Mini Spare?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Anyone know where to get one that will work?

I have plans for the space that becomes available

(BTW I have an A4)

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Kerma:

I don't think that VW makes a space saver spare tire, but you can get an electric air pump and a can of hole-plugging goop to put in place of your spare tire. This photo is the trunk of an R32 Golf. I think that the diameter of the tire used on that car is too big to allow a full size spare to fit in the well under the trunk - so they put the air pump and can of goop in there instead. The Phaeton also comes with an air pump and can of goop, in place of a spare tire.

Replacement for Spare Tire on R32

AutobahnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
no more TDI :(
Why doesn't the R32 have a spare? I understand that an 18" wheel won't fit in there, but why don't they have a smaller spare? The 337 has 18" but I think it still has a real spare tire.

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
Why doesn't the R32 have a spare? I understand that an 18" wheel won't fit in there, but why don't they have a smaller spare? The 337 has 18" but I think it still has a real spare tire.
The 337 doesn't have AWD like the R32 does.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
It's not the diameter that won't fit... All Mk4 tires are 25" in diameter, regardless of wheel size. It's the full sized spare's width (even if they used the 195/65-15 stock spare) that won't fit in the r32's smaller trunkspace.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to avoid possible confusion, I should mention that I took the picture of the R32 trunk (above) in Switzerland. It is possible that R32's shipped to North America may be equipped with some kind of spare tire, rather than the air pump and goop bottle.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
any 5x100 car will have one . . . any thing other than a VW.

Ya gotta find out a Honda or Toyota or some other junk car in a pick and pull

the diameter is always messed up anyway so just look for a proper bolt pattern.

I've actually been thinkin about going the opposite way with our Volvo. Now that we have a winter and summer set of rims - try and get the full size in that wheel well. . . actually lookst like it will fit - (but lookin at and digging out the summer tires and actually checking are two differen things

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I've actually been thinkin about going the opposite way with our Volvo. Now that we have a winter and summer set of rims - try and get the full size in that wheel well. . . actually lookst like it will fit - (but lookin at and digging out the summer tires and actually checking are two differen things
If you have a 240 a full size tire will fit in place of the funny shaped spare.

-Jack

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
its an 850 . . . yeah I know about the size fitment of the 240 . .. the 850 has the tire under the floor mat like the golf or jetta . . . . thanks.

s for the kits - pick up a bottle of slime ($5) and a small air pump ($15-50) and you are set.

I like the AllRoad Spare . . . is that the same as the TT?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i was not implying that the TT shared the bolt pattern but the same cool verdestein deflated emergency spare tire . . . sorry for the confusion

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
oh. i dunno. the TT came out 2 model years before the Allroad, so if the vredenstein tire is "cutting edge" technology it may not have been available when the tt was released?

just a wild guess. If i think to look at a tt if/when i come across an Audi dealer in Madrid, I'll take a look and a pic.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I've actually been thinkin about going the opposite way with our Volvo. Now that we have a winter and summer set of rims - try and get the full size in that wheel well. . .
What kind of Volvo? In a 245 (wagon), a full size spare (185R14 or 195/75R14 for most; 195/60R15 for turbo is smaller) will fit in the spare tire space.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Something else to keep in mind - the full size spare tire present in most North American cars is there because it forms part of the impact protection system, to meet the safety specs that deal with impact absorbtion, fuel tanks not exploding like Pinto's when you get rear ended, etc.

The fuel tank issue might not be a big concern for us, given that we use diesel fuel, but our Golf's and Jetta's don't have a whole lot of bodywork hanging out back behind the rear seat passengers. I don't think I would want to further reduce impact protection by removing the spare.

There was a study done not so long ago inquiring into why so many police officers were injured or killed when their big Ford Crown Victoria's were rear-ended. Seems the common casual factor was that they had all removed the spare tire from the trunk well, to allow them to store other stuff in there.

Michael

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What kind of Volvo? In a 245 (wagon), a full size spare (185R14 or 195/75R14 for most; 195/60R15 for turbo is smaller) will fit in the spare tire space.
the next post addresses this:

a 1993 850 GLT sedan. non-turbo. 195 60 15 tires . . .

now that I've bleed the clutch, brakes, and tightened the throttle cable, and put Duron 5W-40 in the engine and MTL in the tranny the car is smooth and not too bad.

It loves to go to redline - smoooth power - not much torque but fast . . .