Minnesota - Maintenance and parts

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
Since warmer is here I thought I would start changing the oil and such on my new Jetta. But have been having problems getting parts outside of the dealership. No one can get the cabin filter. The parts stores can get the oil filter but don't carry it in the store and the only place I have found that has CG-4 or CH-4 rated systhetic oil is the Truck stop in Rogers. Any local or internet shops that you would suggest?
Since I am now at my 20K checkup I am also going to need to find a supplier for the fuel filter.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
For parts that are not available locallly, I bundle my purchases at www.vwparts.com or Jim at www.dieselgeek.com or www.germanautoparts.com all places should have all the maintenance parts you are looking for.

As for buying the oil filter locally but not at a VW dealer, caveat emptor: IMHO if the cartridge filter does not have an indication of which side goes up, you are not getting OEM quality. The filters are like $6.00 at the sites above.

When I buy online I always get enough maintenance parts to justify the shipping. In your case I would buy a fuel filter, 2 oil filters, cabin filter; as that will carry you till the 40,000 mile point.

Ziegler Cat Service in Saint Cloud as the CAT 5W40 that is the private labeled Delvac for about $21. I bought a 5 gallon pail of Chevron Delo Synthetic 5W40 from J&M Oil in Saint Cloud for $17.85/gallon. As I need to maintain my warranty with changing the oil every 10,000 miles, almost any full synthetic 5W40 CH-4 rated oil will do. Delvac can be run more than 10,000 miles with no trouble, but the warranty is an issue. (I was running a test program on my dearly departed 1999.5, and Delvac was great at 10K miles.)

If you are planning on changing your own oil, I highly recommend installing a fumoto drain valve that you can buy in the classifieds here. ( www.fumotovalve.com ) I cut a hole in my belly pan right below the oil pan drain where the valve is installed, and then I only have to remove access cover screws to change the oil.

Shuiqlazam

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta - Blue, 2004 Passat - Black, 2010 Touareg Grey
I just did my 10k oil change.

I got some mann filters from a web site. Not sure where. Someone who knows where please update this post.

I used the Cat Diesel Engine Oil 5W-40. I bought it from Ziegler cat in Bloomington. I can get the part number for it. It was $21.00 for a gallon, which is exaclty what the jetta needs.

email shuiqlazam@hongkong.com and I can get you the part number for the Cat (delvac) oil.

Shui

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
You can get Delvac 1 from Egan Oil in Anoka. But you have to buy a case. It is under $100. They prefer check or charge, cash is okay but all the workers scrambled their pockets to find change unless you have the exact change.

Unfortunely for the oil filter, I buy them at West Side auto. They sell them reasonably cheap and include a crush washer. Now they are under new ownership, I am not sure how LutherAuto will be. For the cost of the oil filter plus tax, it is almost the same as getting it on-line plus shipping.

danmiddle

You can buy retail Mobil 1 Delvac at the Mobil station in Eden Prairie (W Gordon Smith Mobil ? at 8051 Flying Cloud Dr.) - it's the big Mobil there across from the mall near Kinko's. They have it for sale by the gallon.

Daniel M

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
Canast:

I've used all of the internet shops posted by Curious Chris. All are good, I use German Auto Parts and Dieselgeek primarily. Jim Royston, of dieselgeek.com, is a super fellow to do business with. I've had absolutely ZERO problems getting parts and maintenance items sent to me from either company to my abode up here in Bemidji.

I travel an hour and twenty minutes over to Crookston to buy CAT DEO Synthetic 5W-40 from Ziegler. I've had excellent results with this oil and plan to run it year-round in my Passat. I like AMSOIL, but I don't see any point in paying the membership fee after using the CAT/Delvac 1, and will not use AMSOIL's Series 3000 5W-30 in the engine. I have used AMSOIL's 15W-40 during the summer months with excellent results and like the product, but no longer see the point of doing so after using the CAT. Too bad Amsoil has such a good cetane booster available. . .that product is hard to replace.

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
Thank You everyone. Ziegler, now that is one place I had not thought of looking at.

TDI

I've gotten air filters (engine) from Red Rooster http://www.red-rooster.com/ They are my favorite autoparts store!
When I last changed my air filter they said they had cabin filters as well. As for oil filters I have used Napa. The oil filter from Napa has the baffle on the inside and comes with a new copper crush washer for your drain plug.

Nate