time when I found a LADDER in the middle of my lane at 70mph comes to mind.

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I bit the bullet. Always easier when it goes on the credit card first. Lol.
Picked up a set of Bilstein TC struts all around. Sport model. Wagon specific. Also picked up the H&R sport springs. Shipped to my door for $700 CDN.
Pretty happy with the price. Hope I like them. Rear struts on back order. 2 weeks out. No biggie. Gotta get the MK3 in saftied condition now.

swanster

TDI
2011 TDI Jetta sportwagon
I used Tiguan springs to lift our 2011 JSW , put a Panzer skid plate and upped the tire size to 225/50/17. I love it and it drives better than stock. I am looking to buy a 2005 Passat TDI wagon to drive to Mexico where I cannot get the ultra low sulfur diesel. I will use another Panzer plate but I want to lift it as well, anyone know of a setup that will work on a 2005 Passat wagon?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Eibach pro kit with bilstein b4 sports here, love it. Gives a 30mm drop and sits level, rear hardly moves when loaded up, goes pretty quick round corners and retains a bit of comfort.
Did you use this number?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Must be an old number, google has no idea what that number is, :(

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I remember google used to have the option of UK only or worldwide, seem to have done away with that. Seen them on ebay.com, think they're from Germany but he ships to the USA