mixed used oil into fuel

beauzer97

TDI
passat 96'
has anybody ever done this with there 1.9 diesel? mixed used motor oil in with there diesel? my dad does it with his john deere tractors. just wondering one the mix ratio

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
The proper mix ratio is 0 parts waste motor oil to 5,000,000,000 parts diesel fuel.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
There have been discussions here ad nauseum. Please search, and you will not need to rehash it all over again.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
DON'T.

Waste oil contains minute particles that are small enough to get past filters. LOTS of minute particles.

Your TDI has a very close-tolerance high-technology fuel injection system. That John Deere tractor probably has an ancient-technology fuel injection system that is more tolerant of "issues" with the fuel quality.

Your TDI has a catalytic converter that can be clogged or damaged if the fuel going into the engine isn't up to snuff. The John Deere doesn't.

Don't even think about it. Old tricks don't always work in the new world.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Ask yourself this: are you OK with removing emissions hardware and upgrading injectors and/or resealing your fuel injection pump?

If the answer was 'yes' then you can proceed.

I work with a guy who does 50/50 in a 01 Dodge and has for some 170k, to my knowledge, he hasn't replaced anything. I'm not saying that his dodge is anything like the vw tdi, but I am saying I've seen this successfully done.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
There were some studies I read somewhere about mixing used motor oil with diesel and running it. The oil was filtered to .5 micron and then mixed in various ratios with diesel on a few different test engines. the results were that concentrations less than 2 percent had no effect on any of the engines after 1,000 hours of use.

However the test engines were all old tech stuff, a kubota, a idi vw diesel and a 4 cylinder mercedes diesel.

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
Were you asleep in high school chemistry? While polycyclic aromatics, multi-branched alkanes, lower alkene oligomers, etc. have good lubricating properties they are also low cetane. That is why fuel is made from a naphthenic feedstock or from saturated fatty acids like stearic acid; n-alkanes.

Do not get me wrong. You have my full blessing to do this if you wish. I'm just asking did you ever do your homework?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Sure. Have fun. Put those saved $$ in a savings account to pay for the rebuild of the injector pump and the injectors.....

brucebanes

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.B
I can't imagine driving behind someone doing this. Try sitting behind your dads John Deere tractor when he's burning this mixture. I remember visiting the East Germany in the 80s when most of them drove Trabbis (2 cycle motors). These are like lawnmower engines where you mix 2 parts gasoline and 1 part motor oil. It stunk horrible there. The cars had clouds of gray smoke coming from them and you would choke just driving behind one.

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
face palm at the beginning of the thread was most fitting, if not most informative. ive got nothing else to add other than i certainly wouldnt do this to MY car.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
I've done it- but only in my 1985 Jetta with the 1.6. That thing will run on just about anything that pours. Still has almost perfect compression, no leaks, drips, or issues with the IP or anything else..... Oh, the speedo is somewhere north of 250,000 miles.
I DO filter all my alternate fuel down to .5 micron absolute. On short trips( less than 15 miles) I only run alternative fuels as an additive to regular diesel- always around 2% to aid lubricity. On longer trips, I flip the switch to tank #2 and run 100% straight alternate fuel.
Been doing this since 2001.

For filtering, you cannot rely on a normal fuel filter- they only filter down to abt 20 microns, and even that is not absolute.

On the 1.9 (pictured) I will run only B2 (2% biodiesel) or 100% diesel with dieselkleen. Why take a chance on such a high priced engine?

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Tom W. said:
On the 1.9 (pictured) I will run only B2 (2% biodiesel) or 100% diesel with dieselkleen. Why take a chance on such a high priced engine?
I am not advocating the use of used engine oil in fuel, however information is your best friend, and it reduces the risk of misfueling. For instance, I and many others know what we are doing when we run B100 on the ALH and PD engines. The risk is no different or even lower than getting bad diesel fuel from a commercial source.

Edit: I just noticed bigarnie's graphic - OMG! :D

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
Sharing experience/knowledge.

UFO said:
I am not advocating the use of used engine oil in fuel, however information is your best friend, and it reduces the risk of misfueling. For instance, I and many others know what we are doing when we run B100 on the ALH and PD engines. The risk is no different or even lower than getting bad diesel fuel from a commercial source.

Edit: I just noticed bigarnie's graphic - OMG! :D
Why I love TDI CLUB. I think experience is your best friend- information gleaned from experience of others can be your 2nd best friend. Obviously, You and others running on B100 have the experience- and hard-won knowledge- to be comfortable running B100.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Tom W. said:
Why I love TDI CLUB. I think experience is your best friend- information gleaned from experience of others can be your 2nd best friend. Obviously, You and others running on B100 have the experience- and hard-won knowledge- to be comfortable running B100.
I think you're confusing WVO and B100. B100 should be totally fine to fill any good running TDI's tank - so long as you keep an extra fuel filter handy.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
confused? hardly.

WVU TDI said:
I think you're confusing WVO and B100. B100 should be totally fine to fill any good running TDI's tank - so long as you keep an extra fuel filter handy.
Actually, I've run WVO since 2001- long before most people even heard of the idea. - You'd be suprised what these old 1.6 IDI's can successfully run on- IF you know what you're doing.

I've also seen perfectly good 1.9 TDI's run into all kinds of problems running B100. As I said: Personal experience is invaluable. search thru some of the old blogs to see what problems you can run into with B100. If you think all you need to do is carry an extra fuel filter.........you have a lot to learn. Better to learn it from someone else's experience. It's a lot cheaper.

SonyAD

banned Borat
TDI
Peugeot 206 2.0 HDi
You might **** up the HPFP and injectors. Used engine oil likely contains metallic microparticles from engine wear big enough to damage the minute tolerances in the injection system.

Then again, you might be driving everyday with minute metal filings in your tank (from the station and/or your own HPFP beginning to fail) without ever noticing until your HPFP dumps a load on its self.

Use ashless 2-stroke oil instead or new, cheap mineral oil instead. Though know that you might have problems with injector and combustion chamber coking or worse with the latter. There's already discussion on these topics.

If you try WVO you'll probably crapola the engine in some epic fashion as others have done.

I don't think there's any known issue to using B100. But, to be safe, I'd still use something with a lot more petroleum stock. I wouldn't use anything with no biodiesel at all, either.

Last edited:

Danno!

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline
My GF bought a 2006 Golf (PD engine) A few months later, it died near our home. After looking into it, I noticed the fuel pump was not working. After removing it, I noticed it was covered in a sooty, black film. The impeller of the pump was covered with this crap, causing it to jam up. The tank was also coated. I emptied the tank and wiped it clean and replaced the entire pump assembly for reliability reasons. The fuel filter was seriously contaminated (replaced) and I purged the injectors.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!! I suspect the previous owner was dumping his waste oil in the tank.

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
Just as a side note, if you are running B100, keep an eye on your fuel lines and seals on your IP. B100 is a very strong solvent and while your fuel lines should be fine (my 99's lines might need to be upgraded to vitton) your seals may not be if you switch back and forth between dino and bio diesel.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
scythefwd said:
Just as a side note, if you are running B100, keep an eye on your fuel lines and seals on your IP. B100 is a very strong solvent and while your fuel lines should be fine (my 99's lines might need to be upgraded to vitton) your seals may not be if you switch back and forth between dino and bio diesel.
I'm waiting for time to tell, but I think this late into the game if your IP seals were gonna give you fits they should have already done so with the ULSD push.

I'm rocking B100 in a 235k ALH that so far as I know has never seen it before, and I don't know the pump maintenance history.

I like adventure! :D

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
kcfoxie - going from usld or lsd to bio is a non issue, its the switch back that does it if I remember right. I think the bio causes the seals to swell and going back to usld/lsd causes them to shrink and leak. I have never ran more than b20 in the car and I don't worry about it... but some people have experienced it.

maniaq

TDI
tdi 2000
always burn my use engine oil in my tdi 2000, still running fine, same fuel pump same injectors, the engine don't smoke at all. 280 000 mile on it. i add 250 ml in a full tank (around 50L). fuel economy is between 40-45 mpg. i did not know that doing this is hard on the fuel injection system.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
scythefwd said:
kcfoxie - going from usld or lsd to bio is a non issue, its the switch back that does it if I remember right. I think the bio causes the seals to swell and going back to usld/lsd causes them to shrink and leak. I have never ran more than b20 in the car and I don't worry about it... but some people have experienced it.
So basically don't put more than 20% diesel into the rig and no worries, gotcha :)

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
kcfoxie said:
So basically don't put more than 20% diesel into the rig and no worries, gotcha :)
That is not what I am saying. I am saying don't go switching back and forth from using high concentrations of biodiesel to using straight D2. If you are going to use high concentrations (some people say as low as B5 is enough to do this) of biodiesel, stick to using that and do not go back to running d2 or you may have problems.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I can see that with B40+, but anything under B20 shouldn't have an issue.

WAY too many cars that get B20 tanks and D2 tanks back and forth.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
maniaq said:
always burn my use engine oil in my tdi 2000, still running fine, same fuel pump same injectors, the engine don't smoke at all. 280 000 mile on it. i add 250 ml in a full tank (around 50L). fuel economy is between 40-45 mpg. i did not know that doing this is hard on the fuel injection system.
What about your catalytic converter and the entire exhaust system? Have you pulled the EGR to see how much CRUD buildup there is in there?